Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 Limited. It says 4X4 on the back and has the low gear lever in the consol. Why are there no "Trail Rated" badges on the sides? I recently had a 2010 Sport that was all wheel drive and it did not have them either. I thought for sure this one would since it has the 4 Low lever.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Is Quadra Drive II marked on the center console? What engine is in it? My 06 4.7 limited with QDII transmission is trail rated, I would assume that the QTII is also trail rated. By the way I saw a set of badges on Amazom for under 12 bucks which you can stick on, who would know the difference? After having some front drive train work done at a dealer, I don't think they would.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've got the same setup, with the Hemi. The low gear lever means you do have the Quadra Drive II setup, so you should be trail rated. I've only got the badge on my drivers side fender.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
I've got the same setup, with the Hemi. The low gear lever means you do have the Quadra Drive II setup, so you should be trail rated. I've only got the badge on my drivers side fender.
The 4 low lever is on both the Quadra Trac and Quadra Drive systems. The Quadra Drive has a label saying "Quadra Drive" by the T handle.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
People have been known to remove them, feeling that Jeep tweaks the the rating to suite the model(one standard for the xk,another for the wrangler,another for the Liberty and so on) so they do not mean much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to dealer today, I gave them my VIN and they printed me up a sheet that lists everything in my Commander. It's very interesting.
It says I have "Quadra-Trac II Full Time, Active 4WD"
That being mentioned, It also lists Code:5RT Boston Snow Plow Tracking Anybody have any idea what that might be?

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
I went to dealer today, I gave them my VIN and they printed me up a sheet that lists everything in my Commander. It's very interesting.
That being mentioned, It also lists Code:5RT Boston Snow Plow Tracking Anybody have any idea what that might be?
Aside from an 8 cylinder engine and Quadra-Trac II or Quadra Drive II, I believe you need at least 3.73 gears in the rear for your Commander to be considered trail rated.

I have no idea about the code you mentioned, sorry.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Looks like you're not the only one confused by this code. I did a quick google search and found this, but sor far no good answers.

Before I left the dealer a few weeks ago with my new R/T Classic, I had them print out the options report showing exactly all the standard & optional components on my car, and their cooresponding option codes. There are 2 pages worth of codes and all make sense with whats included with the car except for 2 very odd codes. I was wondering if anyone might know what these are for.

Option code 7CDS Milwaukee Electric Tool.
Now unless I missed the cordless drill or circular saw somewhere in the trunk I don't think this has anything to do with an electric tool. Then I thought maybe a flat tire inflator, but my car has the spare tire.

Option code 5RTS Boston Snow Plow Tracking.
This one has got me really stumped. The car is in NY and was built for NY spec. but I don't think Meyer is makin' an 8ft plow blade for Challengers. And what does Boston have to do with it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Commander only has the TR badge on the left fender.

Does your Challenger maybe have the Saws that come out of the front like the Mach 5? Oh wait, maybe I have that confused with the Stihl Option Pack!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The 4 low lever is on both the Quadra Trac and Quadra Drive systems. The Quadra Drive has a label saying "Quadra Drive" by the T handle.
People have been known to remove them, feeling that Jeep tweaks the the rating to suite the model(one standard for the xk,another for the wrangler,another for the Liberty and so on) so they do not mean much.
^These^
Commanders have 3 4WD systems. Quadra-Track I, Quadra-Track II and Quadra-Drive II. Yes, they generally came with certain engine options, but NOT all, so don't assume because you have a certain engine, you have a certain drivesystem.

QTI does NOT have 4LOW and thus there will NOT be any "T" lever on the center console.

QTII does have 4LOW and thus there will be a "T" lever on the center console to shift into 4LOW.

QDII does have 4LOW and ELSD's and thus there will be a "T" lever on the center console to shift into 4LOW and a placard near the "T" lever saying Quadr-Drive II. The Differential Carriers will be wider to fit the ELSD's as well, and you can tell by counting the bolts on the covers, with the QDII having 2 extra bolts, for a total of 12 bolts in the rear, I forget how many in the front. If you have 10 bolts on the rear diff cover, then its QTII or QTI.

The Trail Rating from Jeep comes from a software program used by the military for developing off road vehicles, plus a few other equipment requirements Jeep adds. In the past, by that software, all Jeeps had to meet the same requirement to get the "Trail Rated" Badge. In the last few years, Jeep discovered there is a scaling slider that scales the off-road ability assessment and thus they now scale the "Trail Rating" by model, meaning its different per model, which just supports the criticism many Jeep models are NOT what they used to be.

Like several posts stated, only certain configurations of the Commander got the "Trail Rating" you may have the Hemi and 4LOW, but you don't have the 3.73 axle ratios or the QDII and thus don't have the Trail Rating.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
They only put on one badge. You can purchase badges from Amazon if you want two.
True on both counts.

Commanders come from the factory with only one Trail-Rated badge on the Driver's side front fender.

The only exception to this would be:

1) Somebody added one themselves on the passenger's side after they bought the vehicle.

2) If the original buyer specifically asked to have Trail-Rated badges placed on both sides when they ordered the vehicle.

TR Badges on Amazon:

The TR badges they sell on Amazon are cheap knock-offs made of a much thinner metal - more like tin actually - and they come with different colored backgrounds.

Any seasoned Jeep owner can tell the difference as soon as you look at it. They are flat & thin and don't have the tell-tale dome shape of an authentic Jeep TR badge. The finish on them is also a little shinier.

I know because I ordered one off of amazon for the passengers side front fender.

They run from $8 - $12 bucks on Amazon, but, I wouldn't recommend them unless you are short on cash - or just plain cheap.

It was alright, but I grew tired of that thin/flat cheap look.

When I had a little extra cash - and actually remembered to do it, I ordered the OEM TR badge from the Jeep dealership - $52.00 for an authentic Trail-rated badge but well worth it IMO.

The average person probably wouldn't notice the difference - but I definitely do.

The devil is in the details as they say.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts