Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone might know where the TPM sensor for the spare tire is located and if it might be able to be relocated, since I got the new spare tire mount I now get a message that the spare tire has low air pressure. I would like to be able to either turn that sensor off or relocate it to the new spare tire location. I hope that some body might be able to help me.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
This is something I need to do as well. If it cannot be relocated I planned to make a air filled canister and attach it near the sensor with the spare transmitter attached.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
That sounds like it might be a good idea, but where is the sensor located. Have you figured that out yet?
Honestly I haven't even looked for it, I will crawl under the Commander tonight and see what I can find.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
This is odd, because I have the spare on the roof rack and I don't get a TPMS warning on my spare. I have even left it at home on ocassion and didn't get the warning. Mine is an 07.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spoke to my dealer guy and he said that there is no sensor pick up in the spare tire area. He told me that the TPMs in the wheels send out a radio type signal that is picked up by the computer, his thoughs were that maybe the battery in the wheel died. :icon_confused: I didn't get any messages for about two weeks after the wheel was moved to the back. Things to make us go HUMMMMM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Spoke to my dealer guy and he said that there is no sensor pick up in the spare tire area. He told me that the TPMs in the wheels send out a radio type signal that is picked up by the computer, his thoughs were that maybe the battery in the wheel died. :icon_confused: I didn't get any messages for about two weeks after the wheel was moved to the back. Things to make us go HUMMMMM.
That's correct, you can think of it almost like a powered RFID tag. It explains why if you're quick when rotating tires and starting it back up, it's a few minutes before the correct pressures are shown in the proper locations, and also why when filling or letting out pressure the values aren't updated instantly.

I haven't tested it but I'd expect if I dropped my spare in the garage before going to work that it would just maintain the old pressure (or that of the next nearest wheel) until it's in range for another update. I wouldn't be surprised if the behavior was dependent on computer software version though.

If I wake up early enough before having to hit the road tomorrow, I'll see what mine does if I leave the spare at home this way...and the next day I'll check by intentionally lowering the pressure to the point it sounds the alarm before leaving it at home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts