Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 07 Commander (3.7L,2300 miles) do something that was a bit odd. It only happened once, but I thought I'd toss it out here for some input.After being parked for a short period of time, I was driving from the store I was at and the transmission didnt shift out of 2nd gear, I let of the throttle, but it still didn't shift. I looked at the "prindle" (shift indicator) and all positions (PRND) had the boxed outline around them. I pulled over right away and shut the car off. Restarted it and everything was fine. No problems since. Anybody hear of this? Dont really want to go to the dlr, they kind of get this glazed look over their eyes when you describe this stuff to the service writer. I'd rather deal with the techs any day.I dont like people messing with my cars unless needed. Any input is appreciated:)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wvcommander said:
You have a shift indicator module going bad, it is part of the transmission shifter assembly. I have done quite a few.
thanks for the info, but does the shifter module also control the actual trans shift pattern? and can the dealer retrieve a code to verfy this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
yes it can, the module tells the TCM what gear the shifter is in. if it does not know, it goes to limp mode, Yes there should be a stored DTC

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info!, looks like I'm gonna go to my 5 star dealer to have it checked out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
shift indicator module going bad

This is great, I just came home after experiencing the exact same problem. Knew that all I could tell the dealership in my own blond female language was that there were little boxes around the Park Reverse etc on the dashboard and the car did not shift gears anymore. At least now I can talk intelligently to the dealership. (as if I will have a clue what I am talking about ...haha) I have learned from experience, if I don't tell them what the problem is, they will never ever be able to find it out on their own with their sophisticated equipment, at least not where I bring my car. Thanks again, hopefully I will not need the forum for problems again though I do believe I will be back.:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Glad to have you as a member. Fortunately technical service problems are small in number. You'll find a lot of topics about your jeep on the different forum pages. It appears you have already found the search feature. Welcome !

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Welcome, there is a lot of really good information and even better people in here. Enjoy your new vehicle and use the search fuction to find the answers to most any question you can think of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any idea what the average cost is to purchase and have the shifter module replaced at a dealership? My Jeep Commander has the same issue and is out of warranty....

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
And I'm wondering how difficult it is to change it on your own...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
aeo1534 said:
Which transmission do you have the multi-speed or the regular five speed?
My Commander is the base Sport model, which I believe has the Mercedes 5 spd auto....just an update, I have not had a repeat incident since I first posted, but I have read many posts here about the same. I would think the module is under the shifter. Shouldnt be hard to replace. -43:D

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a similar problem. I would park the Jeep after driving a bit, and after it set for about an hour, It would hesitate to go into gear. Of course, the dealer couldn't replicate it...So I'm stuck with it.

Another time, while in front of Circle K, I spilled about 20 oz of coffee directly on the shifter cluster. After freaking out and yelling a bit, I cleaned it up as best as I could. On the way home, it started shifting down by itself. It would go 4,3,2, and I would have to pull over and restart the car. I tried to manually shift up or down, but I guess it was shorting out.
I took it apart and cleaned it up really good, and haven't had any problems like that since.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Awesome that I found this topic...
This past weekend a buddy of mine was driving my commander(due to my impairment from to many beer sodas) and all off a sudden you could feel the jeep jump down in gears and the tachometer was on the verge of redlining. We parked then cranked it back up and everything was fine. Would this be the same issue? Thanks all I was extremely worried/mad after this happened but luckily I only have 30k miles on it so its still under warranty.

·
Administrator
15,241 Posts
Maybe your buddy accidently engaged the auto-stick ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats what I figured as well, but I guess im a little over cautious since I have had so many problems with it before and im nearing the dreaded 36k. Speaking of auto-stick, whenever I am in Cruise Control and the engine shifts in to a lower gear to slow down I try turning off cruise and hitting the stick to shift back up to 5th but nothing ever happens. What gives?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts