Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install an OEM hitch on my 08 Commander. My question is this: do i need a special tool to re-secure the bumper using the plastic rivets provided? The ones in the wheel well area.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
All of the rivets of my rear bumper were the reuseable rivets. Just pop them in by hand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I found a rivet gun at Harbor Freight that will work…Can anyone give me advise as to the towing capacity? The manual notes 3500lbs and 6500lbs with class IV tow package. How can I tell? I found the rear axle ratio is standard 3.73. I find it hard to believe that this vehicle can only tow 3500lbs!

·
Registered
717 Posts
What size engine do you have?? I believe that since you have the 3.73 rear end you have either the 4.7 or the 5.7 engine

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
From Jeep's site regarding the 2009 Model:

The Trailer Tow Group includes a Class II receiver hitch, trailer tow wiring harness and Trailer Sway Control (TSC).The Trailer Tow Group Class IV includes a Class IV receiver hitch, 7- and 4-pin wiring harness, heavy-duty cooling and Trailer Sway Control (TSC).

The Class II would have a max of 3500. The Class IV would have the higher max. But note that the Trailer Tow Group IV includes heavy-duty cooling, which is important when towing heavy loads. I don't know if you have the HD cooling or not. I think you can ignore the TSC, I believe it was new in the 09 Models.

Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts