Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at wheels and tires for the last month and have been keeping my eye out for used wheels on craigslist. My questions is do I need the TPMS sensors in the wheels? I have an 07 Commander 4.7L.

I believe all of the Commanders have the sensors but do I need them for any reason? I could live with a light on the dash that indicates no TPMS, i just want to be clear that it doesnt affect the computer in any way.

Oh if you are wondering I am looking at 18x8 Black wheels (looking at ATX right now) and upgrading to 255/65 toyo open country. And a 2" RC lift to ensure a proper fit. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help in advance, I have been reading this forum reigiously for months, thought i might try out for some advice.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
i have been thinking the same thing....wheels without sensors for off road tires.

I have been looking at wheels and tires for the last month and have been keeping my eye out for used wheels on craigslist. My questions is do I need the TPMS sensors in the wheels? I have an 07 Commander 4.7L. ..Thanks for the help in advance, I have been reading this forum reigiously for months, thought i might try out for some advice.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
You do not NEED the sensors, it is a pain to see the display on the dash all the time but I have a set with no sensors and other than the little light and an occassional chime there is no problem.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
You do not NEED the sensors, it is a pain to see the display on the dash all the time but I have a set with no sensors and other than the little light and an occassional chime there is no problem.
What he said.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! thats what i was hoping to hear. I do not intend to buy wheels for offroading purposes, mostly for looks. but I am going with wider tires with the future hopes of the possiblity to take the Commander offroad. I am not as interested with rock crawling but would like to find some dirt/mud/hills that kind of offroading. oh and of course living in minnesota I'll get to try it in the snow this winter!

I did some searching but may need to start another thread, but is anyone here from Southern Minnesota, Southwest Wisconsin area? Just looking for some mild off roading.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm curious. Can the sensors be moved to the new wheels? I am probably going to get some new wheels next year and I like having the sensors, they have saved me a headache a couple of times.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm curious. Can the sensors be moved to the new wheels? I am probably going to get some new wheels next year and I like having the sensors, they have saved me a headache a couple of times.
Most likely, yes.

:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just fitted steel off road rims to my Commander. Just swapped the sensors from the original rims to the new ones. No problems at all, there is a small rubber sealing ring that you need to be carefull not to break when removing the sensor. But it would be easy enough to replace with an o ring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts