Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know 4x4 commanders all have the trail rated emblem on the drivers side fender. I've read that this was a Mopar thing to have a single badge. Well I felt my commander was incomplete so I purchased 2 more badges. 1 for the passenger side fender and 1 for the hatch door. The casual bystander probably would not notice this but for me it was a definite improvement.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
As you know 4x4 commanders all have the trail rated emblem on the drivers side fender. I've read that this was a Mopar thing to have a single badge. Well I felt my commander was incomplete so I purchased 2 more badges. 1 for the passenger side fender and 1 for the hatch door. The casual bystander probably would not notice this but for me it was a definite improvement.

Actually, that's not completely true and a common misconception some people have.

In the world of Commanders (and Grand Cherokees) you have to have Quadra-Trac II or Quadra-Drive II WITH 3.73 Gearing.

You can have Quadra-Trac I or Quadra-Trac II without 3.73 gears and it will still have the 4x4 badge in the rear but it will not be Trail-Rated by Jeep and will not come with any Trail-rated badging from the factory.

Jeeps that are Trail-Rated typically come from the factory with the trail-rated badge on the driver's side front fender (as you said) unless it's special-ordered from the factory with additional badging - or no badging or unless an owner adds it after the fact like we did - which is why it's good to know what quantifies a Commander as Trail-Rated if you are looking to buy one.

I can tell by looking at yours you bought the knock-off Trail-rated badges off of E-Bay or amazon - I can tell by the flat/shiny appearance.

I did the same thing once upon a time and ordered one off of amazon for the passenger's side front fender I think it was like $8.00 but it had that flatness and extra shine to it and it was made of such a flimsy thin kind of tin, it quickly wore on me and as soon as I got a little extra cash, I ordered an authentic trail-rated badge from Jeep for $52.00 and got rid of the amazon knock-off.

Even though the average person probably wouldn't notice, I did and the devil is in the details as I like to say.

I see you added one to the rear-hatch too....that's right where my Flex-Fuel badge is....pretty cool though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the clarification, yeah these are the knock offs.. I'll see how long I can deal with the difference compared to the factory emblem. Probably won't be long though lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, yeah these are the knock offs.. I'll see how long I can deal with the difference compared to the factory emblem. Probably won't be long though lol.
Trust me my friend, I know the feeling.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Yep, you can get them off of e-bay & amazon in several different background colors - I believe Blue, Gray, Black & Red - but they are cheap for a reason.

They are made of a very thin, flat, flimsy, shiny tin.

When you get them, you'll have no trouble telling that they are not from the factory.

However, if you are just getting them for the sake of being color coordinated, it is a nice, cheap option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep, you can get them off of e-bay & amazon in several different background colors - I believe Blue, Gray, Black & Red - but they are cheap for a reason.

They are made of a very thin, flat, flimsy, shiny tin.

When you get them, you'll have no trouble telling that they are not from the factory.

However, if you are just getting them for the sake of being color coordinated, it is a nice, cheap option.
Saw all the cheap ones and passed, that's why I went with OEM emblems from a Mopar/Jeep Dealership...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I broke down and purchased a oem badge for my commander. I got it from Amazon for 25.00. I left the other fake badge on the rear deck lid. I figured it should be ok back there

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
I broke down and purchased a oem badge for my commander. I got it from Amazon for 25.00. I left the other fake badge on the rear deck lid. I figured it should be ok back there

Looks 100% better my friend.

Well done.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It may be special for the events, but at a Jeep Jamboree event I saw people getting Trail Rated badges with a number on them in relation to the rating of a trail.

Anyone know of this as a Jeep sponsored thing? That would be super cool to hit up a Jeep event and rock down/up a trail with wranglers and cherokees and get a trail badge that represents what it could handle.

Just cuz I am classy in my Commander does not mean I cannot play on the rocks with the rest of the kids.

Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
There's an app called "Jeep badge of honor" that you can download and sign up and it gps tracks you on certain trails to verify you completed them. I'm not sure exactly how it works with obtaining the badges but the app is free, so it couldn't hurt to download.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
There's an app called "Jeep badge of honor" that you can download and sign up and it gps tracks you on certain trails to verify you completed them. I'm not sure exactly how it works with obtaining the badges but the app is free, so it couldn't hurt to download.

That sounds interesting.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Cool! i will try when I get home

Dave

·
Registered
309 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts