Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering if anyone has installed a 45x50 or 45x60 surco safari rack basket on their commander and if so how did you make it fit width way. Thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have the Surco - But I am unsure what you are having an issue with. Please elaborate.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You do know that the 45 is the width and the 50 or 60 goes north and south, right?

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I have the 50x as well, but it did need those little brackets to hook it to the rails. Maybe he just needs different brackets?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya thats what I was asking, i know the 45 is the width and is a little narrow for the commander which calls for a 50 inch width, i was just curious as to wether or not anyone had made a 45 inch width fit somehow. Only reason im wondering is because the price for a 45 to a 50 jumps dramatically

·
Registered
862 Posts
The 50'' is about ''right'' for the Commander, but I don't see how a 45'' would look all that bad. My rack's 50x60. I couldn't see going to 72'' either, as the price all but doubles for that last measly foot of length..

Here's some photos of my setup. The flat slats make GREAT places to mount lights.

A front shot of my ''version 2'' wind deflector. I lowered the lights. Then, I cut 4'' ABS pipe lengthwise (on a radial arm saw) to make a half-pipe. That was mounted to the front with long 1/4 x 20 bolts to the slats. It got rid of a LOT of the ''Banshee screaming'' past 40 MPH.

The BEST part of all: I have a buddy who works as a welder for a garbage company. It's unreal the stuff he can get for FREE. :D The rack floor is surgical grade stainless steel that came from a dam's fish ladder screens. It weighs next to nothing, and makes a great floor. He had large head rivets to install it with. We ruined a couple of tin snips trimming the corners off.

So... what does that shiny stainless mesh do? It blocks about 99% of the sun's heat by acting as a big heat sink. Even in Moab Utah last year in July, we could leave the dogs in the rig with the sun roof open. The ambient temp inside is all but 1 degree higher than outside. It can sit in the summer all day outside of work, and if I forget to leave anything open, there's still NO furnace blast when the door's open.

The SS mesh now lets me throw about anything up there, and the gazillion die cut ''pill capsule'' shapes allow bungee hooks anywhere. It cured my only complaint about Surco racks of which there isn't enough crossbars. The stock rack is only good for putting large items on it. Anything smaller than a Yakima roof pod falls thru. You can buy a crossbar kit to add more, but it's expensive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like that mesh Adondo. Just ordered a 50x60 Surco for $310 shipped with j200 brackets from autopartsdealer.com

·
Registered
862 Posts
You could have a ''floor'' made from expanded steel mesh. You'd have to paint it though, or it'll rust.

On this last 4th of July and/or Independence Day trip, the mesh floor really paid off. We had probably 150 lbs. of crap on top. I bought a big Thule storage bag, so our sleeping bags, pads, and clothing bags were all in it. (and stayed clean and dry) The camp cots, a commercial 10x10 EZ-Up, and even firewood was all up on the rack. That made living out of the Jeep NICE as the only things inside was our water in a 5 gallon jug and Igloo for ice water, the ice chest, and camera gear. No more windows with crammed sleeping bags against the glass, and throwing everything out to reach something else that would be buried. Without the roof rack ''floor'' everything would've been laying on the Jeep's roof itself.

My only annoyance was my stupid leather overnight bag has hard plastic feet on the bottom. I didn't notice them before, but they eroded four small holes in the bottom of the new Thule bag. I found that the 1st night out, and after that flipped the bag sideways. No more problems. I'm thinking that with some of the off-roading we did, the side-to-side pitching on bad roads and deep potholes is what made the holes by sliding the Thule back and forth a bit while the feet wore holes thru. (Crap diddle!!)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like that mesh Adondo. Just ordered a 50x60 Surco for $310 shipped with j200 brackets from autopartsdealer.com
I got my rack yesterday but without the j200 brackets. I just read some bad reviews from autopartsdealer.com about things like this (not giving you everything you ordered). Anyone recommend a website to order these from? Or not to get them at all

1 - 11 of 11 Posts