Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have seem some research somewhere (maybe on here) that it is associated with the AC lines / coolers. Mine only does it when I am at idle or at a light with AC on high. Happened maybe a hand full of times in past year.

I thought someone had relocated their trans cooler away from the AC cooler and added a fan that did the trick.

Mine is an 06 with 131K Limited 4x2 hemi

·
Administrator
6,843 Posts
O6. 141,xxx
Bought at 139,xxx not sure when if it has been serviced. But TF is healthy in both color smell. Level is right where it is supposed to be. Most times the message pops up I can just pull over and restart engine and message clears. But sometimes it stays on. Can also go for a week or more going to work and back with no transmission over temp message. Very perplexed. Jeep dealer wants $120 that I dont have just to diagnose
I think spending the $120.00 for a proper diagnostics is the proper thing to do.

Are you seeing any DTC's (Diagnostic trouble codes) being generated in the EVIC?

You can do the key dance to pull any codes that are being generated by turning the ignition switch on/off 3 times quickly;

Here's a comprehensive list of transmission DTC's;

Jeep Commander Transmission Problems & Cost | 545RFE | W5A580

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think spending the $120.00 for a proper diagnostics is the proper thing to do.

Are you seeing any DTC's (Diagnostic trouble codes) being generated in the EVIC?

You can do the key dance to pull any codes that are being generated by turning the ignition switch on/off 3 times quickly;

Here's a comprehensive list of transmission DTC's;

Jeep Commander Transmission Problems & Cost | 545RFE | W5A580
No codes.
Tranny only slips when message pops up. Other than that it runs like a champ.
I might just have to go in to dealer. Thanks for the help

·
Administrator
6,843 Posts
O6. 141,xxx
Bought at 139,xxx not sure when if it has been serviced. But TF is healthy in both color smell. Level is right where it is supposed to be. Most times the message pops up I can just pull over and restart engine and message clears. But sometimes it stays on. Can also go for a week or more going to work and back with no transmission over temp message. Very perplexed. Jeep dealer wants $120 that I dont have just to diagnose
What powertrain & 4WD system do you have? Do you know?

·
Registered
2 Posts
TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP", transmission intermitantly what's going on why so many problems with a Jeep Commander

·
Administrator
6,843 Posts
TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP", transmission intermitantly what's going on why so many problems with a Jeep Commander
@Locmom; Has your transmission ever been serviced? If not - or if you don't know, @201,000 miles, it's probably time.

That would entail having your transmission fluid & filters changed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't know if I posted this here or not.... I have a 2006 commander limited and have had the intermittent gremlin 'trans over temp' warning for a few years. I've tried to research it best I could. Many people just said forget it and put in a manual temp gauge so they could be sure of the trans temp. I recently looked all over Google on how to replace my alternator but it seems to be a big secret. I came across this guy who was changing his alternator too on his Jeep and he mentioned the trans over temp gremlin. Ok, what he did was removed the end of the airbox tube that goes towards the grill...the end piece looks like a deflector. He blew out the pins too. The trans warning hasn't happened since. Well, I'd piss on a spark plugs if I thought it would help so I figured out how to get to the alternator and while I was at it if drill out those two rivets and remove that deflector. I didn't blow out any pins. Proofs in the pudding.....the trans over temp warning, along with the jet engine fan coming on and trans slipping, has stopped. Here in AZ that warning would come on frequently and drive me nuts. Now my Jeep runs great! A/C full blast and zero issues. I'm not an engineer so I have no clue why that would work.

·
Administrator
15,527 Posts
@Prescott That's very interesting. How long ago did you do this? Just wondering if it was coincidence or an actual fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't know if I posted this here or not.... I have a 2006 commander limited and have had the intermittent gremlin 'trans over temp' warning for a few years. I've tried to research it best I could. Many people just said forget it and put in a manual temp gauge so they could be sure of the trans temp. I recently looked all over Google on how to replace my alternator but it seems to be a big secret. I came across this guy who was changing his alternator too on his Jeep and he mentioned the trans over temp gremlin. Ok, what he did was removed the end of the airbox tube that goes towards the grill...the end piece looks like a deflector. He blew out the pins too. The trans warning hasn't happened since. Well, I'd piss on a spark plugs if I thought it would help so I figured out how to get to the alternator and while I was at it if drill out those two rivets and remove that deflector. I didn't blow out any pins. Proofs in the pudding.....the trans over temp warning, along with the jet engine fan coming on and trans slipping, has stopped. Here in AZ that warning would come on frequently and drive me nuts. Now my Jeep runs great! A/C full blast and zero issues. I'm not an engineer so I have no clue why that would work.
UPDATE:
A week after I replaced the alternator I put the deflector back on. Within a couple days the trans over temp came on twice that day so I removed the deflector again. It's been 3 days with no trans over temp warning. If it comes on with the deflector off I'll post an update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lol.....I don't know. Wondering why that deflector piece is positioned so that it's taking in hot air from the trans cooler/radiator.
Wouldn't every model designed like this do it shortly after it was driven off of the car lot? If it was a design issue, it wouldn't wait to start having this problem. Ever think of checking your thermostat and see if the lower line isn't allowing coolant to flow? A high temp engine can sometimes trigger a high temp transmission fault.

·
Administrator
6,843 Posts
Wouldn't every model designed like this do it shortly after it was driven off of the car lot? If it was a design issue, it wouldn't wait to start having this problem. Ever think of checking your thermostat and see if the lower line isn't allowing coolant to flow? A high temp engine can sometimes trigger a high temp transmission fault.
@KTH;

Welcome to the forum;

Your first post should have been an introduction to the forum in the New member Section here;

Please read the New Member Required Reading below & complete your user profile as directed, in order to comply with the forum rules;

Thanks & welcome aboard.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts