Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a bad valve stem/TPMS in one of my tires, when I took out the spare, which is a brand new tire, i noticed the spare has a tams sensor in it. Does the car recognize that sensor too?? if I were to make the wheel with the bad sensor my spare and had the tpms replaced with a rubber valve stem will the car start giving me warnings?? or will I have to invest in a new tpms for that tire???

thanks

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
955 Posts
Yes the spare tire is monitored as well as the 4 on the ground. Yes you will get messages about it being low on air if you remove it from the spare. There are ways to turn off TPMS for all using some programers. Keeping the TPMS in the spare would be best repair and I think the tire most needed for air pressure. Best to search for "TPMS" in the Search Community box above.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found this...
does the "re-learning" process work on the 2006?? or only newer models. I've been seeing other sights where they say only 2008-10

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've got a bad valve stem/TPMS in one of my tires, when I took out the spare, which is a brand new tire, i noticed the spare has a tams sensor in it. Does the car recognize that sensor too?? if I were to make the wheel with the bad sensor my spare and had the tpms replaced with a rubber valve stem will the car start giving me warnings?? or will I have to invest in a new tpms for that tire???

thanks
Had the same issue when I bought mine. after going back and forth about what sensors will and wont work I ended up just disabling the TPMS using the JSCAN app. It cost $20 to register the vin to have full access to the computer. So that is one option out of a few like @rblapham mentioned.

on a side note if you do replace your tpms, post back which ones you bought.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this may sound dumb....
but how does the car know if there is a TPMS in the spare tire?? if the spare isn't in the car and there is no recognition, wouldn't it be the same as if the spare was riding underneath with a standard tire valve in it. I can understand if I put the spare on to use and I would get a warning, but if it is just riding along does the car really recognize it

·
Administrator
15,932 Posts
this may sound dumb....
but how does the car know if there is a TPMS in the spare tire?? if the spare isn't in the car and there is no recognition, wouldn't it be the same as if the spare was riding underneath with a standard tire valve in it. I can understand if I put the spare on to use and I would get a warning, but if it is just riding along does the car really recognize it
@Tmarkreis Their are sensors for each of the tires.

·
Registered
189 Posts
this may sound dumb....
there are 3 transponders that read the TPMS, they are in the front driver, front passenger, and rear passenger wheel wells. it can distinguish between the driver rear and the spare because only one of them is moving and the system can tell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts