Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused on the the transmission filters. Do the 'kits' come complete with both the spin on filter and the pan filter? There are price differences and some of the online pictures only show one filter but in other site pictures show both and at the same price. As an example, AutoZone has on their website the filters for $19 and the pic shows both but on oreilly's site they several 'kits' one showing 1 filter in the pic at the same price as AZ, but have another 'kit' that shows both filters for about $40. Sorry if Im rambling. Anyone know some part #'s? Napa, dealer, AZ, or what is the best route to go for replacement filters? 545RFE tranny by the way.
Thanks,
Brett

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Throw in the pictures and description can be wrong on the website, its common. All you can do is read the description as best as possible, go to the store and if in Stock, ask them to get and open the box to show you whats in it.

I've seen aftermarket parts manufacturers claim just about anything to be a "kit".

The 545RFE, correct me if I'm wrong, has the pan sealed with RTV, so the kit may or may NOT include a gasket for the pan. Some manufacturers may NOT consider one of the two filters being necessary to change for normal maintenance, so they don't sell it.

And since there is another transmission available for the Commander, the website may be showing you parts/kits for the other transmission as well as the 545RFE.

The NAG1/W5A580 uses a single filter, typical plastic body flat filter, it also has a "Re-Usable" Seal on the pan. So a kit for that trans, may or may NOT have pan seal and still legitimately call itself a kit, because it includes everything you need to do a filter change (because you don't "Have" to change the pan seal).

·
Registered
244 Posts
How can I tell which Transmission I can so i can replace fluid and filter.. Thanks...

·
Registered
263 Posts
This may not be correct, but I believe the difference in transmission filters depends on whether 2 or 4 wheel drive. It never hurts to call your nearest Jeep dealer and speak to a parts rep. They are usually glad to answer your questions.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Rockauto has pretty good prices on Wix filter kits, they come with a pam gasket. Thier way Cheaper than O'Rileys for the same kit. And if you come across the same dilema I had, the commander has a deep trans pan. Find a 5% off code on line if you order from them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts