Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Limited Hemi with Quadradrive II. I had new tires installed and TPMS sensors at Costco today. I drove more than 30 miles and the TPMS never reset. All tires read zero. Is there something else I need to do?

Thx

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes fixed.

After letting the Jeep sit in the driveway two of the sensors reset. After another week the other 2 started working. I did not have to take it to the dealer. No more error codes for TPMS either. Strange.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I believe for all Commanders, I know for a 2010 at least, the TPMS system does NOT need to have new tire sensors programmed to it. It will recognize and store the ID of new sensors by itself, but to avoid mistakes (like storing the ID of sensor from a car parked next to yours) it does it only after driving a few miles.

Keep in mind:

• There are many different sensors, they are NOT universal, only the specific sensor works with your Commander.
  • OEM dealer sensors will be the specific sensor your Commander needs.
  • The aftermarket has started selling semi-universal sensors that can be "programmed" to mimic the specific sensor needed by dozens of different vehicles. The programming is done with the aftermarket company's tools by the tire shop selling the aftermarket sensors. The dealer tool designed to interact with the TPMS system does NOT program another company's universal sensors.
  • The aftermarket will also sell these sensors pre-programmed for your specific vehicle, you'll probably have to order them off the internet, but you can avoid the charge of the tire shop using the aftermarket special tool to program the blank sensors to your vehicle.
  • The tire shop stocks lots of universal sensors, cause they can't afford to stock sensors for every single vehicle, and thus they can service just about any vehicle that comes in the door from a much smaller stock of sensors, by programming the individual sensor on the spot.
I had 1 tire sensor fail, I ordered 1 pre-programmed aftermarket sensor, after installation, I had the TPMS warning light, it took 1.3 miles of driving before the TPMS warning light went out and it stayed out.

I'm guessing, since the O.P. replaced all 4 sensors at the same time, that created ambiguity/confusion in the TPMS system and that might account for the extended period of driving and time before the TPMS system recognized and accepted all 4 new sensors as being part of the system.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
quickster2, were you driving in heavy traffic while waiting for the new sensors to be recognized? The system will pick up the sensors of other vehicles that are close by, I could see that contributing to the TPMS NOT getting a single ID for the certain amount of time without another ID, before accepting it as the ID for actual sensor.

In my case, 1 new sensor and my 1.3 mile drive I was the only vehicle on the road. Thus it was recognized and accepted rather quickly.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Tpms

I believe for all Commanders, I know for a 2010 at least, the TPMS system does NOT need to have new tire sensors programmed to it. It will recognize and store the ID of new sensors by itself, but to avoid mistakes (like storing the ID of sensor from a car parked next to yours) it does it only after driving a few miles.

Keep in mind:

• There are many different sensors, they are NOT universal, only the specific sensor works with your Commander.
  • OEM dealer sensors will be the specific sensor your Commander needs.
  • The aftermarket has started selling semi-universal sensors that can be "programmed" to mimic the specific sensor needed by dozens of different vehicles. The programming is done with the aftermarket company's tools by the tire shop selling the aftermarket sensors. The dealer tool designed to interact with the TPMS system does NOT program another company's universal sensors.
  • The aftermarket will also sell these sensors pre-programmed for your specific vehicle, you'll probably have to order them off the internet, but you can avoid the charge of the tire shop using the aftermarket special tool to program the blank sensors to your vehicle.
  • The tire shop stocks lots of universal sensors, cause they can't afford to stock sensors for every single vehicle, and thus they can service just about any vehicle that comes in the door from a much smaller stock of sensors, by programming the individual sensor on the spot.
I had 1 tire sensor fail, I ordered 1 pre-programmed aftermarket sensor, after installation, I had the TPMS warning light, it took 1.3 miles of driving before the TPMS warning light went out and it stayed out.

I'm guessing, since the O.P. replaced all 4 sensors at the same time, that created ambiguity/confusion in the TPMS system and that might account for the extended period of driving and time before the TPMS system recognized and accepted all 4 new sensors as being part of the system.
Mongo, I believe I read in the service manual that if you replace the spare tire sensor, you need to record the ID code to have that one programmed in. I just ordered the Denso 550-2501 TPMS Sensor to replace the 5 on my 2008.

https://www.densoproducts.com/Automotive-DensoProducts-l1351.aspx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts