1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a hemi so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. Mods include OME HD lift, monroe load leveler shocks (the longer f150's), 32" Goodyear ATs and superchips flashpaq.

I recently bought a 21 ft toy hauler, approx 5200 lbs empty. I towed it empty perfectly fine a couple hundred miles. Then I loaded it up for my cross country move and towed it to Phoenix (from LA area of CA) to wait for my wife to get back from deployment and it weighed in at about 7800 lbs which is over the rated weight (7200lbs) for the hemi. I did have to pull over once on a grade because the trans was overheating but now my flashpaq reads trans temp so I can monitor more closely, and I'm having an additional trans cooler installed. I'll also be losing some of the weight since my wife will be driving her minivan and we can offload some of the crap the movers wouldn't take into it..

I won't be starting the cross country move until the end of the month, but I'll try to report back then to give an update on how it's going. I can tell you that from CA to AZ I averaged about 7.5 mpgs, which is in part due to the larger tires. I'm going to experiment more with the flashpaq tunes and I think buy the trans app to see if I can squeeze a few more mpgs for the trip though.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
7.5 mpg?! Ouch!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a hemi so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. Mods include OME HD lift, monroe load leveler shocks (the longer f150's), 32" Goodyear ATs and superchips flashpaq.

I recently bought a 21 ft toy hauler, approx 5200 lbs empty. I towed it empty perfectly fine a couple hundred miles. Then I loaded it up for my cross country move and towed it to Phoenix (from LA area of CA) to wait for my wife to get back from deployment and it weighed in at about 7800 lbs which is over the rated weight (7200lbs) for the hemi. I did have to pull over once on a grade because the trans was overheating but now my flashpaq reads trans temp so I can monitor more closely, and I'm having an additional trans cooler installed. I'll also be losing some of the weight since my wife will be driving her minivan and we can offload some of the crap the movers wouldn't take into it..

I won't be starting the cross country move until the end of the month, but I'll try to report back then to give an update on how it's going. I can tell you that from CA to AZ I averaged about 7.5 mpgs, which is in part due to the larger tires. I'm going to experiment more with the flashpaq tunes and I think buy the trans app to see if I can squeeze a few more mpgs for the trip though.

Thanks for the quick response hoaxci5. I hope the remainder of your trip goes well. You are towing almost twice what I am planning to so I am sure I will be fine with the 4.7L. I guess my only concern is where the trailer is 23-25 feet long that I may get trailer sway from the wind etc. How did your trailer behave in that regard?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm pretty sure base weight means before a lot of the accessories go into the trailer, like heater/ac, batteries and propane tanks. So that 3800 lbs, might have just turned into 4300 lbs. Then add in water (if you are dry camping) and all your personal belongings and you could be up to 5000 lbs +

I have a weight distributing hitch which I think is required if it's over 3500 lbs. Along with a friction anti-sway device. I had a little sway on the trip, but it was manageable and I also believe it was due to poor loading on my part. It was easy with the toy hauler to load up the back end instead of distributing the weight through the trailer. I'll be addressing this problem before leaving Phoenix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a stock 2006 4.7 and pull a flaggstaff travel trailer weighing about 3000lbs and about 25ft long including tougue. It pulls greats and has never overheated. I have weight distribution and sway control. A brake controller is a must. I get about 10mg going 60 mph. I can go 70mph but I start crying at the mpg. I have also pulled my fathers trailer weighing about 45000lbs. It gets about 6-7 mpg going 60pmg. I doubt you would need any aftermarker mods, but they would not hurt. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I pull a Lance 2180,
http://www.lancecamper.com/2011/travel-trailers/2180/

pretty similar to your trailer. I do have the bigger engine. I have a generic weight distributing hitch, and notice some trailer sway at highway speeds. I think it is just because the Commander has such a short wheelbase. I want to upgrade my hitch to an equalizer or such.

Note: The trailer sway is never severe. I just have very little to compare it to. I either pull 4x8 utility trailers or 40' 5th wheels. Never pulled something similar to what I have now.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I pull a Lance 2180,
http://www.lancecamper.com/2011/travel-trailers/2180/

pretty similar to your trailer. I do have the bigger engine. I have a generic weight distributing hitch, and notice some trailer sway at highway speeds. I think it is just because the Commander has such a short wheelbase. I want to upgrade my hitch to an equalizer or such.

Note: The trailer sway is never severe. I just have very little to compare it to. I either pull 4x8 utility trailers or 40' 5th wheels. Never pulled something similar to what I have now.

What is ur MPG?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have an '07 with the 4.7 V8 that tows my travel trailer, Keystone Passport 285RL. When I tow, weight comes in over 5,000 lbs. It is equipped with an equalizer system and of course electric brake hookup. I have towed up and down the east coast with no problems what so ever. Slight problem over a mountainous route I took once. I had to slow down behind 18 wheelers, which slightly ran my Commander in the hot. Over than that no problems. I think if I knew I was going to tow this weight, I might have gone for the Hemi. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2007 Commander Hemi and tow a 26ft travel trailer. I have no sway issues at all but I will say I'm disappointed with fuel economy and power. I get between 8-9mpg trying to do 65mph. I say trying because the Jeep really doesn't hold speed well. I had a tahoe before this and even with 200k miles on it i got 11-13mpg and held 65-70 no problem. I figured with a jeeps bigger motor and more horse power/ torque I'd be doing better but sadly I'm not. Now I do use tow/haul mode but I always leave it in 5th gear setting. With my tahoe I would do the same but would leave it in the D setting in that truck. Should I be running in 4th gear? That would give me higher rpms and probably would make it hold the speed better but would I loose fuel economy?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I have a 2007 Commander Hemi and tow a 26ft travel trailer. I have no sway issues at all but I will say I'm disappointed with fuel economy and power. I get between 8-9mpg trying to do 65mph. I say trying because the Jeep really doesn't hold speed well. I had a tahoe before this and even with 200k miles on it i got 11-13mpg and held 65-70 no problem. I figured with a jeeps bigger motor and more horse power/ torque I'd be doing better but sadly I'm not. Now I do use tow/haul mode but I always leave it in 5th gear setting. With my tahoe I would do the same but would leave it in the D setting in that truck. Should I be running in 4th gear? That would give me higher rpms and probably would make it hold the speed better but would I loose fuel economy?
From the 2007 Owner's Manual:

Towing Tips — Automatic Transmission
The “D” range can be selected when towing. However, if
frequent shifting occurs while in this range, the ”Tow/
Haul” mode (if equipped) or a lower gear range should
be selected.

NOTE: Using the ”Tow/Haul” mode (if equipped) or a
lower gear range while operating the vehicle under
heavy operating conditions will improve performance
and extend transmission life by reducing excessive shifting
and heat build up. This action will also provide better
engine braking.

The automatic transmission fluid and filter should be
changed if you REGULARLY tow a trailer for more than
45 minutes of continuous operation. Refer to “Maintenance
Schedule B” in Section 8 of this manual for
transmission fluid change intervals.

NOTE: Check the automatic transmission fluid level
before towing.

Towing Tips — Electronic Speed Control (If
Equipped)

− Don’t use in hilly terrain or with heavy loads.

− When using the speed control, if you experience speed
drops greater than 10 mph (16 km/h), disengage until
you can get back to cruising speed.

− Use speed control in flat terrain and with light loads to
maximize fuel efficiency.

Towing Tips — Cooling System
To reduce potential for engine and transmission overheating,
take the following actions:

− City Driving
When stopped for short periods of time, put transmission
in neutral and increase engine idle speed.

− Highway Driving
Reduce speed.

− Air Conditioning
Turn off temporarily.

− refer to Cooling System Operating information in the
Maintenance section of this manual for more information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you but I have already read the manual. I was looking to see if there was anyone with some who has actually done it. I don't mind just winging it and trying myself but it would be nice to have some input before just doing it.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I'll be towing a travel trailer that's 32 foot long and weighs 6400 pounds from souther Ohio to Amarillo in two weeks. Has anyone towed something similar? Any tips or advise? Cheers. Jorge

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Made the tow. Trailer turned out to be 6800 pounds plus some miscellaneous kit put the load at 7200, the max allowed. Pics and write-up to follow soon.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I bought a Starcraft Travel Star to live in while on the job in west Texas. I fly an air ambulance and this is the most remote station I've been assigned to. The job provides a trailer to stay in, but it's worn and really not up to snuff for a ten day stretch in reasonable comfort. I owned a big fifth wheel which was in storage in Cincinnati, so it made sense to downsize and use the smaller trailer as my west Texas lodging.

The trailer weight is 6880 lbs and with additionally kit, I was tipping the scale at 7200 lbs. Firstly, as advertised, the HEMI will tow said 7200 lbs and hustle down the road. In Tow/Haul mode, the engine and tranny managed the load well and kept the downshifting to a minimum. Additionally, the computer will slip the tranny into OD when able and will hold the gear until the speed selected on the cruise control slips down by about 5 mph.

I bought a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and coupled that with an Equal-i-zer 4-point anti-sway and load distributing hitch. That kit really helped. The Tekonsha is awesome and modulated the trailer's brakes so well I really couldn't tell the difference when I braked. There was no pushing or dragging. The hitch did a good job shifting the load equally between the front and rear of Large Marge, but needs further tuning to get the weight distributed just right. In heavy cross winds and when overtaken by semis, the anti-sway really helped. That I had a tall,32 foot trailer behind me was evident, but the side-to-side sway was well within reason. At no point did I feel like the tail was wagging the dog.

The mpgs are the biggest downside. I barely averaged 8 mpg over the 1300 mile trip. Makes me cross-eyed just thinking about it. My thoughts are that, yes, you can tow 7200 lbs, but only if you really need to. This Jeep is not the appropriate tow vehicle for this large trailer. I wouldn't plan a tour of the west any time soon.

Anyway, Large Marge, once again, did what I asked of her. She got the trailer to west Texas in one piece. Neither the engine nor tranny gave me any trouble and she's running around none the worse for the wear. I cruised in comfort for 1300 miles with the a/c, cruise control and satnav humming along with my fat posterior swaddled in a comfy leather seat. This is a hell of a vehicle and Jeep really screwed up when they didn't support the model properly.

At Dealer.jpg

Front view.jpg

Hitch.jpg

Rolling.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts