Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TPMS this week has been acting very weird. Monday on the way to/from work, the TPMS light was flashing for about a minute or so after starting the jeep, then shut off. The next day and a half, the TPMS light was on again, but a steady on. Somehow yesterday after work, the TPMS came on at startup for its usual system check, then shut off. Today, the light came back after startup as a steady on. Tires are not lower than usual, but starting to think something is really messed up w/ the TPMS. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Cold weather at night can cause tire pressure to drop. It is also a good idea to keep your tires fully inflated.

·
Registered
564 Posts
And don't forget to check the spare tire as well.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
And don't forget to check the spare tire as well.
good thing you thought of that, I always forget that there is a sensor in the spare.

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
With the colder weather approaching youll find that you need to add a few more pounds of air to each tire. Just make sure you check the tire pressure after the vehicle has been sitting for at least 3 hours.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
with the colder weather approaching youll find that you need to add a few more pounds of air to each tire. Just make sure you check the tire pressure after the vehicle has been sitting for at least 3 hours.
x2........

·
Registered
130 Posts
Its the weather, mine did the same the other day, I put air in all 4 tires, the light turned off immediately.

·
Registered
452 Posts
As we near winter time, and we all know how some of us can't check tire pressures religiously 'outsite', an ideal method is to add about 2-3 psi above the 'cold pressure' on all tires. This way, as the temperature drops as we approach the bittery cold, the thinking-ahead idea will compensate and drop the psi down to its ideal levels. This is just a thought, but I find it handy since I can't always check it weekly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update:

took the commander to the dealer to have the tpms checked out, turned out i unknowingly had a small nail lodged into the right front tire, causing a slow leak and the tpms light to turn on. they patched the area for $20. Also, somehow one of the techs cracked the tpms sensor for that tire/rim and gave me a new one under warranty. As of now, the tpms light is off. Hopefully that takes care of my tpms woes.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
update:

took the commander to the dealer to have the tpms checked out, turned out i unknowingly had a small nail lodged into the right front tire, causing a slow leak and the tpms light to turn on. they patched the area for $20. Also, somehow one of the techs cracked the tpms sensor for that tire/rim and gave me a new one under warranty. As of now, the tpms light is off. Hopefully that takes care of my tpms woes.
Well,
In this case, the system did a good job and worked as advertised.
It is easy to fall into the trap of , They all screw up, and not take the warning seriously.
I suspect the majority work as advertised.
Regarding the pressure loss due to cooler weather, try to remember that for every seven degree drop (or rise) in ambient temperature, pressure changes by one P.S.I.
Here in N/E Illinois, the nightime temp is dropping down to about 55 degrees.
Last month, it was dropping down to the high 60,s
So, just in the last 30 days, most vehicles are starting off 2 to 3 P.S.I. lower than this time last month.
Just a F.Y.I. when T.P.M.S. enters the discussion.

Thanks for reporting back,
This is useful to all,
......Rob

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,
In this case, the system did a good job and worked as advertised.
It is easy to fall into the trap of , They all screw up, and not take the warning seriously.
I suspect the majority work as advertised.
Regarding the pressure loss due to cooler weather, try to remember that for every seven degree drop (or rise) in ambient temperature, pressure changes by one P.S.I.
Here in N/E Illinois, the nightime temp is dropping down to about 55 degrees.
Last month, it was dropping down to the high 60,s
So, just in the last 30 days, most vehicles are starting off 2 to 3 P.S.I. lower than this time last month.
Just a F.Y.I. when T.P.M.S. enters the discussion.

Thanks for reporting back,
This is useful to all,
......Rob

I know what you mean, temp-wise. That can have an effect on P.S.I. . Here in S/E Michigan, lows have been in the 50-60 degree range so far, only to eventually get cooler in the months to come. Bought a digital tire pressure gauge to get a more accurate reading, that will be easier to keep track of P.S.I. should the TPMS light come back on.

Other than that, if it wasn't for the tpms system, i wouldn't have known about the low tire pressure/nail in tire :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts