Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make nice chrome or polished aluminum TPMS stems. Mine are looking shabby from the salt I guess. They wouldn't look too nice on new rims.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Does anyone make nice chrome or polished aluminum TPMS stems. Mine are looking shabby from the salt I guess. They wouldn't look too nice on new rims.
There may be a rebuild kit out there for TPMS sensor that has a chrome sleeve and a chrome cap. I don't see a part number for it just yet though. Whatever you do, don't just put any chrome cap on them. If you want chrome caps make sure they are actually plastic with a chrome coating. Metal ones will destroy your TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Whatever you do, don't just put any chrome cap on them. If you want chrome caps make sure they are actually plastic with a chrome coating. Metal ones will destroy your TPMS sensors.
I dont understand this, I bought my commander with the chrome caps and every time I get my tires rotated and balanced you guys are trying to put plastic caps on in there place. If the chrome caps are bad for the TPMS why would the manufacture install them that way? I have over 90k on my XK and have not had a sensor fail.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
It's probably like wearing aluminum foil on your head so the aliens can't read your mind. The metal blocks the signal.:rofl:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I dont understand this, I bought my commander with the chrome caps and every time I get my tires rotated and balanced you guys are trying to put plastic caps on in there place. If the chrome caps are bad for the TPMS why would the manufacture install them that way? I have over 90k on my XK and have not had a sensor fail.
Metal caps can corrode and adhere to the valve stem making it difficult to remove the cap without breaking the valve.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The Commanders originally came with silver (or grey) plastic valve stem caps.
This was done because a metal cap (ferrous) will corrode to the aluminum (non-ferrous) valve stem.
Ranger, your in Texas where it is reasonably dry.
Over here in the salt belt these stems corrode like mad if a metal cap is installed.
Sometimes, so tightly that a pliers must be used to remove the cap.
Often, the entire stem breaks off while trying to get the darn cap off.
So, when you just gotta have chrome caps, we use the chrome plated plastic type to prevent this occurence.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts