Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove from Tampa to Tallahassee today for business, a 282 mile trip one-way. With the cruise set to 70MPH the entire trip (minus stops for food and subsequent relief), I got 17.1 MPG average, and made the trip on one tank of gas that just hit empty (with the warning light just coming on as I arrived at the hotel) and the EVIC claiming another 13 miles to go. I will fill up in the morning and see just how much gas that took. There were lots of minor rises and dips on both I-75 and I-10 which probably limited the amount of time that MDS was in use - supposition on my part.

Hit 1000 miles on this trip - and she's only 2 weeks old!! :eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds about right. I went on a 250 mile trip and got around 17 hwy running about 65 average.
I did get the impression though, that driving around 60 would raise the mileage to about 19.xx

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just got my Commander yesterday and took it on a short trip last night....the evic said I was getting 18.1 on the highway (hemi) and around town 12..I drove approx. 100 miles to get those numbers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My average mileage for 2000 miles is 12.09 mpg and I'm getting 200-230 miles on tank with average fill-up of 18 gallons. (4.7V8). I posted the mileage chart somewhere. Complaints about grossly undersized tank did not do too much good.:mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just returned from two trips to New England. First trip was to Hartford, CT., about 200 miles each way. Got 16.3 mpg @70mph. The next week went to Providence,RI, about 300 miles each way and got 16.9 mpg @ 70-80mph. I've got the V-6 engine. I seem to be getting better mileage the faster I go...I don't need that! The only problem I'm having is getting comfortable fo these long trips. Can't get the seat adjusted properly. I'll try again this Saturday. I'm going about 120 miles for a wild boar hunt in Central PA.
Signed: Stone Cold "My other Jeep is a Wrangler"

·
Registered
38 Posts
shyster said:
i am fine with my mileage thus far....but my new car smell is slowly leaving me.....i cant take it
time to trade it in!

i got 13.3 out of my last tank, mixed DC suburb driving (alot of beltway speeding or bumper to bumper). was pretty happy considering she's only got 400mi on her. hoping to see a little improvement once it's broken in, but i'm not complaining this is about what i expected.

i did manage (according to the trip computer) to get 18.9 MPG on a 30 mile highway trip w/ the cruise set a few ticks above 65. was definitely liking that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On a a trip from Austin to Houston I hit 16.9 mpg with the cruise set at 65-70 mph. The total trip was about 180 miles with rolling hills. Also I have been using 89 octane and my car has about 600 miles on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Loffgren-

How long were you driving, at what speed and was it downhill? I can get my milage to look like that but not for very long. Also, what engine and octane gas do you use.
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
12 Posts
REED---

Hey, I am using 89 octane mid-grade. I had been driving for about 20-30 miles, came from Davis CA to Vacaville CA on I-80. Not down hill, hehehe. I do have a K&N filter replacement nothing to fancy. Once in a great while she will jump up to 22.2 or so, but 21.4 is pretty average freeway MPG. Tires are at 35psi cold. Looking in to replaceing stock air intake system, I have been searching the net someone posted some pics and stock seem way resricted...opps 5.7 HEMI...NICE to see another MAC user

·
Registered
38 Posts
last two tanks of 89: 13.3 and 12.9 computed with a calculator, not the trip computer.

not too bad considering it's been mostly on shopping trips and commutes to work (with medium density traffic). i've had it on the highway and reset the computer and saw 17-21MPG so i'm feeling optimistic once we take her on a road trip.

oh it's a 5.7L

·
Registered
38 Posts
UK Commander 1 said:
Only downside is i have to live without the HEMI soundtrack :(
man w/ the boston acoustics sound system i rarely even hear my HEMI ;)

although i made a teenager in a civic feel a little depressed yesterday...6000lbs moves fast when you have a HEMI

·
Registered
38 Posts
aglio said:
last two tanks of 89: 13.3 and 12.9 computed with a calculator, not the trip computer.

not too bad considering it's been mostly on shopping trips and commutes to work (with medium density traffic). i've had it on the highway and reset the computer and saw 17-21MPG so i'm feeling optimistic once we take her on a road trip.

oh it's a 5.7L
well back from a road trip..spent half a tank on 95N and the other half running around philly. 13.5 MPG :(

i filled up on the way home today (from philly to dc) and used about a half tank to go 150+ miles which makes me happy. the computer said 18.0MPG when i pulled into my drive way.

this was on 87 too, figured i'd give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
aglio said:
although i made a teenager in a civic feel a little depressed yesterday...6000lbs moves fast when you have a HEMI
That is hilarious. :) Nobody thinks a brick on wheels can move. However, as the rule says ... "there's no replacement for displacement".

Yes, I know you can strap a twin turbo to a little 4 cylinder and generate some incredible numbers, but then that can be done to an 8 cylinder too and were right back to the little 4 cylinder being a speck in the rear view mirror.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.