Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 06 jeep commander hemi AWD. My transfer case only drives the rear tires in 4/low not 4/high. It will drive the front tires in either front either 4/low or 4/high. Kind of a weird problem but I found it while changing out the front driveshaft rear cv joint. My question is is this purely a actuator problem? It truly acts like the transfer case is in neutral when the front shaft is removed. It will switch between 4/low and 4/high.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the QDII system, which you may have also.

I have found that if I remove the front shaft, my transmission will not move the car. The system has to have both shafts connected to work in this case. Unlike the older NP242 AWD transfer cases that used to come in the Cherokees, those you could remove the front shaft and be just fine. In fact you usually took it off for long distance highway driving to save some MPGs.

I am sure there is a very technical reason for the shaft behavior, but it just comes down to the AWD system needs to 'feel' both sides of the drive system in order to function correctly.

Dave

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Qd2

The Quadra drive system that came out in 1999 in the WJ Limited was the first, however it was different from the 2.

the biggest difference is that though it sensed the same speed differences, it did it W/O any electric pieces to monitor anything. It was done through orifices in the Transfer Case, and both Axles. Simple and as long as the fluids is clean and you have traction you're in. In the modern era we have to monitor all things and report same to be interperated as ?

We have both a 1999 WJ and a 2010 XK

Swanny

1 - 3 of 3 Posts