Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been talking with Ross about the difficulty in getting T-Max to deliver their winch. Ross has stayed on top of the issue and we have deceided to go with a Bulldog winch with the same or maybe even better specifications. I have also determined that I want to mount the winch on a mount that allows me to move it from the front to the back or even to my motorhome or to my car transport trailer. I am getting the receiver mounted base shown below.

I am getting several of these electrical wiring kits. One will run to the back of the Commander to power the winch if it is used there. These can also be used to remote power for such items as jumper cables or any other high amp 12 volt usage. I will also put a kits on the motorhome and the car transport trailer.

This is the master shutoff for the electrical connectors.

This is a cover fot the winch although I plan on keeping it in the storage compartment that replaced my third seat.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I considered a winch like that before I got my bumper, but now, I'll just hold on for something permanent. But, it was definitely an option - especially now that Ross is looking at developing a front mounting point.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Would the 4x4lost bumper with winch interfere with the ability to tow the XK? Huey, I believe you have stated you tow XK on occasion, but maybe not with your own car hauler.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Bill could use the bumper as an attachment point. once the bumper is bolted on, its not coming off. i build these bumper so have a very tight fit. there is no slop in the fitting.

heres a few pictures for Bill. i'm building this bumper for a Guy out in New York. he wanted a hitch on the front of his bumper as well. so i added that.

i added some gussets top and bottom to spread the load of the hitch.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i should have a vender account set up with these guys today or tomorrow.

i spoke with the owner directly and was pretty impressed. he knows his stuff. he started this business 3 years ago. he sounded interested to have a Wyoming Distributor.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cico,
I use a Blue Ox baseplate and towbar to tow my XK. The baseplate bolts up to the tube under the bumper where the tow hooks normally mount. It uses eight bolts, (two on the bottom and two on the inside of each tube). This mount is completely different than the "Get Lost" bumper mounting location. I took the baseplate off to test fit the new bumper and I have to trim off a few places on the underside of the new bumper to make it work. It will not interfere at all with either the bumper or the receiver mounted winch.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ross,

Tell the new supplier that I ordered over $400 in winch accessories last night. Maybe they can ship all of it at the same time. Thanks again for your help in getting the winch situation resolved. I also was thinking last night and I think I will take the 24 foot wiring kit and make a 24 foot extension rather than installing it below the Commander to the rear of the vehicle. Then I can use the extension to hook the winch up to any vehicle within about 25 feet of mine. With two sets of connectors I can insert the 24 feet or leave it out.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
they should be calling me today. i'll update you as soon as i get some info set-up.

i'm ready to buy a few winches right now. just so i don't have to constantly keep worring about T-Max and their inability to ship these out.

Thanks for your patience. I've been on these guys with phone calls for 2 weeks now. I'm excited to try someone else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts