Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few questions....

I installed the harness, haven't went to dealership yet for programming.

I put the plug from my trailer and the running lights come on but no turn signals or brake lights. Is this the part that the programing turns on?

Thanks, just want to make sure I need to get it turned on cause the dealer wants $50.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I didn't have to have any programming done at the stealership.The place that I bought my trailer did the wiring for me. The one thing I found out is there is no wiring harness to plug into for electric brakes. They had to run a new wire from the back to the brake controller.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the factory harness and installed it. I had to install the relays but the fuse was already installed and I thought that was kinda odd. The lights come on just no turn or brake lights on the trailer. I'll take it in, I'm sure it needs turned on in the computer.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I think you are correct, I do believe the dealer has to tell the computer that the harness is there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So, even if I have the tow package. I still have to buy a wiring harness for my boat trailer in order for the brake & turn lights to work? And then get it programmed by the dealer?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
So, even if I have the tow package. I still have to buy a wiring harness for my boat trailer in order for the brake & turn lights to work? And then get it programmed by the dealer?
I don't think so. I think the tow package includes the wiring. Do you have a seven-way plug in the rear near the trailer tow receiver?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't think so. I think the tow package includes the wiring. Do you have a seven-way plug in the rear near the trailer tow receiver?
Come to think of it, I haven't even checked yet. All that is visible the to eye is the circle connector which I think is the elec. brakes right? I'll check and see...Would it be on the hitch receiver or under?

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Come to think of it, I haven't even checked yet. All that is visible the to eye is the circle connector which I think is the elec. brakes right? I'll check and see...Would it be on the hitch receiver or under?
The "circle connector" is for the trailer lights. The tow package comes with two types of connectors for the lights--the 7-pin round connector and the four pin flat connector. As robby said the four pin connector is hidden up behind the bumper. You also should have a seven pin to four pin adapter that comes with the tow package.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The "circle connector" is for the trailer lights. The tow package comes with two types of connectors for the lights--the 7-pin round connector and the four pin flat connector. As robby said the four pin connector is hidden up behind the bumper. You also should have a seven pin to four pin adapter that comes with the tow package.
Well they went cheap on me in 07.
The 06 gang got the adaptor with the package.
The 07 and newer gang (me) get to buy our own----dernit!

Rob

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Well they went cheap on me in 07.
The 06 gang got the adaptor with the package.
The 07 and newer gang (me) get to buy our own----dernit!

Rob
Now you got me thinking. I 'm not sure if mine came with the adapter or I'm using the one that came with my 2000 Grand Cherokee (which I still have). I will have to check to see if I have two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't have the package so I had to buy the harness, hitch and bezel. Then pay $45 for them to program it so the turn and brake lights would ok. If I didn't get such a good deal on the jeep used....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good to know...Although, I don't think I got the adapter since I bought the car used and it wasn't brought to my attention. Thank you very much!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts