Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with advise installing a trailer brake controller? Biggest problem is the brake switch and seven pin wire connections. I don't have any diagrams and actually haven't even looked under the dash yet.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Re: Brake controller install?

I bought the Tekonsha Prodigy, great unit for my 03 Liberty. There was a blue brake wire from the 7 pin socket located in the drivers side kick panel. The wire color may be different. I ran a 14 gauge hot (fused) and ground from the battery. The cool thing about the Prodigy is it is removeable from the base. I'm going to buy another base and install it in the XK. Since the newer Jeeps are similar as far as wiring, the location of the brake wire may be the same also. Good luck,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brake controller install help!

Just picked up a new '06 Commander Limited with the Trailer package. I need to install a brake controller in it but I cannot find any instructions on the internet for where to look for the brake wire coming from the 7pin plug. Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! - Frank

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Brake controller install help!

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy. Have had it for three years. Totally awesome...used it on my GMC Envoy XL to pull an 18' Haulmark trailer. Braking was never a problem with the GMC...pulling was. I'm hoping the Commander with the Hemi does a better job...we will see!!

·
Registered
274 Posts

I think the Sentinal is a model below the Prodigy, check out the site. The Sentinal is a very good controller too. The Prodigy does it all. It increase' or decreases' the braking depending on how hard you brake. Pretty cool. You can also increase or decrease the amount of braking.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

Mango~Ridge said:
I think the Sentinal is a model below the Prodigy, check out the site. The Sentinal is a very good controller too. The Prodigy does it all. It increase' or decreases' the braking depending on how hard you brake. Pretty cool. You can also increase or decrease the amount of braking.
I only wish they looked a little nicer so that they looked like they were OEM.

·
Registered
204 Posts

fgarofalo said:
Just picked up a new '06 Commander Limited with the Trailer package. I need to install a brake controller in it but I cannot find any instructions on the internet for where to look for the brake wire coming from the 7pin plug. Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! - Frank

Taped up under the dash or behind the kick panel. Depends on if it was a factory or dealer installed, either a green or a blue wire. Should be easy enough to find it, remove two screws holding the cover under the bottom of the dash and you can pull the kick panel out.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Proportional Trailer Brake Controller

I am looking for the best trailer brake controller for my Commander. I would like to something that not only performs great but also looks decent. I don't want to spoil the looks of my XKs beautiful interior with something ugly. So many I have found look like an early 1990s radar detector.

·
Administrator
16,153 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: Proportional Trailer Brake Controller

you may want to consider mounting it under the drivers seat or in the armrest. Either place is still accessible if you need to tweak it and it will be hidden.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

kfbagt said:
you may want to consider mounting it under the drivers seat or in the armrest. Either place is still accessible if you need to tweak it and it will be hidden.
Never thought of that. How hard are these to wire up?

·
Registered
21 Posts

I mounted my 5 year old controller way down on the dash in my 05 GC. It is screwed to the little plastic door that is the fuse access. I'm planning on moving it over to the Commander this weekend. There is a little access door way down the dash by the hood release. I hope to mount it to that.
I'll check out the wiring and let you know.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts