Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else experience this:

As I gently slow down to a stop sign, etc. the commander clunks at 20mph.

My jeep dealer says it is normal the the chip has learned how I drive. If you have experience have you been able to fix

Greg
06 Limited 4.7 4x2

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I actually notice it when I slow down going down hill in my neighborhood. Never thought about bringing it in and asking about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up my new Jeep a little over a week ago. I noticed right from the dealer that when I was slowing below 20mph I heard a loud clunk from the transmission. I thought perhaps it was break in...it continued for 300 miles. I checked the trans fluid and it was low...had it filled and it was almost a quart low. I hoped that would fix it...no go..I also noticed that around 45-50mph the Jeep seemed to be "searching" for the gear. It seamed to drop off and serge. Took it to the dealer...they checked the trans, looked for TSB's and finally just "relearned the transmission". I assume that is resetting the computer? It improved the 45-50mph problem and the "clunking" when downshifting is greatly improved. Not gone completely, I still think it downshifts a little hard sometimes.

At this point I guess I'll just live the with the occassional hard downshift. DH reminds me that I'm used to his Ram 1500 Hemi with a "Mercedes" transmission and my old Stratus Coupe with it's Japanese transmission. That's a pretty sad commentary...Germany and Japan can make smooth trans...buy US and you get clunking! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
82 Posts
My dad has a Grand Cherokee Limeted with the Hemi and his does the same thing, I do notice it on mine but only at low speeds like approaching a stop sign.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same thing, ugh, so annoying, sometimes its really bad too.

If anyone has any specific things i can tell my dealer to do, i think i might bring it in soon.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
RedCommander said:
every week when I go to lunch with a guy from work he asks "is that your transmission", "have you heard it yet", etc...
I hate people like that... especially when they climb out of a bucket of bolts econobox.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well looks like I will have to be the bearer of bad news. Clearing out computer will only resolve the clunk for a short period of time. It will eventually return. Having the dealer clear the ECM (Computer) will only resolve for a short period of time.

Even having the dealer replace the ECM will not resolve and chrylser will give you BS line that its is learning how you drive. Then they will tell you all their RFE545 transmissions make the clunk.

I am starting to wonder if may be it is the rear axle because it feels more like the clunk is coming from the rear of the vehicle.

greg

·
Registered
401 Posts
Had the same problem for the first thousand miles or two. But it seems to have stopped, as I haven't hear it in about the last 10,000.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Haags said:
Had the same problem for the first thousand miles or two. But it seems to have stopped, as I haven't hear it in about the last 10,000.
Same here, I totally forgot about it, would drive me crazy. Havent felt it in at least 10K miles. I am at 18K now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
csamos2 said:
Get the exact same thing on occasion, but its very subtle. Almost no noise, and just a subtle bump. Doesnt really bother me at all
Same here. It's so minor that it doesn't even bother me. In my previous cars I had poly mounts for the engine and transmission and that would knock hard because they are so stiff and a lot stronger than the cheap rubber that is used in oem mounts. So this little thud is nothing compared to what I used to have.

·
Registered
176 Posts
mine between 20-25MPH slowing down

my 07 4.7 started doing it around 4000miles. Now at 8K it still does it which is very annoying. I always watch my speedo everytime I come to a stop and when it hits 20-25MPH, CLUNK!, I must do this at least 20 times a day. Gives me something to look forward to while commuting.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My wife's 03' Grand Cherokee does the same thing at low speeds she has the 4.7L V8.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Its the same for me at 10-15mph but only ever so slight. I had a similar knock with the CRD Engined XH which has a different gearbox all together.

All my Auto Land Rovers did the same and my wifes ML55 has a similar knock also....I'm not worried by it and I cover some huge milage week on week! :)

I think we all like our trucks to be perfect and give them the love they deserve, and when we hear a knock we worry about them as if they were our loved ones! :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Phew, this is making me feel better, I've had my XK for 3000 miles now, (has 21000 on it) and it's been doing the same thing... just when I am in stop and go traffic, so about 10-15 mph... and I have been concerned.

I have had stick shift cars previously, so I was getting concerned when I was hearing this clunk from the transmission.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
My mom's '06 Limited QTII did the same thing for about one year. I drove her Jeep a few times last month and the "clunk" on the downshift is gone. It may be that the ECM is sorting things out.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts