Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the dealer install my trailer light harness and all that stuff.Well,friday,i noticed my parking lights on my trailer wasnt working.checked everything out,and the trailer is fine.
so,i break out my light tester,and start testing the plug in the receiver.all of them are working,but the parking lights.
so,yesterday,i take it int he dealership to have them look at it.come to find out,a fuse blew.now what gets me is,the light harness is wired into the battery and they put an inline 20 amp fuse..is this standard?
i`ve never seen anything like it before.
heres a pic.
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/527/picture1hg0.jpg
another odd thing,when that fuse went,why didnt the rest of the lights in the harness go?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Not sure on your second question, but if you are wiring directly off the power source you should have a fuse on it. Of course I would still slap them for doing such a sloppy job and not looming the wires.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
That's funny. My factory installed wiring had the 20amp fuse for the parking/running lights blown the first time I went to use it. Popped a new fuse in, all's been well since.

Oh, and the rest didn't go because that fuse is only running the parking lights.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My fuse is a 10AMP for running lights and it's on the fuse block with everything else. They could've taken the extra time to put it in the block where it should go. I occasionally blow the running light fuse and have to replace it. I just keep a few spares on hand. I thought about going to a 20 but I'm a bit leery of going higher than what was originally installed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YB Normyl said:
Is there a kit from Mopar for trailer wiring? The job doesn't look very professional, and why go right to the battery when you can get a battery elsewhere.
sure is.i had the dealership install it all.
i just find it odd how it`s all wired in like that.
but,so far so good.i took the boat out last night to do some trout fishing.and the parking/running lights worked fine.
but,i did toss an extra few 20amps in the glove box just in case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fohn_Jargo said:
I used the wiring kit that came with my trailer hitch. It plugged inline with the lights in the back and I just had to drill a hole for the grounding wire.
I just picked up my Commander last week - love it. I still need to get the hitch and tow wiring installed but had a question, does the wiring need to be activated through the onboard computer? I had read somewhere that it does.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
salamander said:
I just picked up my Commander last week - love it. I still need to get the hitch and tow wiring installed but had a question, does the wiring need to be activated through the onboard computer? I had read somewhere that it does.
Not with the harness I got. I think if they go into the power supply then yes.

Also, I was told by the dealer they are not allowed to install the harness I purchased. I think they are required to go to the power supply.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
salamander said:
Welcome to the site! I believe if it was to be wired the same way it is at the factory, with the switch in the dash and all, it should be activated with a StarScan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok, thanks and thanks for the kind wlecome. so if i install the wiring myself do you think the dealer's shop will activate via starscan? any idea what they usually charge for that?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I just installed the DVD player, One dealer told me $50 to activate and another wants $90.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts