Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I apologize if this post being created new is incorrect, but my research (some as a member and some prior) has not yielded anything helpful, and my situation seems somewhat different than some posts regarding this message. Also incredibly sorry for the length; this is a 3 month ongoing issue that even Star can't seem to resolve as of yet. We have a 2006 Limited Edition Commander 4x4 5.7L Hemi

We went on vacation in July of this year, driving from Texas to Georgia. The only issue we were having was the message center telling us there was an issue with the Service Park Assist deal because we had one of those shelf deals on the back for our cooler (empty) and a double stroller, and it was reading it when in reverse. Absolutely nothing the vehicle shouldn't have been able to handle. However, our first night there on our way to our hotel from my parents' the "transmission over temp" message displayed. Mini panic mode, but the car didn't seem to drive any different to me so we went on to the hotel and made plans to seek help from Jeep in town the next morninh. Took it in, they recommended a trans flush (which, we were unaware of if/when the prior owner had done one) so we did. In addition, we were told there were "fingernail polish glitter" size metal bits in the pan and that our trans was in the beginning stages of going out, and that they wouldn't be able to change it because a tranny would be a week and a half out and we were heading back to TX much sooner than that. $450 later we were on our way out being told we shouldn't see said message again for 10-15k miles. That was Friday. Come Sunday it appeared again. Took it back to them Monday and they said it was either some valve sensor or the PCM, he called Chrysler and they said to change PCM, but again a week out and we were leaving before. He said we "should" be okay to get home and I told them I'd relay the info to the dealership back home. The message appeared and disappeared varying time limits and frames on the way home.

I scheduled an appointment when we got back, as they schedule a couple of weeks out apparently, and when I took it in two weeks later for the appointment he was unable to pull a stored code and informed me after so many restarts of the vehicle the computer can reset the codes. This visit was the start of many (8+) since the first of August to this dealership. I have had to drive the car to them after every repair, same day, so he could pull the code since he twice made me schedule appointments only to be told the code was not there. Two other occasions (no repair work done on these) I was told it was reading a code for wrong engine oil and something related to the battery. We took them oil so everyone was on the same page that the "right" oil was in it, and the day of the battery issue it tested fine. It got a new battery just over a year ago. When they were (finally, after AT LEAST 4 visits) satisfied with making a diagnosis, they changed the solenoid pack, I believe it's called. Within a week I received the message again. Enter another "scheduled appointment" and yet another "computer-deleted code" and a couple more visits later we have a new PCM. The VERY DAY I pick her up from the PCM replacement guess what!? The message comes back, yet again. While I am now ready to drive this thing straight off a cliff, my experience tells me that I should just pick up my daughter from school (as I was waiting in line when it happened) and go straight back to the dealership so they can go ahead and "pull the code." So I do, and he says he will email Chrysler (who made the PCM call as the dealership is no longer calling the shots) and see what they want to do next. That was a Wednesday, and I called that Friday for an update. Left message. No call back from them. The next week I decide to get Jeep CS involved because quite frankly I'm fed up. Customer service is not up to par, for one, and for two I am ready to blow over the lack of resolve and almost double digit amount of visits in a two month period to this shop. Two weeks goes by; Jeep CS is making their own efforts to find out what's going on, but turns out to be zero help to me either. I finally call them back and low and behold we need to bring it in so they can "check the fluids" and get back with Chrysler. Wait a minute? You mean this entire 2 weeks I've been waiting on you to get SAID RESPONSE nothing has been happening? Yep, that would be a correct assumption. Dropped it off this past Monday, got a call Thursday (after giving permission earlier in the week for the mech to drive it home if he needed to as it seemed they were trying to duplicate the issue) saying they were now replacing the torque converter, it would be in Fri morning and they would change it out hopefully that day. Mind you, even with the extended warranty, in ALL THIS TIME I have been given a loaner or rental of any kind ONE TIME even though all was covered, and have made countless calls to Mopar trying to figure out how all this works still getting varied and non-helpful answers. Anyway, got in touch Friday afternoon, he said he'd almost finished getting everything back together but would have to drive it. He was going to double check with him on status and let me know. He called back a bit later to say the mech drove it and when he pulled it back up at the shop the message and fan came on again. We are back at square one. I have picked up the car as I really need it even with a 3rd vehicle, and he said he is going to get back with Star Monday and the case will remain open. He has also assured me that this time they will get an answer from Star and order the part and I will be put in a loaner once I drop her off. That has been another of my issues because being a mother of 3 children, one being 8 months old, it's a HUGE inconvenience to have to drag everyone and depend on scheduling around my husband's job for drop off and pick up during repairs.

One of my biggest things is Mopar's extended warranty and the "First day rental" which is apparently only any good if the dealership can diagnose the vehicle within 24 hours; which this one seems to absolutely refuse. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but the only dealership that has put me in a rental all this time (aside from my one this recent time that I previously referred to) was GA, which was even during a tranny flush and not even warranty related. It appears they can pick and choose as they please? Talk about a mess. This only adds to my frustrations.

I would like to add that every time the "transmission over temp" message appears that really loud fan comes on under the hood, which they told me in GA was it doing its job. When you are accelerating (say right after the fan comes on) the car whines and sounds as though it's struggling to tow something really heavy, and as though it doesn't shift properly. Maybe like it's still in 1st but needing to be in 3rd?? I have had no starting issues with it since this "trans temp" issue started. At the end of last school year there were 2 mornings I went to get in it and take my daughter to school and it wouldn't start, but I just turned the key back and then it started fine. It had been (in the in between times of these issues-the 2 starting issues in spring and this transmission overheat message) having some irregular starting lags, but I just ignored it and it doesn't do that all the time. Just sometimes sounded like it didn't want to catch and crank all the way over. Sorry, bad description. The one other weird thing it does is sometimes, (at least one-four times a month), the windshield wipers will come on randomly when I start it. It has the rain sense, which I leave on all the time, but there's not any rain on the window when this happens? At first I thought it was a glitch, but after about 5 times of that I realized otherwise. I sometimes think there's an electrical issue. But if so, will they ever be able to pinpoint it? The service advisor has talked as though the "engineers" at Chrysler sometimes sound like idiots in their email responses, and that they are basically trying everything to fix it without replacing the transmission (well, duh). He also seems very discouraged as he said his mechanic does as well. Great! Imagine how I feel. The sunroof has also had some leakage issues. I have determined, since buying the vehicle, that the "smell" it had when I bought it (like it'd been run through a swamp; shame on me for not paying better attention to this!!!!) was a result of apparently multiple leaking issues and the prior owner not allowing it to dry/air properly. Great, so is there a chance there really is some electrical damage? My research across the web (including here) has resulted in a ton of sunroof leaking issues and some potentially having resulted in electrical problems. Since realizing that problem we've determined we have to pull back the carpet and run the air compressor through the top about every 6 weeks to resolve the issue. Ridiculous, and something I think no consumer ever should be responsible for. But, at the end of the day, I do feel as though this is a false reading as sometimes (very few, but enough to recall) it does come on literally RIGHT after I start it and haven't even shifted gears because my kids aren't even all buckled in, lol. I mean, how is that even possible if the car hasn't even warmed up? I'm at a loss here!! And can't believe that between the dealership and their "email communications" to Chrysler we are still not fixed!!! Is there ANYONE out there who had this problem and had successful repairs done? Sounds like the service advisor is leaning towards another PCM come this week, but that is of course 100% on Chrysler's final decision. :|

·
Registered
2 Posts
I apologize if this post being created new is incorrect, but my research (some as a member and some prior) has not yielded anything helpful, and my situation seems somewhat different than some posts regarding this message. Also incredibly sorry for the length; this is a 3 month ongoing issue that even Star can't seem to resolve as of yet. We have a 2006 Limited Edition Commander 4x4 5.7L Hemi

We went on vacation in July of this year, driving from Texas to Georgia. The only issue we were having was the message center telling us there was an issue with the Service Park Assist deal because we had one of those shelf deals on the back for our cooler (empty) and a double stroller, and it was reading it when in reverse. Absolutely nothing the vehicle shouldn't have been able to handle. However, our first night there on our way to our hotel from my parents' the "transmission over temp" message displayed. Mini panic mode, but the car didn't seem to drive any different to me so we went on to the hotel and made plans to seek help from Jeep in town the next morninh. Took it in, they recommended a trans flush (which, we were unaware of if/when the prior owner had done one) so we did. In addition, we were told there were "fingernail polish glitter" size metal bits in the pan and that our trans was in the beginning stages of going out, and that they wouldn't be able to change it because a tranny would be a week and a half out and we were heading back to TX much sooner than that. $450 later we were on our way out being told we shouldn't see said message again for 10-15k miles. That was Friday. Come Sunday it appeared again. Took it back to them Monday and they said it was either some valve sensor or the PCM, he called Chrysler and they said to change PCM, but again a week out and we were leaving before. He said we "should" be okay to get home and I told them I'd relay the info to the dealership back home. The message appeared and disappeared varying time limits and frames on the way home.

I scheduled an appointment when we got back, as they schedule a couple of weeks out apparently, and when I took it in two weeks later for the appointment he was unable to pull a stored code and informed me after so many restarts of the vehicle the computer can reset the codes. This visit was the start of many (8+) since the first of August to this dealership. I have had to drive the car to them after every repair, same day, so he could pull the code since he twice made me schedule appointments only to be told the code was not there. Two other occasions (no repair work done on these) I was told it was reading a code for wrong engine oil and something related to the battery. We took them oil so everyone was on the same page that the "right" oil was in it, and the day of the battery issue it tested fine. It got a new battery just over a year ago. When they were (finally, after AT LEAST 4 visits) satisfied with making a diagnosis, they changed the solenoid pack, I believe it's called. Within a week I received the message again. Enter another "scheduled appointment" and yet another "computer-deleted code" and a couple more visits later we have a new PCM. The VERY DAY I pick her up from the PCM replacement guess what!? The message comes back, yet again. While I am now ready to drive this thing straight off a cliff, my experience tells me that I should just pick up my daughter from school (as I was waiting in line when it happened) and go straight back to the dealership so they can go ahead and "pull the code." So I do, and he says he will email Chrysler (who made the PCM call as the dealership is no longer calling the shots) and see what they want to do next. That was a Wednesday, and I called that Friday for an update. Left message. No call back from them. The next week I decide to get Jeep CS involved because quite frankly I'm fed up. Customer service is not up to par, for one, and for two I am ready to blow over the lack of resolve and almost double digit amount of visits in a two month period to this shop. Two weeks goes by; Jeep CS is making their own efforts to find out what's going on, but turns out to be zero help to me either. I finally call them back and low and behold we need to bring it in so they can "check the fluids" and get back with Chrysler. Wait a minute? You mean this entire 2 weeks I've been waiting on you to get SAID RESPONSE nothing has been happening? Yep, that would be a correct assumption. Dropped it off this past Monday, got a call Thursday (after giving permission earlier in the week for the mech to drive it home if he needed to as it seemed they were trying to duplicate the issue) saying they were now replacing the torque converter, it would be in Fri morning and they would change it out hopefully that day. Mind you, even with the extended warranty, in ALL THIS TIME I have been given a loaner or rental of any kind ONE TIME even though all was covered, and have made countless calls to Mopar trying to figure out how all this works still getting varied and non-helpful answers. Anyway, got in touch Friday afternoon, he said he'd almost finished getting everything back together but would have to drive it. He was going to double check with him on status and let me know. He called back a bit later to say the mech drove it and when he pulled it back up at the shop the message and fan came on again. We are back at square one. I have picked up the car as I really need it even with a 3rd vehicle, and he said he is going to get back with Star Monday and the case will remain open. He has also assured me that this time they will get an answer from Star and order the part and I will be put in a loaner once I drop her off. That has been another of my issues because being a mother of 3 children, one being 8 months old, it's a HUGE inconvenience to have to drag everyone and depend on scheduling around my husband's job for drop off and pick up during repairs.

One of my biggest things is Mopar's extended warranty and the "First day rental" which is apparently only any good if the dealership can diagnose the vehicle within 24 hours; which this one seems to absolutely refuse. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but the only dealership that has put me in a rental all this time (aside from my one this recent time that I previously referred to) was GA, which was even during a tranny flush and not even warranty related. It appears they can pick and choose as they please? Talk about a mess. This only adds to my frustrations.

I would like to add that every time the "transmission over temp" message appears that really loud fan comes on under the hood, which they told me in GA was it doing its job. When you are accelerating (say right after the fan comes on) the car whines and sounds as though it's struggling to tow something really heavy, and as though it doesn't shift properly. Maybe like it's still in 1st but needing to be in 3rd?? I have had no starting issues with it since this "trans temp" issue started. At the end of last school year there were 2 mornings I went to get in it and take my daughter to school and it wouldn't start, but I just turned the key back and then it started fine. It had been (in the in between times of these issues-the 2 starting issues in spring and this transmission overheat message) having some irregular starting lags, but I just ignored it and it doesn't do that all the time. Just sometimes sounded like it didn't want to catch and crank all the way over. Sorry, bad description. The one other weird thing it does is sometimes, (at least one-four times a month), the windshield wipers will come on randomly when I start it. It has the rain sense, which I leave on all the time, but there's not any rain on the window when this happens? At first I thought it was a glitch, but after about 5 times of that I realized otherwise. I sometimes think there's an electrical issue. But if so, will they ever be able to pinpoint it? The service advisor has talked as though the "engineers" at Chrysler sometimes sound like idiots in their email responses, and that they are basically trying everything to fix it without replacing the transmission (well, duh). He also seems very discouraged as he said his mechanic does as well. Great! Imagine how I feel. The sunroof has also had some leakage issues. I have determined, since buying the vehicle, that the "smell" it had when I bought it (like it'd been run through a swamp; shame on me for not paying better attention to this!!!!) was a result of apparently multiple leaking issues and the prior owner not allowing it to dry/air properly. Great, so is there a chance there really is some electrical damage? My research across the web (including here) has resulted in a ton of sunroof leaking issues and some potentially having resulted in electrical problems. Since realizing that problem we've determined we have to pull back the carpet and run the air compressor through the top about every 6 weeks to resolve the issue. Ridiculous, and something I think no consumer ever should be responsible for. But, at the end of the day, I do feel as though this is a false reading as sometimes (very few, but enough to recall) it does come on literally RIGHT after I start it and haven't even shifted gears because my kids aren't even all buckled in, lol. I mean, how is that even possible if the car hasn't even warmed up? I'm at a loss here!! And can't believe that between the dealership and their "email communications" to Chrysler we are still not fixed!!! Is there ANYONE out there who had this problem and had successful repairs done? Sounds like the service advisor is leaning towards another PCM come this week, but that is of course 100% on Chrysler's final decision. :|
I have a 2006 Jeep Commander & am also having the Transmission over temp message. When it happens the transmission disengages and the fan comes on very loud. The motor sounds horrible too. I took it to a transmission shop. The code showing the transmission sensor came up & they told me about the transmission mount was broken. I am disabled with low income, & do not have an extended 0 the money for all of these repairs. So if someone knows how to resolve this issue, please share. Thank you.

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 142k miles
171 Posts
Hi, sorry i havent the attention span anymore to read all that. I have the same model as you... mine did the same same thing around 95000 miles... after researching, i found a rebuilt ecu on the internet for 200$ and swapped my old one (4 screws and 4 plug-ins). Problem solved. Im now at 142k miles.
Hope this helps! And good luck!!

Reactions: Stircrayzy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I couldn't read all of that either. So you replaced the PCM? I have way more than 100 k, closer to 150 k miles. I also had the horrible electrical issue that a lot of people commented on online. It has been a while, but have had all of the power on the dash/instrument panel shut off while driving.

For the current issue with the Transmission over temp, the auto shop replaced the transmission temperature sensor but on my way home the Transmission over temp message appeared again, the transmission sounded horrible and felt like it had been thrown into neutral and the fan kicked on very loud. What to do now?

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 142k miles
171 Posts
I initially took it to a dealership that wanted to update every program on the old ecm for around 1600$. I wasn't having any of that! And if i had, i would still have the same problem and be out 1600$. So i replaced it for 200$ w/ all the updates from a rebuilder in Miami. Problem solved 100%. I admit, i had none of the other issues you're having.

Incidentally, that's the last time I've been to a dealership for repairs (6 yrs ago).

·
Registered
2006 Jeep commander limited 5.7L Hemi
14 Posts
I just went through all of that! Was ready to drive it right through Chrysler headquarters front door! Look up "love hate relationship" on this sight. I ended up getting a new pcm then a new fdcm and after 2 very very bad dealership experiences and almost getting ride of it I went to a different dealership. They also tried to sell me everything under the hood (which all were just fine) then said they couldn't figure out what the problem was after having the car over a week. I had to force them to reprogram the fdcm again. Well all my warning lights gone ( transmission over temp and service 4wd). And she is running better than ever. The reprogramming is part of the recall and sometimes takes 2 or 3 times to take. It also can cause other parts to be damaged since the computer isn't working correctly. Dealership still says it didn't change anything but I bet them the price I paid for the car and the thousands dumped into it times 2 that it took. Reprogrammed again and running great! Knock on wood it stays this way! Can't say this would fix everything since you have a few other issues I didn't have but I would look into it. Like I said you have to fight with them to reprogram the fdcm but fight them on it! I was very close to your situation and I'm far from dumb when it comes to cars and turning wrenches! Everything points to the computers in these jeeps issues!

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
I just went through all of that! Was ready to drive it right through Chrysler headquarters front door! Look up "love hate relationship" on this sight. I ended up getting a new pcm then a new fdcm and after 2 very very bad dealership experiences and almost getting ride of it I went to a different dealership. They also tried to sell me everything under the hood (which all were just fine) then said they couldn't figure out what the problem was after having the car over a week. I had to force them to reprogram the fdcm again. Well all my warning lights gone ( transmission over temp and service 4wd). And she is running better than ever. The reprogramming is part of the recall and sometimes takes 2 or 3 times to take. It also can cause other parts to be damaged since the computer isn't working correctly. Dealership still says it didn't change anything but I bet them the price I paid for the car and the thousands dumped into it times 2 that it took. Reprogrammed again and running great! Knock on wood it stays this way! Can't say this would fix everything since you have a few other issues I didn't have but I would look into it. Like I said you have to fight with them to reprogram the fdcm but fight them on it! I was very close to your situation and I'm far from dumb when it comes to cars and turning wrenches! Everything points to the computers in these jeeps issues!
There is a place - I've posted the link on the forum a few times before, that sells new ECU's/PCM's for around $300.00

I'll do a little digging & see if I can post it again here.

I've had my Commander since 2014 (almost 8 years now) and it just went over 104,000 miles.

I've never had any computer/PCM related problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts