Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they make it, I'm looking for a trailer hitch cover. Not like a cap or plastic receiver cover. I mean like a hole hitch cover, it covers the entire hitch assembly. Much like the Tahoe, how a color match cover just pops off to use the hitch. Anyone know of such a thing.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
ive been looking around for one of these. my old aviator had one and looked very clean not showing the hitch. let me know if you find anything.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Are you talking about something like a step? Do you have a photo of one on a Tahoe?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oh I got ya. It's plastic, painted to match, and makes it look like it's part of the bumper. I've seen them on other SUVs just never seen one for the Commander. Would be interesting to see what we can find.

·
2,248 Posts
It sounds easy to make. Get one of the novelty covers and either just spray paint it to match or if you need to cover any logo or emblem with body putty and then sand it flat and spray paint.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you talking about a cover that clips into the bumper cover itself ? Some vehicles have these, you just pop it off to reveal the hitch. The XK bumper is not made to accept a cover like this. The other " cover " we may be thinking of would be one that goes into the hitch , like a reciever, that has the Jeep logo or whatever on it.

like this ?
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/cPath/6683_3242/products_id/34971
Yes, I'm talking about something like that. I have worked with fiberglass all my life, I'm thinking about buying a cheap hitch and glassing around the entire thing. I talked to the guys at my local bump shop and they said they will spray it for $80, or I could just spray it my self. Idk, I need to take some time and really look at it. If it turns out good enough, Ill make a mold of it just in case it brakes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Are you talking about a cover that clips into the bumper cover itself ? Some vehicles have these, you just pop it off to reveal the hitch. The XK bumper is not made to accept a cover like this. The other " cover " we may be thinking of would be one that goes into the hitch , like a reciever, that has the Jeep logo or whatever on it.

like this ?
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/cPath/6683_3242/products_id/34971

Yes, I'm talking about something like that. I have worked with fiberglass all my life, I'm thinking about buying a cheap hitch and glassing around the entire thing. I talked to the guys at my local bump shop and they said they will spray it for $80, or I could just spray it my self. Idk, I need to take some time and really look at it. If it turns out good enough, Ill make a mold of it just in case it brakes.
You mean the other link right? That link is a normal hitch cover and the 2nd one is the one made from fiberglass.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I posed the correct link. The second one is just a cover that is painted carbon fiber. The tahoe ones are made out of plastic, but I will make mine out of fiberglass.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
That would be cool. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts