Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so i have a 2006 3.7L and i was curious if it is possible for me to put in the QD2 or the QT2 transfer case in my veh or would it be a pain. i noticed there are alot of wrecked commanders on the internet i could probly pick up a transfer case for a cheap price. i just am wondering if it is possible? does any one have any input? plzzzzzz help

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
like i am just curious if it is possible for me to swap out my qt1 with the qt2. i am assuming that the qt1 and qt2 would have the same shell case but i was just curiuos if any one knows if this is possible and if it would be possible with the 3.7L

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nvm i think i may have answered my own question. but still would like to hear your input guys come on.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
You'd have to switch out the t-case and install the QTII control module and 4LO handle. Might be worth it if you can get the parts cheap but I don't know what else you'd need to make it work correctly.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i figured that. i know id have to change out the module and all but i could probly get the transfercase and the module and the 4 low handle for a cheap price in a wrecked XK. and it wouldnt be hard to put the transfercase in i mean maybe all of about 2 hours to put it in and all but would it work is my question? does anyone know.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i would call a reputable jeep dealer in your area, and find out if the transfer case mounting is the same.

if it is then its just a matter of wiring it up. the QT2 and QD2 transfer cases are the same. the only differences are in the axles.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya i know that the axles are dif in them 2. but i was wondering i mean quad trac 1 and quad trac 2 i would think the casings would be the same but the internals would probly be different. is it possible for anyone to maybe try and take a few pics of the QT2 transfer case and the QD 2 so i can compare the 2 of them?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
What I would do is find someone close by that can meet up with you and just take a look underneith at both transfer cases. If the bolt pattern is the same then they obviously should bolt up. You can easily find a t-case from a junk yard and a rear drive shaft (if needed) and the t handle to activate it.

My guess though is that you would need the computer out of a vehicle with QT II. The only problem i see with that is they only come in the 4.7 liter and obviously that wont work with your 3.7 liter. If the computer doesnt have anything to do with it then you would be set. But i would assume the computer does since it determines when to transfer power when slipping occurs in full time 4wd. Unless thats what the transfer case does. Not sure.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Good idea, adding 4Low and ELSD to your Commander with make a difference and dererve the try.

One more thing to consider is how to reprogram the computer to control the new transfer case!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya well the transfer case would play most of the part in the power portions to the wheels and im hoping that the veh will ahve a module for the QT2 and then a module for the qt1 and hoping that it is just a differnet module instead of the whole computer itself b.c if it is im stuck with the qt1 and would love a 4 low option.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I will try to check wither the transfer case control module is the same or not later today, also the Final drive control module might be different !!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes that maybe true there is alot to look into but i think it would be a great mod for us guys that love wheeling with the 3.7L i would drop that new transfercase and everything in my truck in a heart beat if it was all possible.

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
Merged the two threads check out some of the older posts above for more information regarding your question. (found and restored 3 more Jeep5253 posts inhere :) )

I put threads back to two as they subject was not one as I originally thought.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
a49erFan said:
Merged the two threads check out some of the older posts above for more information regarding your question. (found and restored 3 more Jeep5253 posts inhere :) )
The two threads are different in my opinion, the original was talking about upgrading the axles diffs to ELSD and the recent one from bsnyder717 is talking about upgrading the transfer case only to NV245. the merge confused me!

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
Ahmed said:
The two threads are different in my opinion, the original was talking about upgrading the axles diffs to ELSD and the recent one from bsnyder717 is talking about upgrading the transfer case only to NV245. the merge confused me!
Sorry maybe I read too much into the two posts but the general thought I had was on upgrading which is the subject matter of BOTH threads. Sorry if I confused anyone it was not my intent.

The content in the merged thread explains why you cannot upgrade just one part.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
a49erFan said:
Sorry maybe I read too much into the two posts but the general thought I had was on upgrading which is the subject matter of BOTH threads. Sorry if I confused anyone it was not my intent.

The content in the merged thread explains why you cannot upgrade just one part.
You are correct that both upgrades (the diffs and transfer case) need more than one part to be upgraded for sure... but they still two different upgrades involved with two different parts in the vehicle and can be done separately. the diffs are upgraded to go from QT-II to QD-II and transfer case is upgraded to go from QT-I to QT-II.

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
Threads restored to original form, Thanks Ahmed for pointing out the difference.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Thank you :) ,, I guess it wasn't very easy to separate them! Thanks for your effort.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so is it possible or you dont know?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
After thinking about it for a while i really do think it is possible. All the transfer case does in QT II is lock both the front and rear drive shafts when engaged in 4 LOW to give equal power to the front and rear axle. Get all the parts together and bring it down here on a weekend and we will throw it on the lift and make it work!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts