Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

My '07 Commander 4.7L has decided to bless me with yet another issue (a bit of context: A few months ago the water pump seized while my wife was driving it down the highway, it overheated and bent a valve and threw a valve seat. Put 2 new heads on it, things were perfect for about a week then started burning oil). Now, it seems as if the transmission is starting to "slip". I use the term "slip" loosely here as it is not slipping into another gear or anything like that. It only seems to happen while in drive at low RPM (around 1000-1500) if you're light on the throttle. You'll feel a slight knocking or bumping coming from the transmission and it feels like there's a loss of power. If you give it more throttle, it will downshift and all is well again. It's almost as if it isn't downshifting when it should be and staying in a higher gear. I haven't noticed the issue while manually shifting, but by doing so I'm ensuring that the RPMs are remaining higher than the 1000-1500 range.

I've already replaced the TPS sensor last year to fix some sporadic shifting on longer trips. I haven't tried anything else though. It's not putting out any codes and there aren't any lights illuminated on the dash.

I'm reluctant to think that it is actually the transmission going bad and not some type of sensor (speed sensor, perhaps?) or module instead, but I've been known to be wrong once in a while! I've done some searching here on the forum and haven't really found reports of anything similar. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
-jerry

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'll assume that you've properly checked the fluid level with the engine running and the transmission at operating temp, and everything was good. If that's the case, kind of sounds like the torque converter may be going out. I do most of my own work, but at least for me, transmissions other than maybe a clutch replacement are "they do" jobs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll assume that you've properly checked the fluid level with the engine running and the transmission at operating temp, and everything was good. If that's the case, kind of sounds like the torque converter may be going out. I do most of my own work, but at least for me, transmissions other than maybe a clutch replacement are "they do" jobs.

The torque converter never crossed my mind. Based on the descriptions of others' torque converter troubles, it seems it could be a likely suspect. And yes, it will def be a "they do" job. Thank you for the reply!

jerry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update?

The torque converter never crossed my mind. Based on the descriptions of others' torque converter troubles, it seems it could be a likely suspect. And yes, it will def be a "they do" job. Thank you for the reply!

jerry
Is the torque converter what ended up being the problem benzie? I have the same issue happening with my 2010, and I too haven't been able to find anyone (until you) with the same description as what I have going on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello! I have a Jeep Commander 2007. I have had my share of expenses over the last few years. I have replaced the coils, spark plugs, wiring harness, transmission and shocks and struts. My jeep stalls on me during driving about once a week. Does not matter how fast i am travelling, the road conditions or the weather. The engine stalls, i drop it into neutral, turn the ignition off with the key and then turn it back on, once the engine is back on i switch it to drive and keep going. The latest problem that really started to catch my opinion today is that the transmission seems to be slipping, especially when I make a right turn. During the acceleration the RPMs go up and then I feel the"pop" as the gear catches and then the jeep moves. I checked the transmission fluid and the level is full and the fluid is nice red, not brick colored. I hate to have to spend more money on the jeep. In the last 3 years I've already put in about $8k into my jeep with all the work that has been done. What do you all think?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello! I have a Jeep Commander 2007. I have had my share of expenses over the last few years. I have replaced the coils, spark plugs, wiring harness, transmission and shocks and struts. My jeep stalls on me during driving about once a week. Does not matter how fast i am travelling, the road conditions or the weather. The engine stalls, i drop it into neutral, turn the ignition off with the key and then turn it back on, once the engine is back on i switch it to drive and keep going. The latest problem that really started to catch my opinion today is that the transmission seems to be slipping, especially when I make a right turn. During the acceleration the RPMs go up and then I feel the"pop" as the gear catches and then the jeep moves. I checked the transmission fluid and the level is full and the fluid is nice red, not brick colored. I hate to have to spend more money on the jeep. In the last 3 years I've already put in about $8k into my jeep with all the work that has been done. What do you all think?
With it seeming to be correlated to going around a corner, I would suspect the transfer case slipping. May just need new fluid. if it's a two speed transfer case (4Lo T handel on the console) make sure to get the NV245 fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With it seeming to be correlated to going around a corner, I would suspect the transfer case slipping. May just need new fluid. if it's a two speed transfer case (4Lo T handel on the console) make sure to get the NV245 fluid.
Thank you. I will look into that as well. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts