Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a trailer hitch for my Jeep. I'm seeing a few different ones out there tho. I want one that will sit just under the bumper. Not hang too low and I don't want to cut that spot on my bumper. What one should I get?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I need a trailer hitch for my Jeep. I'm seeing a few different ones out there tho. I want one that will sit just under the bumper. Not hang too low and I don't want to cut that spot on my bumper. What one should I get?
Got mine at uhaul, sits right under the bumper.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Like @Legofan said, go to U-Haul - that's where I got mine as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
ricks said:
I'm seeing a few different ones out there tho. I want one that will sit just under the bumper. Not hang too low and I don't want to cut that spot on my bumper. What one should I get?
I want one that almost touches the bumper cover. Like the photo below...
I have a Reese hitch - which is the most reputable, proven hitch on the market.

The one in your screenshot is probably some other cheap off-brand.

Initially - you asked for our opinion as to what hitch you should get.

If you already had your mind made up about the type of hitch you wanted - then you probably shouldn't have asked for opinions.

Most of the trailer hitches I've seen on Commanders are not mounted that tight to the bumper cover - and for good reason.

If you have plans for a lift anytime in the future, the increase in the rear bumper height from the lift will put a lot of extra tongue weight on your hitch if it's mounted tight on the bumper cover - like the one your showing.

That's not good for your suspension, your hitch - or your trailer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you're splitting hairs but, I suppose it's possible to mount it a touch higher.

That's your opinion... I don't think I'm spitting hairs either. There is no way to adjust these. I see most of them with about 3 inches of air between the bumper and the hitch. I just want the one that sits higher like the one I posted. See this pic, sitting very low.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a Reese hitch - which is the most reputable, proven hitch on the market.

The one in your screenshot is probably some other cheap off-brand.

Initially - you asked for our opinion as to what hitch you should get.

If you already had your mind made up about the type of hitch you wanted - then you probably shouldn't have asked for opinions.

Most of the trailer hitches I've seen on Commanders are not mounted that tight to the bumper cover - and for good reason.

If you have plans for a lift anytime in the future, the increase in the rear bumper height from the lift will put a lot of extra tongue weight on your hitch if it's mounted tight on the bumper cover - like the one your showing.

That's not good for your suspension, your hitch - or your trailer.
In my original post I mentioned about the height... It's very important to me. I find the others sit too low and might get damaged or get in the way with some off-road trips. I have an adjustable ball mount that I've been using for years for the few times I trailer something. I don't pull any heavy weight also.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, we all have opinions.

I think any hitch installer local to you could get you set up with the right hitch and mounted how you prefer.

It would take some modifying that could weaken the structure of the hitch or the cross member where it mounts to. Or it would cost way too much. There is at least one hitch out there that fits like the pic I posted. Let's not get too touchy about this. I just have a preference of where and how I want my hitch positioned.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
In my original post I mentioned about the height... It's very important to me. I find the others sit too low and might get damaged or get in the way with some off-road trips. I have an adjustable ball mount that I've been using for years for the few times I trailer something. I don't pull any heavy weight also.
Your rock rails and/or your rear differential would bottom out long before a reese trailer hitch would come anywhere close to bottoming out while off-roading.

You say the hitch might get in the way with some off-road trips - get in the way of what exactly?

I really don't see your concerns.

This sounds more to me like, it's just your personal preference.

So, if it's just simply a matter of "that's what you like" - then have at it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like you've got it figured out from here.

Good luck.

I don't have it figure out yet... The pic I posted shows a higher mount than most but not a brand or model #. I was only hoping that a member in here would know what one it was.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Why not just go with an OEM hitch in the recessed/cutout area of the bumper. It will be mounted about 3 to 4 inches above an aftermarket hitch and will look stock. Very easy to bolt on too.

Bob

1 - 20 of 33 Posts