Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my Commander in for it's Mobil 1 oil change. Technician told me I have a leaky transmission pan seal. Brought it into Jeep on warranty. I was told that the leak was more complicated than the gasket. They put some dye into the fluid to find the leak which they think is on top of the transmission. So next week I have to drop it back off so they can drop the tranny to find the leak. Just as my warranty was coming to an end. Thank you Mobil 1 technician.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I do not know a lot about automatic transmissions but because of the exhaust routing on the commander I would guess that any work needed to the trans would be complicated even changing the fluid/pan gasket.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As one who is not mechanical, I can only say it must be a nightmare.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I currently have the same problem. Car Sense where I bought my Commander found a leaky trans pan and they thought it was cracked. Still under my 30k warranty I went to a dealer and they replaced the pan and resealed. Went back to Car Sense for a tune up and they said the same problem is still there im at 27k miles and have to take it to a different dealer as the previous one is now closed b/c of thr bankruptcy. The closest dealer is an hour away...it is such a pain!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you, it's an inconvenience. I'm lucky enough to have a stealership close by that's still in business.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The majority of these 'above the pan level leaks' are caused by the o-ring sealing the ecm connecter going through the trans housing.
There is a T.S.B.

Rob
It seems like there are always problems with "O" rings, no matter where they are. Fords were always notorius for "O" ring problems.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
It seems like there are always problems with "O" rings, no matter where they are. Fords were always notorius for "O" ring problems.
So was the space shuttle Challenger!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They found the leak! After removing the transmission, they found it was in a pressure line. Also, all of you that are still on warranty, check your rear seat divider cup holder. There is a black piece of plastic in there that breaks. That whole section would have to be replaced. Luckily, all done on warranty.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I did a complete walk-through the engine bay and underneath the vehicle. I figured I have the tranny pan looked at again (was service previously at the dealer I bought it from). Apparently the pan is leaking again, or maybe something around there. My XK is at the dealer since this morning. I included that problem for them to fix, since I have less than 100 miles before the basic warranty is up :(. Thank goodness for extended warranty, but sucks about the $100 deductible.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just think what it would cost if they had to drop the tranny to fix it. $100. could be a tip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you guys have any ideas on something I could say to the dealer to try and get them to take care of this for free? I only have 18k on my commander, but the 36 month warranty expired in July... I think I have a legit complaint, any vehicle having a tranny leak this early in the game probably isn't good news. I just noticed it today while I was doing an oil change. There were spots of fluid in the bolts on the pan. No drips yet, but very noticiable from under the vehicle. I am 95% percent its a pan gasket. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been a ford guy and have never had to deal with a jeep dealer

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Do you guys have any ideas on something I could say to the dealer to try and get them to take care of this for free? I only have 18k on my commander, but the 36 month warranty expired in July... I think I have a legit complaint, any vehicle having a tranny leak this early in the game probably isn't good news. I just noticed it today while I was doing an oil change. There were spots of fluid in the bolts on the pan. No drips yet, but very noticiable from under the vehicle. I am 95% percent its a pan gasket. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been a ford guy and have never had to deal with a jeep dealer
The manufacturer takes the position that 36 months/36 thousand mile coverage, WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST is reasonable and generous.
They also say: The customer had more than ample time to extend the warranty and chose to roll the dice. Sorry it didn't work out.
I don't work for a manufacturer, but I used to.

That being said, whatever you get is a gift.
I would let the dealer inspect and make a decision asap though.
You are only mere weeks out of warranty so hurry up.
Also, check very carefully for the leak point.
Many of these had a 'o' ring seepage at a wire connector just above the pan lip and there is a product update that was free during warranty.
If this is your failure you may be able to plead your case successfully.

Good luck,
Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well finally got the XK to the dealer today, and it was indeed the electrical plug on the tranny that was leaking. They covered it under warranty (shockingly). I was very grateful of the dealer for doing it as it saved me likely $200. Will be visiting them in the future if I can't do the work myself

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Well finally got the XK to the dealer today, and it was indeed the electrical plug on the tranny that was leaking. They covered it under warranty (shockingly). I was very grateful of the dealer for doing it as it saved me likely $200. Will be visiting them in the future if I can't do the work myself
Good to hear it worked out for you.

Please consider naming the dealer for the forum......Sounds like a Atta Boy is in order.

Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good to hear it worked out for you.

Please consider naming the dealer for the forum......Sounds like a Atta Boy is in order.

Rob
It was Performance Jeep in Omaha, NE... I ended up going to them because Chrysler shut down the dealer I got mine from (thank god, worst buying experience of my life)

Thanks again Rob for the help!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2006 Commander just developed a leak dripping off the Transmission case. It has about 24K right now. Thanks for the tips on the possible leak point. I'll be taking it in to a trusted shop soon. Funny, they just did an oil change and did not see the leek.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
My 2006 Commander just developed a leak dripping off the Transmission case. It has about 24K right now. Thanks for the tips on the possible leak point. I'll be taking it in to a trusted shop soon. Funny, they just did an oil change and did not see the leek.

It may not have been leaking a few days ago.....heck, it hasn't leaked for 4 years.
This seal can fail at anytime, thats why it was redesigned with a different material.

Rob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts