Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man aren't these the fun ones to ask and describe?

Well to try to sum it up as easily as possible, I have noticed in the past few months whenever I intially crank up my jeep and put it in reverse occasionally I will have to give it some extra gas to start moving back...I mean reving it up extra. This happens about 3 out of 10 times when I first start up.

Just to make sure I was not crazy and just my head thinking it was taking more, one morning I put it in R and the jeep did not move an inch. I then put it back into park then back to R and it started moving back without pushing on the gas.

Well anyone else notice any kind of problem like this? Is it worth taking to the mechanic due to worrying about future problems? Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Well, A few thoughts.
I know, you probably already did, but check the trans fluid level on flat ground at initial startup.
The most accurate method is to shift through all gear positions at startup, wait about 60 seconds and then check the level.
To get the most accurate reading, pull the dipstick BEFORE starting the engine and running through the gears.
Then check the level.
This removes the potential of fluid splash within the trans causing a false read.
Remember, the fluid will read at the full cold mark on the grid. Adding to full when cold will result in overfill once fluid is warm. Trans fluid has a HUGE expansion rate as it heats.
If the level is correct, then the torque converter is likely draining down overnight.
If, by leaving it in reverse, the gear engages within 5 seconds, you are seeing the converter refill itself before it can pressure up the trans.
This anomoly will happen to most vehicles if allowed to sit unused for a few days.
If the gear engages within 5 seconds, and the trans is full, it likely is the nature of the beast and will cause no harm.
If you must throttle it, with the fluid level correct, to get engagement, the pump circuit has a leak and likely will fail.
Good luck!

Rob

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have also been having this problem recently in my 06-4.7. I would also say 3/10 times when I back out of the garage. MaroonWhite were you ever able to correct this issue? Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
It could be the tires have frozen to the ground. I had this happen on other vehicles before. It takes extra torque to break the ice imbedded in the tread loose from the ground.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think this tends to be in very cold weather with these vehicles. It seems to take a short period of time for the fluid to get flowing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think it is just normal AT engage. They just don't hook up instant, even when they are warm. I have to remind my wife to give it time to drop in before she hammers on it. Otherwise you get clutch slip.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hopefully, that's it. I noticed it in the past and just gave it time to engage and it was fine. The wife's been driving in for the last couple months and complained about it recently so I started driving it again to see how bad it actually was. This morning, I put it in reverse and it took a couple seconds before I could feel it engage. I pulled back out of the garage and stopped to close the garage door and when I released the break there was no more idle/basically was out of gear. After about 5 seconds I felt it engage again..kind of hard this time.. and I finished backing out. I have an appointment on Monday for the 30K tune-up so I was hoping this was a semi-common problem that was easily fixed. Of course, when I have it in there it won't do it for the dealer. Seems to only do it in the morning after sitting all night. Thanks All.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hopefully, that's it. I noticed it in the past and just gave it time to engage and it was fine. The wife's been driving in for the last couple months and complained about it recently so I started driving it again to see how bad it actually was. This morning, I put it in reverse and it took a couple seconds before I could feel it engage. I pulled back out of the garage and stopped to close the garage door and when I released the break there was no more idle/basically was out of gear. After about 5 seconds I felt it engage again..kind of hard this time.. and I finished backing out. I have an appointment on Monday for the 30K tune-up so I was hoping this was a semi-common problem that was easily fixed. Of course, when I have it in there it won't do it for the dealer. Seems to only do it in the morning after sitting all night. Thanks All.
I think you may have more than just slow engage problem. Sound like there may be a loose filter or something that is allowing air in the intake. I would have it cked for sure.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I didn't know that there was a TSB for this. I'm going to have to check on it. Thanks for posting!!!

·
Administrator
15,209 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just got the Commander back from the shop. They did identify and fix the transmission problem (TSB 21-007-06). Essentially, I got a free Transmission Service with the TSB which I was thinking about having done since I had it in for the 30K tune-up (Front and Rear Diffs, Transfer Case, Oil Change). I'll keep everyone posted if this has fixed the problem. Thanks Don Miller Jeep Madison, great service as always.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I will for sure be pointing this out on Monday. I did a little investigation and it looks like a common problem for the 06's:

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2101605.pdf
http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2101505.pdf
http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2100706.pdf
=

Ok. I had my transmission serviced at the dealer and they replaced the filter. I see in the service bulletin where there was a faulty filter causing problems--part # 04799662AB. ok, fine. Check this out. I pulled my paperwork from the service and the filter part # they used was 5013470AC. Ok, fine again. But check out what I found below: My part # is side by side with the faulty part# with the wrod "RETURN" written next to them. Does that mean my filter is bad too, or that my part# is the "good" replacement part number? I ask b/c I notice my tranny takes a second or two sometimes to get into gear. See the chart I was referring to below: You have to scroll down for the xk

ALSO---that is not the only part # they used for the tranny service. They had these three:
5013470ac, 5179267ac, and 68026608aa. My question is aren't TWO of these tranny filters and ONE is the part number for the oil? Why are there TWO tranny filter part numbers for my service??? And again, why is the word "return" written next to one of them in that chart? A copy of my service paperwork is shown below, then, like I said, is that pdf with the faulty part number RIGHT NEXT TO THE ONE THEY USED ON MY TRUCK with the word "return" next to it.

http://starparts.chrysler.com/starlibrary/marketing/filters/filters.pdf

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
=

Ok. I had my transmission serviced at the dealer and they replaced the filter. I see in the service bulletin where there was a faulty filter causing problems--part # 04799662AB. ok, fine. Check this out. I pulled my paperwork from the service and the filter part # they used was 5013470AC. Ok, fine again. But check out what I found below: My part # is side by side with the faulty part# with the wrod "RETURN" written next to them. Does that mean my filter is bad too, or that my part# is the "good" replacement part number? I ask b/c I notice my tranny takes a second or two sometimes to get into gear. See the chart I was referring to below: You have to scroll down for the xk

ALSO---that is not the only part # they used for the tranny service. They had these three:
5013470ac, 5179267ac, and 68026608aa. My question is aren't TWO of these tranny filters and ONE is the part number for the oil? Why are there TWO tranny filter part numbers for my service??? And again, why is the word "return" written next to one of them in that chart? A copy of my service paperwork is shown below, then, like I said, is that pdf with the faulty part number RIGHT NEXT TO THE ONE THEY USED ON MY TRUCK with the word "return" next to it.
Dont quote me on this but it looks like your transmission takes two different filters and I dont think where it says "RETURN" is anything bad. Im sure jeep5253 can chime in and explain this one.

When I start my Commander I have to wait a few seconds for the engine idle to drop down or else when I shift into reverse or drive I get the problems listed in this thread. It just sounds to me like the pressure needs to be built up in the lines and what not before you can put it in gear.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Dont quote me on this but it looks like your transmission takes two different filters and I dont think where it says "RETURN" is anything bad. Im sure jeep5253 can chime in and explain this one.

When I start my Commander I have to wait a few seconds for the engine idle to drop down or else when I shift into reverse or drive I get the problems listed in this thread. It just sounds to me like the pressure needs to be built up in the lines and what not before you can put it in gear.
Thanks I'm a little relieved now. ALthough it was explained in this thread earlier--I am mechanially retarded:ugh2: so--- in retard terms, could you splain how to accurately check the tranny fluid? THAT may be all of my problem right there if it is low a little. Thanks in adv.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thanks I'm a little relieved now. ALthough it was explained in this thread earlier--I am mechanially retarded:ugh2: so--- in retard terms, could you splain how to accurately check the tranny fluid? THAT may be all of my problem right there if it is low a little. Thanks in adv.
robby explains the best way to check the transmission fluid in the second post of this thread. Basically just make sure your on level ground and pull out the dipstick so splashing fluid doesnt give you a false reading. Start up the vehicle and while putting your foot on the brakes, shift slowly though all the gears. Wait about 60 seconds after that and then check the fluid with the vehicle running.

Just pay attention to what robby said about the cold mark on the dip stick!

·
Registered
602 Posts
robby explains the best way to check the transmission fluid in the second post of this thread. Basically just make sure your on level ground and pull out the dipstick so splashing fluid doesnt give you a false reading. Start up the vehicle and while putting your foot on the brakes, shift slowly though all the gears. Wait about 60 seconds after that and then check the fluid with the vehicle running.

Just pay attention to what robby said about the cold mark on the dip stick!
I think I have it now haha

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you start it up and check it in the morning you should go off the COLD mark on the dipstick. If you have been driving around all day and then check it go off the HOT.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts