Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I will be home from the Middle East over Christmas, I am heading to Denver for a few days and was wondering if anybody was aware of any scenic trails nearby? I know there is alot up and down the I-70 Corridor but I was looking for something more scenic then adventerous. I'll have the girfriend with me, she's not pushing if I get stuck but I will have my new bumper and winch by then :)

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Iowa, check out traildamage.com, they have loads of trail listings for the entire state. Just remember that some of them might be closed by snow, especially the ones above treeline.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on RW, thanks! Maybe we'll have to link up for some pics while I am there. I used to work in Castle Rock at the USWEST (Qwest) office there on the corner in the oldtown.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
IC - once you hit Denver, drive west - you can't miss them. But on a more serious note, I hit a trail that goes up Sante Fe Peak just out of Montezuma (up near the top of I-70) and the views were spectacular - if you want a little thrill with your view, this is a good place to go. Down in Colorado Springs, you can hit Gold Camp and Rampart Range road and find some offshoots that range from easy to "pucker-factor 10." I'd put you in touch with some friends I have in the area, but they are all currently vacationing in Baghdad.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Iowa, check out traildamage.com, they have loads of trail listings for the entire state. Just remember that some of them might be closed by snow, especially the ones above treeline.
Closed because of snow? Are you kidding? It's a Commander!

Iowa's Commander

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I'm sure IC can drum up a ground rod and hammer it in if he needs it.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
is that where the grand camp out will be next year??? with fuel approaching 2.5 a gallon, may be feasible....if it doesnt go up again ( to $4.00)

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Closed because of snow? Are you kidding? It's a Commander!

]
I'm not sure if you've spent much time driving offroad in snow, but I can tell you from firsthand experience that it is fairly easy to get stuck in snow with just about any 4wd vehicle. Anything under 18" shouldn't be much of a problem, but once you go over that amount, one wrong move can leave you stuck pretty good...

Of course the amount of snow will vary from vehicle to vehicle, but 18" is my own "driver beware" point in my 4Runner or Commander. Of course I haven't had a chance to drive the Commander in snow yet, but when it belonged to my cousin, he had it out in the same deep snow as my 4Runner.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well you never know but I'll try anything once and probably even twice. Vacationing in Baghdad? Well thats right where I am sitting. Small world huh?

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
if you are in powder you are fine.

i got stuck in a snow drift, and packed pretty hard. it was about 3' deep in the front. i had been busting through them all the way up. i lost my momentum, and only got half way into this one.

i have never found anything that does well in snow except for my old toyota. i had a welded rearend and 33" interco Trxus MT tires, those are by far the best mud tire and snow tire i have ever used. i wish they made them in a 33" tall tire for the commander. that would be sweet!

I'm not sure if you've spent much time driving offroad in snow, but I can tell you from firsthand experience that it is fairly easy to get stuck in snow with just about any 4wd vehicle. Anything under 18" shouldn't be much of a problem, but once you go over that amount, one wrong move can leave you stuck pretty good...

Of course the amount of snow will vary from vehicle to vehicle, but 18" is my own "driver beware" point in my 4Runner or Commander. Of course I haven't had a chance to drive the Commander in snow yet, but when it belonged to my cousin, he had it out in the same deep snow as my 4Runner.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
if you are in powder you are fine.

i got stuck in a snow drift, and packed pretty hard. it was about 3' deep in the front. i had been busting through them all the way up. i lost my momentum, and only got half way into this one.

!
Powder is harder to get stuck in, but you can still get stuck in powder. If you can't get your tires to reach down to something for traction, you're stuck no matter what.

The picture you posted is a good example. The snow is obviously not very deep, but even though it's not powder, you seem to be almost high centered on the snow and your tires just can't find traction. It's pretty easy to gauge the depth of snow by looking at the tires/wheels. If the snow is up to the top of your wheel (not tire) then it's approximately 21-22 inches deep (17 inches for the wheel and 4 or five inches for the sidewall of the tire below the wheel. That's assuming that there was some type of solid ground under your tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts