Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to say HI to all as I am new here and this is my first post!!
The Forum is Excellent by the way!!
I would like to know the actual gas mileage ppl have been getting from the Commander!! I have been trying to decide on purchasing one, but I have heard that the gas mileage is terrible!! Would someone give me a heads up on what to expect in gas mileage??

Thx,
Allan

·
Registered
127 Posts
The first question members will ask you is, which engine will you be buying V6, 4.7V8 or the Hemi? Also your driving habbits, long commutes, mostly city driving or a healthy mixture. You will get an answer to anything Commander related at this site.
Welcome and I hope the Commander meets you needs, great vehicle.

·
Registered
184 Posts
We just picked up our new Commander, with the 5.7L Hemi V8. On our 1200 mile journey back home, we averaged 17 to 18 mpg, running 75. This is the actual calculated mileage, although the trip computer was pretty much spot on. As the engine breaks in, the mileage is improving. On the last tank, we were getting nearly 20 mpg!

It is my understanding that for the '09 models, the Hemi was updated with more HP as well as better fuel economy. I am anxious to tow our trailer to see what kind of mileage I get.

·
Registered
452 Posts
We vary from 12mpg is city driving, and w/ a conservative foot on the freeway doing between 60-65mph, we get about 21.8 mpg at max. This is w/ the HEMI, with just two passengers and a baby, running on regular unleaded. Barely can tell a difference in gas mileage betweeen the 'acceptable' octane of regular vs. the 'optimal' octane of plus/mid-grade. Join the club if you can.

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
Another mileage thread.:mofo:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Most of my driving is city and I get 15.1 MPG. Yesterday I took a trip and got 20.1 MPG on the highway with my a/c on (I live in Florida). I have a 4.7 V8 with QII. Also, mostly all the gas down here contains 10% ethanol.

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I usually get 17.8 between highway and city. We do a lot of driving and as long as we aren't too hard out of the gate, we do pretty well. If I'm rushed and I actually use the gas pedal, I get around 14. We have the 3.7 QT1.

·
Registered
576 Posts
My Hemi seems to suck down juice like it's going out of fashion. I think I average about 12.8 driving around the city, too and from work. I think my best may have been about 18mpg. But then again, with the Hemi, it is really hard to keep my foot out of it, it's addictive!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I get 18 mpg combined city/highway. When I'm on a trip I get about 22-23 mpg (speed of 70 mph). Highway mileage seems to decrease when I get over 72 mph. I have the 3.7 with QT1.

John

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have seen 21 to 22 MPG on the freeway with my HEMI! That's me driving, i try not to be so agressive on the gas pedal. On the other hand with my wife driving it is toyally a different story. She is left handed so i guess her right foot is heavier hehehe (LOL)! I don't think i am making any sense! LOL

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have an '06 Hemi, and really cannot complain about milage. Last SUV was a Nissan Pathfinder V6, so I too was concerned. The key to good gas milage is steadyness and just below 2000rpm. On flat highway dirving I can get the mpg read-out to top and hold 22 mpg but there's a trick to doing this. First get your cruise control set to just under 65mph, then hit the reset button as you are going down a slight gradient. The numbers will jump to 30+mpg, and immediatley start dropping into reality. But, since the calculations are based on averaging numbers, that 30 helps to distort the curve. Over time the numbers will settle out as the sample increases and so long as I do not have some hairbrained driver jump in front of me I can get a decent (over 20) reading. The real evaluation, however should come at the gas pump. Fill it til you see the gas in the tube, write down the milage, drive 6 hours and refill to the same level, subtract old milage from new milage and do the math on the amount of gas that was used(ie how much gas was used to replace what you used.
KKKKFL

KKKKFL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts