Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP", transmission intermitantly disengages... NEED HELP!

Morning folks!

2006, Jeep Commander... 105k. 4.7l V-8.

Just in the last few days the dash "ding"s, "TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP" displays on the EVIC, and the transmission begins to intermitantly disengage (almost like throwing it into neutral while driving down the road)...

Auxillary cooler up-front powers on and the fans runs and runs...

No "check engine" light, no other major indicators, and tranny pain is approx 140-160 degrees (checked with thermal imaging camera). Tranny fluid is above where it needs to be on the dipstick, and the cooler lines were replaced back in December.

I am being laid off in two weeks and cannot afford to have my vehicle in an out of the shop, racking up huge "dianose" and "treat" bills...

:bncry::bncry:

ANY HELP, anybody can lend would be appreciated VERY much... I just don't know what to do.... :bncry:

-SR

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wonder if this could be related to the recall notice that chrysler is delaying on regarding reflashing software to the tranmission module. Did u contact the dealer?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't called yet... But Jeep doesnt have a formal "plan" to address the recalls yet... I am not sure WHAT to do. Only that I don't have the $$$ to fix it right now. Ugh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Morning folks!

Just in the last few days the dash "ding"s, "TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP" displays on the EVIC, and the transmission begins to intermitantly disengage (almost like throwing it into neutral while driving down the road)...

No "check engine" light, no other major indicators, and tranny pain is approx 140-160 degrees (checked with thermal imaging camera). Tranny fluid is above where it needs to be on the dipstick, and the cooler lines were replaced back in December.

I am being laid off in two weeks and cannot afford to have my vehicle in an out of the shop, racking up huge "dianose" and "treat" bills...

ANY HELP, anybody can lend would be appreciated VERY much... I just don't know what to do.... :bncry:

-SR

Having the EXACT same issue with my 2005 Grand Cherokee. Seems to happen completely randomly, and usually pulling over and turning it off for a few seconds solves the issue. But, when it does happen, same as yours as if tranny disengaged or something and fan kicks on. Did you have any luck figuring out what it was?

Scheduled to take mine in tomorrow, but I can't really afford this either, so hoping it's somethign simple...

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same thing for me, "Transmission Over Temp" displayed with the tranny not actually getting hot, but the for me the tranny did not slip. Also this warning gave me the "service 4x4 needed" when trying to got to 4xLow.
I took to the jeep dealer and the mechanic did some great troubleshooting. He connected a tranny simulator (talks to the computer like a know good tranny) and the Over temp faults was still intermittently showing up. He then connected a break out box to the wire harness and measured the pins, but no shorts found. He then sprayed the connector that plugs in to the PCM box (inside the engine compartment on the passenger side fender wall, the connector close to the firewall) with dielectric spray and connected it back, the fault went away after clearing the fault code stored in the memory.
So my suggestion is to pull off that connector (might want to disconnect the battery) and clean out the connector pins.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I wonder if this could be related to the recall notice that chrysler is delaying on regarding reflashing software to the tranmission module. Did u contact the dealer?
The recall isn't for the transmission it's for the transfer case

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had that problem too as well as a variety of shuddering issues. Almost said heck with it and wanted to leave it on the side of the road. Since the Transmission cooler is tied in with the Airconditioner condenser ( 6" or so at the top of the a/c condenser), and is behind the power steering cooler. There is no way that cooler is actually going to get cool. As well As, since the trans cooler can't get cool, the engine rad is going to heat up as well. Merely dropping the power steering cooler to the next bolts, frees up the trans cooler to actually get cool, and drops the engine temps down.

Transmission problems simply vanished!!! I've been fighting this **** for a couple years. Been to the dealer many times.

Yes this puts the power steering cooler at an angle, but who cares. Not difficult to make a bracket for it though.

Now, I didn't come to this conclusion all by myself, I did notice one day out walking and came by a 2010 Commander hemi that the Power steering cooler was down quite low, so Jeep must have known about this problem but didn't tell anybody....

2006 Jeep Commander limited Hemi 145K Miles

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Have you checked for fault codes? That is your first step. You may need to pay someone to read the codes from the transmission.

The "TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP" message in the EVIC can trigger for things that are NOT the transmission overheating.

We drained/flushed/refilled the coolant on my brother's '07 GC with v6/NAG1, it had air bubbles still in the motor, so on the first test drive (only a 1/2 mile) the engine water temp spiked, he got the TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP message in the EVIC. I hooked up my AutoEnginuity Scan Tool within in minutes and checked the trans temp from the trans temp sensor and it said it was normal. It has never come back after that.

But he had NO trans problems what so ever, you're getting some serious trans problems.

"Tranny fluid is above where it needs to be on the dipstick" that is NOT good, you have a V8, so you don't have the NAG1 that is super sensative to overfill, but most automatic trans are sensative to overfill, if it says "Do NOT Overfill" on the dipstick, then the trans is sensative to overfill. That has become such common knowledge today, that they often don't put it on the dipstick anymore.

Overfilling the trans fluid can cause the trans fluid to foam, and the symptoms you described can be caused by foaming fluid. How much over the line was the fluid? A tiny bit over the line, unless you were going up a really steep hill, I doubt the fluid foamed, if its way over the line, likely the fluid did foam.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Have you checked for fault codes? That is your first step. You may need to pay someone to read the codes from the transmission.

The "TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP" message in the EVIC can trigger for things that are NOT the transmission overheating.

We drained/flushed/refilled the coolant on my brother's '07 GC with v6/NAG1, it had air bubbles still in the motor, so on the first test drive (only a 1/2 mile) the engine water temp spiked, he got the TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP message in the EVIC. I hooked up my AutoEnginuity Scan Tool within in minutes and checked the trans temp from the trans temp sensor and it said it was normal. It has never come back after that.

But he had NO trans problems what so ever, you're getting some serious trans problems.

"Tranny fluid is above where it needs to be on the dipstick" that is NOT good, you have a V8, so you don't have the NAG1 that is super sensative to overfill, but most automatic trans are sensative to overfill, if it says "Do NOT Overfill" on the dipstick, then the trans is sensative to overfill. That has become such common knowledge today, that they often don't put it on the dipstick anymore.

Overfilling the trans fluid can cause the trans fluid to foam, and the symptoms you described can be caused by foaming fluid. How much over the line was the fluid? A tiny bit over the line, unless you were going up a really steep hill, I doubt the fluid foamed, if its way over the line, likely the fluid did foam.
Hah the NAG1 doesnt even come equipped with a trans dipstick, simply a cover that says dealer service only. :rofl:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Hah the NAG1 doesnt even come equipped with a trans dipstick, simply a cover that says dealer service only. :rofl:
Hah, you can buy the dip stick tool off ebay and follow the FSM procedures to service the NAG1 trans yourself. They put the plug on stating "dealer service only" for the typical auto consumer that is pretty ignorant.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Morning folks!

-SR
robertsteve; Did you get this fixed? Any updates?

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Having the EXACT same issue with my 2005 Grand Cherokee. Seems to happen completely randomly, and usually pulling over and turning it off for a few seconds solves the issue. But, when it does happen, same as yours as if tranny disengaged or something and fan kicks on. Did you have any luck figuring out what it was?

Scheduled to take mine in tomorrow, but I can't really afford this either, so hoping it's somethign simple...

Thanks for any help!
cfarudi; Did you get this fixed? Any updates?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, Been off the forums for a long time...

Issue never got fixed. I just know to take it easy when it's humid out... Now at 144k for miles and still just dealing with it. :/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having this same issue just now on my 2006 5.7 Commander. Stopped, pulled the dipstick, and it wasn't really hot. I'll try to clean off the PCM plug, like someone here noted (thanks!), and see if that does it. Otherwise, I'm still open to suggestions! My commander only has 106k on it and is running smoothly.

·
Administrator
6,843 Posts
Having this same issue just now on my 2006 5.7 Commander. Stopped, pulled the dipstick, and it wasn't really hot. I'll try to clean off the PCM plug, like someone here noted (thanks!), and see if that does it. Otherwise, I'm still open to suggestions! My commander only has 106k on it and is running smoothly.
Have you ever had the transmission serviced - meaning having the transmission fluid and filters changed?

·
Administrator
6,843 Posts
Just drove back from a weekend trip 265 miles with the transmission over temp on and that loud fan roaring all the way home. Last 20 or so miles the message cleared fan turned off and kept running strong.

Just got my radiator replaced. Not sure if a solution was found since the last post.

Thx
@[email protected]; A few questions for you;

What year is your Commander?

What trim package & 4WD system do you have?

How many miles are on your XK?

Have you ever had the transmission serviced - meaning having the transmission fluid and filters changed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
@[email protected]; A few questions for you;

What year is your Commander?

What trim package & 4WD system do you have?

How many miles are on your XK?

O6. 141,xxx
Bought at 139,xxx not sure when if it has been serviced. But TF is healthy in both color smell. Level is right where it is supposed to be. Most times the message pops up I can just pull over and restart engine and message clears. But sometimes it stays on. Can also go for a week or more going to work and back with no transmission over temp message. Very perplexed. Jeep dealer wants $120 that I dont have just to diagnose

1 - 20 of 34 Posts