Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Something went wrong with my transmission. I made a stop, and when I tried to move forward, I felt a very strong bump in my transmission. The car stopped working after that. The car won't move forward, park, and reverse. It feels like the car is on neutral. However, when i do try to reverse or park, the car makes a weird rattling sound like gears grinding each other. I used my scanner, but it could not detect anything. . . . Also, when I switch to standard gear or mechanic gear, the dashboard does not the change (eg. 1st drive, 2nd drive, 3rd drive , etc). My car is 4 x 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Have you checked the fluid on the dip stick? use a nice white rag or paper towel and see if there is any odd discoloration. It should be red, clear, and not smell burnt.

It can be a shade darker from fruit juice (for example), but red/black could be something. A burnt smell is also something you do not want, although that is not a death marker by any means.

If there is metal in the fluid that ends up on your rag/paper towel, time for a shop to check up on it and drop the pan for an inspection.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts