Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my treadwrights in tonight. I'll be having them mounted on an extra set of stock rims (got all four for $50) tomorrow, since I've discovered I have 3 rubicon rims, and one stock rim. Unfortunately they aren't painted black--I didn't have the time to do it before I go out of town.

TreadWright was awesome to deal with. I called them on the phone, and told them what I wanted, and that I would prefer all matching carcasses in BFG if possible. They shipped out same day--that was last friday. 4 days to get to me in utah.

Here are some pics real quick, and I'll have more after they are mounted tomorrow, with thoughts and first impressions driving on them.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yes they are. Hense the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tread pattern on BFGoodrich All Terrain tire.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the answer was pre-emptive for someone asking what tread pattern that was and if it was original to the bfg's. :stickpoke:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have been very happy with my retreads tha I bought back in Feb. You are going to be happy with the tread life. Did you get the tires with the Kedge Grip?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Passed on kedge grip, maybe on the next set. Mostly passed on it due to the 15% faster wear--especially since I don't know how they wear yet on my xk.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guys at the tire shop were mildly confused this morning when I dropped them off. one asked if they were the new bfg's, and several others were scratching their heads over having and old style MTR tread on a bfg A/T tire...

And they all wanted to know where I got the tires re-capped.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
faster wear was on the faq's at treadwright:

Are there any disadvantages to running tires with Kedge Grip?
Answer:
Kedge Grip provides additional traction in slippery conditions. It does this by creating small pits on the tread surface with the walnut shell and adding additional grit to the tread with the crushed glass. With the additional open area on the tread the tire will wear about 15-20% faster than a tire without Kedge Grip.

20% of a 50k tire is 10k, that's a lot of driving and was the only thing that kept me from actually getting them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hmm these retreads have my attn. I was wondering how do the measure true to size I'm looking at the same size but worried about the width since I do not want to run wheel spacers. Do u run them on stock rims without spacers? I just ask because I've read other forums which claim they run skinnier than advertised.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm running them on stock rims, but with 1.5" spidertrax spacers. I'll get a pic tomorrow of the spacing between the knuckle bolt and the tire.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pics, and so far they have a hum on city streets--but I haven't driven more than 3 miles, and no faster than 40mph or so.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Whats gonna keep these retreads from coming apart like the ones you see all over the highway ? Can you run them aired down ? I would never run a retread, just my opinion. Good luck. But, I do work in a bodyshop and would love to repair your quarters when they come apart.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had re-treads before on a different car, and had one come apart on me going down the freeway. Was my fault since I'd noticed it had a bubble on the tread a couple weeks before and just decided to drive on it till it had more issues.

These come with a 2-yr 24k warranty, unless you air them down or sipe them. You can run them aired down, they've been tested in moab actually by other people (go see moab jeeper website). I would never run them aired down anywhere but off road at low speeds, since heat is what usually kills any type of tire.

However since this is my wife's DD I won't be taking it off road to frequently. I also have a nice trip coming up this weekend which I'll get some feedback on long distance performance from these tires. And yes, I have a full size spare just in case.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Pics of the clearence from that bolt in the front would b great I really want to order these but am afraid they will rub. Joel from teadwright said that the tread width is 8 in and the cross section is 10.5. So should theses fit without spacers? I thought i read somewhere that as long as u stay under 10 in wide u shouldnt have much rubbing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Jeep3X I have the 255/70/17 AT patteren and I am not running spacers I do have some rubbing. I have no problem with the bolt. The only rubbing that I have is on the wheel linner and when I trun the wheel to far it rubs on the metal between the tire compartment and the engine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Jeep3X I have the 255/70/17 AT patteren and I am not running spacers I do have some rubbing. I have no problem with the bolt. The only rubbing that I have is on the wheel linner and when I trun the wheel to far it rubs on the metal between the tire compartment and the engine.
Thanks for the reply I belive the 255 and 265 are roughly the same width so i should have minor to no rubbing thanks man u have eased my mind. Now to order my rough country lift and then to get some new tires.:eyemouth::eyemouth:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First impressions are good. They do have a noticeable hum, but just a hum not the angry buzz of the bfg mt's. The hum becomes less noticeable above about 55 mph, but is really noticeable around 30-45. Fewer vibrations than the other tires I was running, especially in the steering wheel.

I'll update after my trip to Wyoming when I've got about 1200 miles on them.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts