Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure I should start a new thread so if you need to take this down I get it. Jeep5253 suggested I try it so here it is.
DO I NEED A NEW TRANS OR SHOULD I TRY TO CHANGE VALVE BODY/ SOLENOID?
Not sure if I should try to fix myself w valve body or needs new trans. Thx in advance for your time.
Just bought from a friend I trust 3 weeks ago a 2006 xk 5.7 Limited QD2. The 545rfe was rebuilt last year - Trans slips out of 1st from D but will E shifts ok 1-5. Jeep Dealership and local trans shop in Jersey say I have shavings and some pieces of metal in pan, although didn't c it w my own eyes. I should of dropped the pan myself and looked, this won't ever happen again. I have a 1 year warranty w 2 mo left but w a shady trans shop in Brooklyn that friend had it done before I owned. Shady shop says valve body/solenoid caused the problem that I may need a new trans and solenoid isn't covered. Sounded like bs but needed to ask someone who knows. Could the valve body cause me to need a new rebuilt? I can change valve body/solenoid/filters/correct fluid myself if that will fix the problem. IF.... here is the problem.
P0700 - Trans Control Sys Malfunction
*P0731 - gear 1 ratio incorrect
Symptoms;From D vehicle slips out of gear as soon as some movement but can E shift 1-5 w/o slippage but if I put my foot on brake and not move in drive and rev to 3000rpm no slippage in D until vehicle moves. As a try, after vehicle gets 1nto 2nd I can shift to neutral then back to D and vehicle will go through gears except if I need to slow down to 1st. Fluid levels r good and I changed the Input and Output speed sensors. I also checked they both have a good ground and 5 volts.
THX, sorry to bother everyone but I am cash poor at moment but am a little handy.
Jerry Jones

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx SkullHunter

Just looked on car-part.com there's tons of transmissions for around $200. Maybe you can find one local to you so you don't have to pay shipping.
Never put a trans in myself but after talking to some scetchy shops by me, my teenage boys will have to put some muscle into helping me but I think I may try it. thx

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Final Follow Up - Needed new trans in the end. Took advice from other post and had great well appreciated advice through private messages etc... after I dropped the pan, inspected the bottom, dropped both filters, I took apart the flat filter to see if it had goodies inside and it had all kinds of large metal and other junk in it so it was clear that it was more than a valve body. thx again and now I owe Mother-in-law $2600 but have a great ride

Last I found a great link all about the 545rfe trans and how to problem shoot etc...
https://s3.amazonaws.com/jeepwranglerjk2010/7c037b4b.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts