Jeep Commander Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Jeep commander 5.7L V8 hemi 4x4
3 Posts
my name Brian. I just joined the forum today. I have a 2006 Jeep commander 5.7L V8 hemi

This is my second commander, I sold my 4.7L v8 commander sometime last year and now I have the 5.7L V8. I drive cars literally everyday but have no clue about trouble shooting any car problems and I’m broke. Currently having the “transmission over temp” problem with mines. When the warning pops up, a fan kicks in but the temp gauge doesn’t creep Up at all. Without the warning on, the trans shifts great but when the fan kicks in it shifts a little weird but it still shifts. I read in another post that somebody changed the ecu and the problem went away. Did anyone else try this? Like I said I’m broke so if I pay for this computer and labor, I’m down bad for a week lol.

·
Registered
2006 Jeep commander 5.7L V8 hemi 4x4
3 Posts
Please give update when you do so. I just got my oil changed and they guy showed me I had a Real slow leak on the trans gasket cover? Would that make the error pop up?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not really unless your trans fluid is low. When was the trans last serviced, that you know of? Relatively easy to DIY but make sure you use Mopar filters and fluid

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Just to keep the thread going...
2006 Limited. 160000. 4.7 4WD.
Started on Wednesday (the day i had the oil changed, always synthetic). Took it right back, but it had reset. Mechanic (who owns a 2007 Commander v6) found nothing wrong. Fluid level, color & temp was great. As a side note,i had also had the A/C charged and serviced as well.
Nothing the next day. Has done it and reset within 20-30 seconds today.
Not sure where to start...
Informative thread though. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
576 Posts
probably PCM related.. seems to be the fix for a number of those problems

·
Registered
228 Posts
On 5.7 hemi commanders if the oil pressure sensor faults it will cause a transmission over-temperature error code. The pressure sensor when it fails causes a low voltage condition on the circuit that the ecu is using to monitor the sensors.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
I agree 100%;

Often, transmission over-temp warnings are related to a faulty, or, malfunctioning PCM;

This is particularly true, for Commanders that have the 4.7L or 5.7L V-8's, which have the Transmission Control Module integrated into the PCM.

The Transmission Control Module is a separate component, on XK's with the 3.7L V-6.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
244 Posts
I agree 100%;

A lot of transmission over-temp warnings are related to a faulty, or, malfunctioning PCM;

This is particularly true, for Commanders that have the 4.7L or 5.7L V-8's, which have the Transmission Control Module integrated into the PCM.

The Transmission Control Module is a separate component, on XK's with the 3.7L V-6.

Would it cause any issues to unplug the PCM??

Just figured it might be worth removing the connections from the PCM and cleaning them?? Make sure there's no corrosion on them and / or spray the contacts up with contact cleaner.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Would it cause any issues to unplug the PCM??

Just figured it might be worth removing the connections from the PCM and cleaning them?? Make sure there's no corrosion on them and / or spray the contacts up with contact cleaner.
No it wouldn't;

Some people do exactly that, clean the connectors and then put some dielectric grease on them; Reconnect them and in some cases, that resolves their issues;

Other guys do hard reset of the PCM by completely disconnecting the battery for at least 30 minutes and in some cases, this also works;

Then there are people who have found damaged wiring harnesses with frayed and/or exposed wires going to their PCMs, repaired the wiring harness and that solved their issues.

I wouldn't buy a refurbished PCM, until you've exhausted all of these other potential fixes first;

·
Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
244 Posts
No it wouldn't;

Some people do exactly that, clean the connectors and then put some dielectric grease on them; Reconnect them and in some cases, that resolves their issues;
I've been doing that with every electrical connection I work on on the Commander. I've got it opened up / apart to replace that part anyways, might as well clean the contacts up and put on some dielectric grease for extra protection / piece of mind!!

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
I've been doing that with every electrical connection I work on on the Commander. I've got it opened up / apart to replace that part anyways, might as well clean the contacts up and put on some dielectric grease for extra protection / piece of mind!!
That's a recipe for success in my book.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts