Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, still in Iraq (9 of 15), but with gas at $4 a gallon the wife and I are discussing trading in the Commander when I get back for something more economical. She wants a GAAAGG Prius. I just am uncomfortable with that. Not sold on the battery pack Hybrid thing. But I am considering a Honda FiT Sport. I know I know, its sick........... But reality is reality, and at my next PCS I may be commuting 40+ miles one way.

We are super active people, almost empty nesters (lord am I that old?) and while we LOVE the Commander, have yet to need the 4WD despite planning on beach camping trips, off road adventures, etc. We mountain bike and climb and hike, but never need the vehicle for it. The FiT with its hatch and flexible seating/cargo area and a roofrack for the bikes and Kayack (VS the tailgate rack for bikes on the Commander) will make it just as utility friendly.

I do have a motorcycle and plan to ride that, but if your in the miliatary today, the saftey weanies have made it so you have to wear so much saftey gear that it is a pain. Plus, weather, convenience, etc. I may try that for a while.

No decision as of yet, but I wonder if a couple of you would be up to taking a FiT for a test drive and posting your impressions, bashing included! Besides, nothing in the world is more fun than test driving cars you have no intention of buying........ LOL

I picked the FiT because of reviews and it reminds me of my 85 GTI. I'm looking at Black of Course, bigger rims, no fart can muffler thank you. I'll still have the 442, XS1100, and Triumph for when I want to feel like a man, but this it tempting.......... I'll take any suggestions from those of you who have them as for other Vehicle options.

So bash away, I can take it, and if you need me to send some greenbacks so you can buy a wig and sunglasses for the test drive PM me........... (yes, a joke)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Haven't driven the FiT, but have you thought about the Element? Especially the sport edition, which in black and those grey wheels looks... really frickin cool. I always hated the Element, but after riding in one, I actually kinda dig 'em. They're fuel friendly, and have a ton of seat position options, plus a rubber floor. What more could you ask for. Oh, and I believe you can get them in AWD... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If I get some time where I'm ridiculously bored, I'll go check out the FiT for ya and post up some pics/vids.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would also look at Subaru. You could get the outback sport model of the Impreza or the new Forester. You would get 22/28 mpg and still be able to hit the beach...etc.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Dude, buy my BMW coupe. It gets the same mileage as a Fit, looks better and is way more fun to drive, plus its cheaper and easier to maintain! :D

You're going to take a massive hit on the XK right now, so unless the truck's paid for, get ready for a massive trade-in shock. Take a look at the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix (twin cars). They're also an interesting four door wagon, and the Pontiac's cheaper with a better warranty, and get the same as a fit. They just revised the model for 2008 to make it better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
@rwmorrisonjr: Pics of your BMW? My wife wants one for her birthday...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rwmorrisonjr said:
Dude, buy my BMW coupe. It gets the same mileage as a Fit, looks better and is way more fun to drive, plus its cheaper and easier to maintain! :D

You're going to take a massive hit on the XK right now, so unless the truck's paid for, get ready for a massive trade-in shock. Take a look at the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix (twin cars). They're also an interesting four door wagon, and the Pontiac's cheaper with a better warranty, and get the same as a fit. They just revised the model for 2008 to make it better.
Commander is Free & clear, looking to trade in and buy New with warranty and NO payments (sub 17K). Am considering something used too, instead of taking a hit on depreciation. 34-35 MPG minimum is goal. We have a 2000 323i Wagon and Love it, but.....

Still havent decided, and we dont want to loose the long view of the Commander's purpose, multi purpose, 7 pax, all weather, tow anything, go anywhere, look good, safe, etc........... SO WHY am I considering selling?
The wife wants to replace her 323 in the next few years and wants an SUV, and I may be commuting 40+ miles one way every day. It's killing me, but am looking.

Not sure why I like the FiT, looked at the Vibe/Matriz/Element/Nissan/Toyota, etc. I really like the New Saturn Astra 3 door, but too much $$ and not enough fuel mileage.

We will see. Mostly a deployment distraction...............

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
If space is not an issue and you want 48 MPG consider the smart. You can get a new fully loaded for around $16,000.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

The drugs my wife gave me during my mid-tour leave wore off and there is NO way I am getting rid of the Commander. I am however buying a New Motorcycle that will get the desired 40-50 MPG, and ride it most days. I look back on those scary weeks I actually considered this and can only assume my wife used her wiley womanly ways..... Thankfully, the FiT (pun intended) has passed and I an unapologetic Commander owner once again. She can drive the Hybrid if she wants one so badly :eyemouth:

·
Registered
84 Posts
NO way I am getting rid of the Commander. I am however buying a New Motorcycle that will get the desired 40-50 MPG, and ride it most days.
Now your talking! Not that I'm biased about motorcycles or anything. Hint: Loot at my sig.!:cool:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now your talking! Not that I'm biased about motorcycles or anything. Hint: Loot at my sig.!:cool:
The K 12 is a nice bike, had an 02 and liked it, but I'm just not a BMW guy... Thought I would like it. Ended up with an FZ1 I liked much better, then decided to go back to Sport Touring and an FJR 1300. Unfortunately, that bike and I got pushed off the Cherahola Skyway in NC in 05, and I've been riding my old bikes since. Been bouncing back and forth across the pond in this war, but after this trip, looks like I will be home for 3-4 years, so time for a new Bike period. I ended up settling on the Sprint ST.

My other Bikes are: 1979 Yamah XS1100, 1976 Yamah XS650, 00 Triumph Speedmaster, and a couple old Nortons/Triumphs that are basket cases in a freinds garage (I hope :)).

So no more FiT, gonna keep the Commander, ride whenever I can and offset the fuel costs. Then when the Wife decides she wants to part with her BMW, we will see about the hybrid, high fuel efficient vehicle. I'm not a big Hybrid fan, would prefer the all gas FiT or all electric.

Talking about Gas mileage, whatever happened to the late 80's early 90's when some carburated 4cyls were getting 40-50mpg??? Is it just teh AMerican bigger heavier quieter and power demands that have cut down on fuel economy? It frustrates me to see so little advancement in this. My 85 GTI got 34mpg, my 90 Grand Prix got 30MPG, we should do better.

·
Registered
208 Posts
So no more FiT, gonna keep the Commander, ride whenever I can and offset the fuel costs. Then when the Wife decides she wants to part with her BMW, we will see about the hybrid, high fuel efficient vehicle. I'm not a big Hybrid fan, would prefer the all gas FiT or all electric.

Talking about Gas mileage, whatever happened to the late 80's early 90's when some carburated 4cyls were getting 40-50mpg??? Is it just teh AMerican bigger heavier quieter and power demands that have cut down on fuel economy? It frustrates me to see so little advancement in this. My 85 GTI got 34mpg, my 90 Grand Prix got 30MPG, we should do better.
If your wife likes beemers and wants an SUV, have you considered the X3? It gets 23/16 MPG. Little pricey tho...

Also, I think that some of the newer cars have safety features built in that we didn't worry about 20 years ago. In addition to power demands, these might make them heavier and, therefore, less fuel efficient. Funny how the gov't mandates these new features and then b*tches about fuel efficiency.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I'll never understand why so many people rationalize the purchase of a smaller vehicle (with better fuel economy) as a way to save money in times of high gas prices. This is especially true for people who are keeping their other less fuel efficient vehicle.

I like to do the math, and the "payoff" is usually so far off in the future (if at all) that it doesn't make any sense in the first place, especially considering that nobody really knows for sure what the future holds for gas prices.

What you add up the costs associated with the second vehicle, there's a good chance that you will not be saving anything at all, even over the long term.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
But you can get up in the morning and say to yourself: Self, what vehicle do I want to drive today. :)

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
That's true and there's nothing wrong with having a bunch of different vehicles. But if the only reason to do it is to ultimately save money, then it usually doesn't make sense.

I also have other vehicles, but mostly for "fun" or to drive on the weekends only. Unfortunately for me, I don't own anything that can really be considered fuel efficient

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I also have other vehicles, but mostly for "fun" or to drive on the weekends only. Unfortunately for me, I don't own anything that can really be considered fuel efficient
My Commander will now move into the mostly for "fun" catagory and the smart will become the daily driver. I am glad the XK is paid off as who needs two car payments, and you are 100 % correct in saying that the fuel saving would be offset by the additonal car payment and insurance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The drugs my wife gave me during my mid-tour leave wore off and there is NO way I am getting rid of the Commander. I am however buying a New Motorcycle that will get the desired 40-50 MPG, and ride it most days. I look back on those scary weeks I actually considered this and can only assume my wife used her wiley womanly ways..... Thankfully, the FiT (pun intended) has passed and I an unapologetic Commander owner once again. She can drive the Hybrid if she wants one so badly :eyemouth:
Get a Honda Goldwing that is what I ride!:thumbsup: 40-44 MPG! Lots of power with the flat six and very comfy to ride (rides like a big sport bike)Your wife will love the back seat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
About the comments earlier with the element, they are great vehicles. That is what we had before the Commander. Plenty of room and great for kids (no 3rd row though...) but unfortunatly the towing capacity blows! We love our commander, and unfortunatly for me the wife gets to have it as the daily driver as her commute is much shorter. Back in 07 when the gas started to go up, I traded my 00 Z71 Tahoe in on a VW Jetta TDI. Man that thing rocks, the difference in the payment was made up by gas savings monthly and its new and under warranty. For anyone considering a hybrid I would really look at the TDI, the diesel will last much longer than a hybrid and their reliability is proven! And without babying my TDI I get around 38 in town and about 42-44 on the highway. If you watch your speed on the highway you can get closer to 48 or so!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts