Jeep Commander Forum banner

Traction control engages

25K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  ironworker17cle 
#1 ·
Anyone had the problem of the traction control turning on when there is no reason? My 06/4.7 has recently started to do this, usually on the initial start-up and pulling away from the curb. Instant slow-down that lasts for 50 yards or so. Dry pavement. Once it does it, the traction control will not engage again until I shut the motor off. No codes showing.

Joe R.
SW Washington

#2 ·
The traction control warning lamp should blink on the dash if the traction control is actually activating to reduce power. You could have another problem that is causing this and mistaking the traction control as the problem, if the dash doesn't blink while the power is being reduced, I'd suspect its something other than traction control.

Try turning off the traction control before repeating this next time, if that solves the problem, good indicator its the traction control. If it doesn't likely its NOT the traction control, but its still possible. Turning off traction control with the button, only turns off some of the functions, NOT all. Check the owners manual, there is a way to turn off even more traction control functions by pressing and holding the 'off' button while in park with the engine idling.

Doing the key dance or hooking up an inexpensive code reader will only provide you the gov mandated OBDII codes, there are hundreds of other codes NOT mandated by OBDII that you need a Chrysler proprietary and expensive code reader to read those codes. (all the manufacturers do this, to force people back into the Dealerships for diagnostics and repair). In short, unless you had the Dealer or a Shop with a very expensive code reader check for codes, they may be there even though you can't see them. Usually, if you have a problem with the system, a warning light for ABS/BAS or Traction Control will light steady on the dash.

If you have oversized wheels and/or tires, that will mess up the math of the ABS/BAS/Stability Control/Traction Control and cause unexpected reactions. The electronic modules that control this can be programmed with the new tire diameter to correct the math and keep the ABS/BAS/Stability Control/Traction Control working correctly.

#3 ·
Please let us know if you figure out whether it's traction control or not. I have an '06 4.7 that has the same random power loss at start up, usually if I shift into gear before giving it a minute or two at idle. It feels almost like the transmission's slipping and I've never noticed any lights with it. I haven't considered a traction control issue before, but I'd be interested if it is. Maybe I could finally fix it.

#8 ·
The ABS/BAS/Stability Control/Traction Control has a "Roll Mitigation" feature.

If you take a turn to hard, it will activate brakes and change throttle (if drive by wire) to help prevent you from turning over.

I did have it activate brakes when I took a turn way too fast and was close to tipping, or at least lifting a wheel off the road, luckily I had the room to ease out the wheel and go wider in the turn, but I'm sure brakes coming on and some wheels chirping during this fool hardy maneuver was the "Roll Mitigation" feature activating in the stability control.

There are sensor in the vehicle for lateral acceleration and roll of the body.

Bigger wheels and lift kits, even if the diameter is programmed correctly, raises the vehicles CG and changes the suspension reaction, or exaggerate its reaction in the eyes of the sensors, to the lateral and roll forces, and Roll Mitigation might behind the Traction Control coming on in turns for you.

#10 ·
Well... The TC issues went away by themselves. The Service 4WD message still comes on and now the front differential seems to lock up when backing out of the driveway, and turning hard. Once going forward, it acts like an old school 4x4 in 4wd on pavement with the drivetrain winding up. Banging from front differential once or twice (at less than 5 mph) then releasing and it's fine thereafter. Kinda like the clutches are locked in the front axle. The axle's have been serviced w/75-140 synthetic and friction modifier and the trans/transfer case per oem recommendations. Don't know if it's the transfer case, trans, or front diff. Checking for codes. I've never seen the problems like the Commander has on other 4x4's I've owned. (91 Wrangler, 95 Wrangler, 99 Wrangler, 99 Cherokee, 00 Grand Cherokee, F150 and a F250 - most bought new) I put the reman 4.7 in and it has about 1900 miles on it. It runs fine and break in is about complete. I'll be switching to synthetic oil at about 3k miles. I really like the Commander, but from the(computer related) issues they have, I should have passed it up.

Joe

#12 ·
Well... The TC issues went away by themselves. The Service 4WD message still comes on and now the front differential seems to lock up when backing out of the driveway, and turning hard. Once going forward, it acts like an old school 4x4 in 4wd on pavement with the drivetrain winding up. Banging from front differential once or twice (at less than 5 mph) then releasing and it's fine thereafter. Kinda like the clutches are locked in the front axle. The axle's have been serviced w/75-140 synthetic and friction modifier and the trans/transfer case per oem recommendations. Don't know if it's the transfer case, trans, or front diff. Checking for codes. I've never seen the problems like the Commander has on other 4x4's I've owned. (91 Wrangler, 95 Wrangler, 99 Wrangler, 99 Cherokee, 00 Grand Cherokee, F150 and a F250 - most bought new) I put the reman 4.7 in and it has about 1900 miles on it. It runs fine and break in is about complete. I'll be switching to synthetic oil at about 3k miles. I really like the Commander, but from the(computer related) issues they have, I should have passed it up.

Joe
So I'm assuming you have the QDII 4WD system? That is the only one with locking differentials. If you have QTII, the differentials are open and have no clutches and the locking must be something else.

Yea, I'm suspecting something with the 4WD system and its electronic control, the FDCM possibly.

Probably your best option is too get the codes read. The key dance and inexpensive code readers just read OBDII codes, those are fed mandated emission codes, since just about any malfunction with the engine will effect emissions it includes just about all the engines codes.

The rest of the modules and software are NOT federally mandated, and thus don't have to meet the fed rules/laws. So all the manufacturers make these modules and software trouble codes near inaccessible by the owners, to force them back into the Dealerships to pay for diagnostics and repairs.

So, you very likely have trouble codes for the "Service 4WD" light, and the unexpected activation of traction control and differential locking. But, the key dance or inexpensive scanners can't read them. You need to go to the Dealer, a big independent shop that might have the expensive scanners that can read it -OR- buy a very expensive scanner yourself.

I think some of the more reasonable priced "Tuner" devices can read extended codes over just the OBDII, but NOT all of them.

On a related note: The whole N23 fiasco came from defective FDCM that were inadvertently shifting the xfr cases into neutral, and a few Commanders/Grand Cherokees rolled away after parking them. The N23 software update, would disable any shifting of the XFR case if the FDCM failed the self-test. And it had a bad self-test, disabling lots of perfectly good FDCM's.

Perhaps you're FDCM is failing and activating traction control and differential locking.

You can't rule out its all reacting to bogus information from a bad wheel speed sensor, etc.....

Reading the codes will help you narrow down the problem's cause.

#13 ·
If any help available. So I just got done finishing my Commander. I'm having a few elec issues and I don't know if it's because it's a new long block or the truck had them before. I'm not throwing a code for this but I noticed a pre mature engage of traction control at higher speeds. Thought it was ABS then i saw the traction light come on. I read there is a TSB on this and it needs a flash but before I take it to dealer i was wondering any suggestions ? I took a new long block and put it in an 06 commander. Lift,tires, complete suspension, complete front end cold air and that's where I've stopped bc I'm having the TC problem a P2096 light and passenger airbag intermittently going on and off. So any help would be appreciated. I've never had a full engine swap done and my mechanic is a good friend and on vacation so I'm not sure if I should have the flashes done or what...

#14 · (Edited)
If any help available. So I just got done finishing my Commander. I'm having a few elec issues and I don't know if it's because it's a new long block or the truck had them before. I'm not throwing a code for this but I noticed a pre mature engage of traction control at higher speeds. Thought it was ABS then i saw the traction light come on. I read there is a TSB on this and it needs a flash but before I take it to dealer i was wondering any suggestions ? I took a new long block and put it in an 06 commander. Lift,tires, complete suspension, complete front end cold air and that's where I've stopped bc I'm having the TC problem a P2096 light and passenger airbag intermittently going on and off. So any help would be appreciated. I've never had a full engine swap done and my mechanic is a good friend and on vacation so I'm not sure if I should have the flashes done or what...
Just to clarify something Chopp;

If you read your owner's manual - when the traction control light comes on, that actually means the traction control is being DISengaged - not engaging.

When the traction control is engaged, the traction control light is off.

I don't know if this helps you at all or not, but, I thought it was relevant.

Definitely sounds like an electrical problem somewhere to me - or maybe a bad or intermittent sensor.

#15 ·
I know the traction control button shuts it off if I messed up my wording, sorry. But I was told that because of the lift there is some sort of center of gravity censor and it's engaging thinking I'm rolling over because of the lift and sharp turns. Blue was this the sensor you were talking about? Btw never got your PM about my stock radio!!!

#16 · (Edited)
I know the traction control button shuts it off if I messed up my wording, sorry. But I was told that because of the lift there is some sort of center of gravity censor and it's engaging thinking I'm rolling over because of the lift and sharp turns. Blue was this the sensor you were talking about? Btw never got your PM about my stock radio!!!
Chopp,

This was the quote from your original post that I was talking about;

ChoppJeep said:
I noticed a pre mature engage of traction control at higher speeds. Thought it was ABS then i saw the traction light come on.
You said you saw the traction control light on - indicating a pre-mature engage of the traction control - at least that is how I read that - maybe you meant it differently than how I interpreted it.

I was just pointing out that the traction control light only comes on when the Traction control is OFF or dis-engaged - when your Traction Control is engaged - or on, your traction control light is off - which is the normal recommended mode of operation.

That's all I was trying to clarify - maybe you meant to say that you noticed it was pre-maturely DIS-engaging when you saw the traction control light come on, or maybe I just interpreted your statement wrong.

I never PM'ed you about your radio because I have been overseas since early November, I'm actually in Singapore until early April - plus I'm not 100% sure I can use it because I don't know of it has a display for my back-up camera. I like the 6 disc changer - but not at the expense of losing my back-up camera. If it does have a display for my back-up camera, and you still have it - along with the date-code (security PIN) for the radio, I'll get in touch with you about it when I get back state-side in April - if you still have it by then.

Sorry for the confusion Chopp.

#17 ·
Anyone had the problem of the traction control turning on when there is no reason? My 06/4.7 has recently started to do this, usually on the initial start-up and pulling away from the curb. Instant slow-down that lasts for 50 yards or so. Dry pavement. Once it does it, the traction control will not engage again until I shut the motor off. No codes showing.

Joe R.
SW Washington

Joe R.
SW Washington
I'm 6 years late here, but I'm replying in hopes of helping someone in the future who experiences this problem. I have an 06 commander v6 4x4 that recently started cutting cruise control off, flashing the traction control light, and losing power when I press the gas. This is happening on dry highway, traveling 70mph with good tires. I'm not losing traction. Also, the ESP BAS and ABS lights come on. I'm planning on replacing all 4 wheel sensors. For now, I turned traction control off by holding the traction control button for 5 seconds until it beeps and says ESP OFF on the info screen. I did this while the engine was running, and in park. Now when I drive my traction control light, ESP BAS and ABS lights stay on, but I am no longer experiencing loss of power. I will update after I replace my wheel sensors and drive with traction control back on. Stay safe everyone

Russell
Cleveland Ohio
2006 Jeep Commander v6 4x4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.