Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trailer wiring

hi all i bought a 2007 commander without a hitch or wiring to pull a trailer. i got a factory hitch from eBay but had to go to the stealer for the harness i got the 7 prong one put it on per the instructions and went back to the stealer to have the computer flashed...fast forward 2 months later went to get the trailer out of storage plugged in the adaptor from the 7 prong to the flat 4 of the trailer and nothing took back to stealer they charged 50.00 to tell me that they would have to take the harness off to tell me what is wrong. i am rather mechanically inclined and this was a plug and play set up unplug tail light plug in harness...run wires to the battery poss and neg left the break wire taped up under dash for future use. i have power at the 7 prong and i have tail lights but no turn or break lights any ideas thanks ed

·
Registered
43 Posts
which motor do you have? I ran into the exact same problem with my V6 and there are two seperate harnesses.... one for the 8's and a much more complicated one for the 6's. check out this link down towards the bottom. since then i have installed the other harness, and all works fine.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
If the wrong harness was installed then the dealer will need to swap it at no cost, locate your invoice and let us know what part number you had installed.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
forsale69 said:
got a copy of the receipt and the part number is 82209766 thanks
According to Hank you need this one if you have the V-6:
For the 7 pin harness i need for my V-6 the mopar part number is 82211150AB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have the 4.7 v8 i talked to the steeler parts manager today and as calmly as i could explained the problem again and he has agreed that there might be a problem with the harness so they are supposed to have a new one in the morning for me to swap out and see if that is the problem i will keep you posted thanks ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i got the new harness and put it on and same thing i will call the dealer on monday they are closed over the weekend and they can figure it out

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
forsale69 said:
well i got the new harness and put it on and same thing i will call the dealer on monday they are closed over the weekend and they can figure it out
That has to be frustrating, keep us posted as to the solution.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i personally think that they did not flash the computer right cause it just does not seem right. it either them or something wrong with the car. i will keep you all posted and thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i just got home from the dealer come to find out they gave me the wrong harness not once but twice they said that there was a printing error in the parts book the original part # was 82209766 the # that they put on at no charge was 82211150ab they said that it was more involved of an installation process but hey it works and they ate the labor .i hope this will help anyone else that comes across this problem thanks again for all the help ed

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Glad it worked out, another problem solved by the helpful members of the forum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Forsale69....Did you have to cut your bumper too? I'm planning on installing the OEM stock hitch, but I'll have to cut my bumper and install the bezel for it too. Just wondering if you did.....How'd you do it?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Hey Forsale69....Did you have to cut your bumper too? I'm planning on installing the OEM stock hitch, but I'll have to cut my bumper and install the bezel for it too. Just wondering if you did.....How'd you do it?

Thanks.
If he got the factory hitch, which is what he said he got, then yes he had to cut the bumper. No way to do it without cutting the bumper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum. The dealer also sent the wrong harness to me, I read this link and called them back, they will have the correct one tomorrow. Thanks for the tip Forsale69!!

About how long does it take for the complete install, wiring harness, hitch and bezel? I have a lift available for me to use for about 2 hours or so...

Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
188 Posts
Help: Trailer Tow Hookup - No Power

I bought a used Commander w/o a trailer hitch and had the dealer install a hitch and plug for the trailer hookup.

I have no power at all at the hookup. The fuses are all OK.

Does anyone know if there is a plug somewhere that needs to be connected in the case when a vehicle is not originally equipped w/a tow package?

Any other ideas? I don't want to deal w/the dealer.

·
2,248 Posts
I think that the dealer needs to enable the harness with the Starscan.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Are you kidding me? I can't believe it has to be enabled.

Thanks for the quick responses and I'll take it back (again).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts