Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always thought something was alittle funny about my transmision!! Got a 06 2 whelldrive with a 4.7 motor, when I go to slow down I can feel the tranny down shifting, especially to the lower gears, seems to be getting worst. Also have had a couple of times where it will down shift going down a small hill with the cruise on, was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what is the solution?? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
213 Posts
I know mine has the hill descent feature (4.7L, 4x4) which I feel holding the vehicle back sometimes as I coast down hills.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
TPS said:
I know mine has the hill descent feature (4.7L, 4x4) which I feel holding the vehicle back sometimes as I coast down hills.
I thought only the 2008's had the hill descent feature.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am having similar problems with the tranny. It shifts funky when slowing down at stop signs red lights etc. The biggest thing that it has started recently is when traveling down the road with the cruise on. We were on the interstate when it did it the first time it shifts up and down for no reason we were on flat land. It runs the rpms sometimes to almost 6k. So it is going to be looked at tom. I am dropping it off at the dealer tonight. It does this odd shifting at any speed put only with the cruise on of course. I also find it slipping when I first put it into gear after sitting. You put it in gear and nothing happens. You give it gas and nothing. I have had this problem for sometime but the dealer I was going to said they did not see anything wrong and it had no problems. So new dealer same problems we will see what they can find. However, when I was at the dealer last week and described my problems the man was not suprised to hear some of my complaints. So I feel much better about this dealer already. I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Tlambert95 said:
I am having similar problems with the tranny. It shifts funky when slowing down at stop signs red lights etc. The biggest thing that it has started recently is when traveling down the road with the cruise on. We were on the interstate when it did it the first time it shifts up and down for no reason we were on flat land. It runs the rpms sometimes to almost 6k. So it is going to be looked at tom. I am dropping it off at the dealer tonight. It does this odd shifting at any speed put only with the cruise on of course. I also find it slipping when I first put it into gear after sitting. You put it in gear and nothing happens. You give it gas and nothing. I have had this problem for sometime but the dealer I was going to said they did not see anything wrong and it had no problems. So new dealer same problems we will see what they can find. However, when I was at the dealer last week and described my problems the man was not suprised to hear some of my complaints. So I feel much better about this dealer already. I will let you know how it goes.

I have the same issue with mine - '06 4x4 Hemi Limited. I have had the dealership look into several times and they claim the shifting is "normal" and the tranny is shifting based on my driving habbits :eek: (which are pretty harsh)

The tranny went at 850 miles and had to be rebuilt. I still think it has minor issues but get the same "we cannot find a problem" out of the service department. I guess that is why I have an extended warrenty :rolleyes:

·
Registered
258 Posts
wish I could have gottent the life time drive train warranty thing. They started that 6 weeks after I bought my Commander.....damn.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
jeep5253 said:
Hill descent control is first being made available on the 2008 models. What you are calling hill descent is the normal process that all cars use when the cruise is on. And yes it is a form of "descent control" but it only works when the cruise is on and uses trans. shifting to control the speed. It is not the true hill descent control that uses the brakes.

Hill Ascent control assists the driver when starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill by maintaining the same level of brake pressure the driver applied for a short period of time after the foot has been removed from the brake pedal. The system will release the brake pedal in proportion to the amount of throttle applied. If the throttle is not applied within a short period of time after the foot has been removed from the brake pedal, Hill Ascent Control will release brake pressure.

Hill Descent control allows a smooth and controlled hill descent on rough or slippery terrain without the driver needing to touch the brake pedal. This system applies the brakes to each wheel individually when needed to reduce forward motion while negotiating down steep grades.
Right, that's why I said hill descent with cruise and not all cars have it. All cars will let up but not slow them down.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
My 06 Hemi Limited does slow me down on a descent with the cruise on in order to maintain speed. I like it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
HemiCommander said:
I have the same issue with mine - '06 4x4 Hemi Limited. I have had the dealership look into several times and they claim the shifting is "normal" and the tranny is shifting based on my driving habbits :eek: (which are pretty harsh)

The tranny went at 850 miles and had to be rebuilt. I still think it has minor issues but get the same "we cannot find a problem" out of the service department. I guess that is why I have an extended warrenty :rolleyes:
Yeah that is the story I got from the dealer I was taking it to. I hope the new guys can figure something out. I am having all kinds of problems this just happens to be one of the many. The only thing the other dealer managed to fix was the side window not going up and down. I was happy though when I started telling the guy at the new dealership my problems and he had heard of some of my problems so my hope is they will actually fix it. I dropped it off yest. and said keep however long it takes. So we will see. I hate having so many issues because we really love the jeep but such is life sometimes. I tell my husband if we did not have bad luck we would not have any luck at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts