Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
reset TPMS?

Last night I swapped my regular wheels for a set of winter wheels I had prepared earlier this year. The rims are the 5 spoke design many of you have stock (got them for a steal on eBay) with a set of new TPM sensors. Now I'm getting the "Service Tire Pressure System" message with the yellow lighted symbol and none of the tire pressures register on the dash. I drove 40 miles and 45 minutes to work, and it didn't seem to learn the new sensors. Is there a way to reset the system? Of course, I'd like to avoid a trip to the dealer with this. I know I can drive it the way it is, but flashing lights and messages popping up all the time will really anoy me at some point. :(

·
Registered
324 Posts
You need to make sure you have the 06 or 07 sensors the 08 and up will not work with your Jeep. You don't need to ask me how I know.
:(

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to make sure you have the 06 or 07 sensors the 08 and up will not work with your Jeep. You don't need to ask me how I know.
:(
How do I check?

·
Registered
324 Posts
You would have to compare part numbers on the sensors. Whats funny is my stealership told me they would work, I don't think they even pulled up the parts diagram.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Is the pressure of the new tires the same as the old? When I changed to the larger tires the sensors needed a day or two to get used to the new (higher) pressure after a little driving the light on the dash went off.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the pressure of the new tires the same as the old? When I changed to the larger tires the sensors needed a day or two to get used to the new (higher) pressure after a little driving the light on the dash went off.
Really...?!?!? That brings hope. My winter tires are stock size, so I'm running the recommended 35psi.

These are the ones I'm running: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190272824346

The seller states they work with 2007 models. I've done some quick googling, and it seems that there are at least 3 different part numbers for sensors that were used for my model year.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You would have to compare part numbers on the sensors. Whats funny is my stealership told me they would work, I don't think they even pulled up the parts diagram.
I wonder which sensor they originally sold you. It seems sensors for older GCs or the Compass, for example, are different from the 2007 JC. Maybe they gave you sensors for a completely different model. :icon_confused:

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Try to give it a day or two that is about how long mine took to work. Looking at the Ebay page it says 2007-2009 in the description and 2007-2008 in the title so I am thinking it may not be a match. The seller may have mis-typed the info and maybe it is supposed to say 2008-2009.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awww, nuts...

So I've been doing a bit of research and happened upon a parts list for the XK.

BTW, credit to "Gramps" over on jeepforums.com for posting info concerning parts over on their site: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303655&page=3

So here are the part #'s for TPM sensors:

2006XK = 56053030AB
2007XK = 56053036AA
2008XK = 56029359AA

Is this going to mean that its that year specific? Why would they go through so much trouble to use different ones year after year...? Does anyone know any more about this? It seems that I have sensors for MY 2008 in my 2007.

If anyone would like one of those parts catalogs and the links don't work, I have them for 2006 - 08. The are ~500 pages long and 9 - 10MB in size.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I've given it a few days with no luck. It seems MY800 was 100% right. There were moments some numbers were popping up, but they never changed and looked like the pressures of the previous tires before I took them off.

Oh, well... I guess I'll look around for some new sensors. :ugh2:

BTW, it seems that the frequencies at which the sensors transmit changes, at least from 2007 to 2008.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
BTW, it seems that the frequencies at which the sensors transmit changes, at least from 2007 to 2008.
They probably made that change because of all the complaints of interference to the system from outside sources.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sorry man, I think it may have had something to do with the CAN BUS change for 08. Try e-bay, a 06 or 07 set should work fine.
Good Luck

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I've been doing a bit of research and happened upon a parts list for the XK.

BTW, credit to "Gramps" over on jeepforums.com for posting info concerning parts over on their site: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303655&page=3

So here are the part #'s for TPM sensors:

2006XK = 56053030AB
2007XK = 56053036AA
2008XK = 56029359AA

Is this going to mean that its that year specific? Why would they go through so much trouble to use different ones year after year...? Does anyone know any more about this? It seems that I have sensors for MY 2008 in my 2007.

If anyone would like one of those parts catalogs and the links don't work, I have them for 2006 - 08. The are ~500 pages long and 9 - 10MB in size.
So after a month of driving around with blinking lights and service messages, I had new TPM sensors installed this morning, and now everything works fine. I can confirm that the correct ones for the 2007 model are the 56053036AA. The wrong ones I had in there were the 56029359AA for the 2008 Commander. Lesson learned...

If anyone with an '08 Commander would like to buy a set of TPM sensors, I will post in the for sale section.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
CommanderChaos and I swapped wheels and tires last weekend - he has a 2008 and I have a 2006 XK.

Since we did this, I've had an intermittent flashing yellow light (cross-section of a tire with an exclamation point) which I believe to be the TPMS warning. The pressure on all tires and the spare are fine.

Do I need to perhaps reset my XK's computer, or are these things just not compatible?

I know that someone out there knows... I'll try the reset thing tonight, but would still like to know.

Thanks!

P.S. A slice of black tape is always an option, but I'd rather do it right :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
CommanderChaos and I swapped wheels and tires last weekend - he has a 2008 and I have a 2006 XK.

Since we did this, I've had an intermittent flashing yellow light (cross-section of a tire with an exclamation point) which I believe to be the TPMS warning. The pressure on all tires and the spare are fine.

Do I need to perhaps reset my XK's computer, or are these things just not compatible?

I know that someone out there knows... I'll try the reset thing tonight, but would still like to know.

Thanks!

P.S. A slice of black tape is always an option, but I'd rather do it right :)

Nope, they are not compatible. I had a thread about this somewhere. I learned the hard way, too. They changed the frequency at which the sensors transmit. :ugh2:

:eek:rangehat:

EDIT: Here is my original thread with part numbers listed: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7113

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
That's what I was afraid of...

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Threads merged

·
Registered
269 Posts
Oh good! It wasn't happening to just me!! Well Crunchy we can always trade back. Do you have 10 free hours this weekend?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys just need to go to a tire shop and either swap tires or swap sensors.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Oh good! It wasn't happening to just me!! Well Crunchy we can always trade back. Do you have 10 free hours this weekend?

LOL - the easiest way would be for us to meet at a tire store and have the tires swapped onto the original wheels. I called your friendly neighborhood Discount Tire (on Highland Rd) and they said it'd take about 30 minutes to swap the eight tires and re-balance them. On my dime, of course :)

What's your Saturday looking like? If we don't do it this Saturday, I won't be available until the Friday of the Jeep Skool thing. I've got that Friday off, will be in Daytona Beach at a conference starting Sunday, returning Thursday night.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts