Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited with the 5.7 Hemi. Planning on buying a programmer/tuner in the near future and was wondering which would be the one to buy? Im looking to remove the speed governor, tune the rev limiter to a slightly higher rpm, also tune for 93 octane fuel since that is all I run in it, and also correct the speedo for the 2 inch lift I have on it with 265/70/17 Cooper A/T tires I have on it. Also I really want to put the MSD ignition coils on it and wonder if anyone has used them and if they really improved performance or not.

Another question I have is if there is a way to lobe tune to get that sweet sound when sitting at idle.

Already have K&N CIA installed and dual Flowmaster 40 series exhaust.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The flashpaq will do everything you just mentioned. It has a 91 octane performance tun, not 93 octane but that won't make a difference. I'm currently running the 91 tune and some gas stations here have 91 some have 93. Plus you can disable TPMS if you'd like, mess with the transmission shift points as well as several other things

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The flashpaq will do everything you just mentioned. It has a 91 octane performance tun, not 93 octane but that won't make a difference. I'm currently running the 91 tune and some gas stations here have 91 some have 93. Plus you can disable TPMS if you'd like, mess with the transmission shift points as well as several other things
Awesome thank you very much for your response. Which flashpaq model number is it? And are you using it on the 5.7l Hemi? And do you know anything about the MSD Ignition coils? Are they worth the money?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Awesome thank you very much for your response. Which flashpaq model number is it? And are you using it on the 5.7l Hemi? And do you know anything about the MSD Ignition coils? Are they worth the money?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have the 4.7 liter. My friend has the same one for his 06 Hemi XK and loves it. It's the same part number for both engines

·
Registered
31 Posts
It looks like the Flashpaq 3875 is no longer made.
From the website they are saying to use the 3872.
Is this the one that everyone is using now?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey everyone. I have a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited with the 5.7 Hemi. Planning on buying a programmer/tuner in the near future and was wondering which would be the one to buy?
What did you end up buying and how did it go? I have the same XK as you and was looking at the latest Flashpaq 3874, but it says "JK only" for "Corrects speedometer for tire upgrades" which if true is not what I want.

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
...was looking at the latest Flashpaq 3874, but it says "JK only" for "Corrects speedometer for tire upgrades" which if true is not what I want.
I just spoke with Superchips and they confirmed that Flashpaq 3874 corrects the speedometer and shift points on the XK. The description on their website is misleading.

Btw this new model 3874 allows you to turn off the TPMS. I remember reading previous versions only allowed you to change the PSI threshold but not turn off TPMS.

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
Big Blue said:
Superchips F5 Flashpaq Programmer is out now (Part # 3874) this is the one most guys here use now - I ordered one about a week ago. I should have it sometime next week.

Superchips Flashpaq F5 Programmer for 98-14 Jeep® Vehicles | Quadratec
I just spoke with Superchips and they confirmed that Flashpaq 3874 corrects the speedometer and shift points on the XK. The description on their website is misleading.

Btw this new model 3874 allows you to turn off the TPMS. I remember reading previous versions only allowed you to change the PSI threshold but not turn off TPMS.
All you had to do was read my previous post.

I told you which one to get - I even gave you the link to order one. :|

I just double-checked my order status and my superchips F5 programmer is actually due to arrive tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
Subscribing...
Big Blue is in the shop today - swapping out my rear shocks (Bilstein HD 4600's) with Bilstein 5100's and having two 30 Watt Cree LED light pods mounted on each side of the roof, so, I don't think I'll have time to pick up my Superchips F5 Flashpaq Programmer (Part # 3874) today.

I should definitely have it in hand tomorrow though and I'll update you with my findings.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
O.K. received my SuperChips (3874) F5 Flashpaq today and had a chance to play with it already and here are a few observations for anybody thinking about getting one.

First off when you get it, you have to go to superchips.com and download a program called "Ignition" which is the update program for the F5 Flashpaq programmer.

Once you download Ignition to your computer you connect your programmer via the USB Cable and register it.

Once you register it, it will ask you if you want to purchase an extended warranty for $37.00 which I did.

Once you accept or decline the warranty, you can check for updates - which I suggest you do before you use it; My F5 had 16 updates/files to download, which took about 10 minutes.

At this point, you can take it out to your vehicle and start playing.

When you hook it up to your Commander - you want to have the ignition on with the engine off/not running.

It will take about 5 minutes to download & read your Engine file - which was a little nerve racking for me because I was getting all kinds of trouble codes while it was doing this - "Check Gauges" "Service 4WD System" "Transmission Overtemp" but apparently this is normal while downloading the engine file, so, don't panic.

I went to change my tire size and to my surprise - the tire size was not listed as 24565R17 (for the stock tire size); It was listed as stock size "28.00" which is the tire height in inches as it turns out. I found a tire chart on my smart phone that listed the tire height of a 26570R17 as 31.6 inches. The F5 Flashpaq only allows you to adjust tire height in .25 inch increments so I changed mine to 31.5 inches which is about as close as you can get to 31.6 inches. This is located under the "Quick Options" Sub Menu;

I drove around a little bit and the speedo seems accurate now, where it was about 3.5 - 4 mph off previously.

Somebody on this forum said they called Superchips and said that Superchips told them that you can disable the TPM sensors with this tuner. I am here to tell you that I don't think that's the case. I have not found an option to disable the TPM sensor.

I also programmed my engine for the 93 octane performance tune. Once you finishing tuning your engine it will clear all of your stored DTC codes (if you have any) just follow the prompts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does anyone have the sad 3.7l like myself? Im ordering the ported and polished Throdle body and Cold Air as soon as engine is in. The engine is out of my grand Cherokee and I don't think it will cut it in the commander. It probably has maybe 15k on the engine so I don't want to push it to the limit but I need more power since now it's Gona be in a heavier truck that's lifted, tires etc... and what I like is the TPMS setting because I powder coated my Gunmatal rims to a Matte Black so I want to use good ol rubber valve stems so I don't have the chrome color. So wondering if anyone has any experience with this programmer and the 3.7.... From what I've read it's def the programmer to buy but everyone i talked to has the 4.7 or Hemi... This Forum has been GREAT and so far everyone has been very helpful because I'm new to Commamders and i found out there the Red Headded step child of Jeeps!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
I'm new to Commamders and i found out there the Red Headded step child of Jeeps!!!
I've said this several times before - The stance and aesthetics on a stock Commander is all wrong and this falls squarely on Chrysler/Jeep's shoulders.

The body itself is very tall and it sits way too low to the ground on tires that are entirely too small for the size and weight of the vehicle.

So in general, they probably don't get a lot of love because that's what people are used to seeing.

Once you raise it to the proper height and put larger tires on it, the aesthetics & stance completely change.

I get approached by people all the time, who give Big Blue nothing but praise.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the diablo sport InTune. This has been updated to a newer model by Diablo sport already, but it was a good product.

Same for the TPMS issue, it does not get rid of it, but you can adjust the parameters to where they really do not sense anything anymore.
You can also by TPMS sensor with metal or rubber stems... Check Ebay or Amazon, both sell them.

The best performance you will ever get is to take your rig to a dyno and spend the cash to have them dial it in and save the setting on your programmer.
They will take all the junk average programming out of the vehicle and make it more appropriate for your rig and driving style.

I have big meat 35s and tons of engine tweaks and I still get 16-17 mpg's because of the adjustments made on the dyno to the engine and transmission.

All cars could use a trip on the dyno :)

Dave

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
The best performance you will ever get is to take your rig to a dyno and spend the cash to have them dial it in and save the setting on your programmer.

They will take all the junk average programming out of the vehicle and make it more appropriate for your rig and driving style.

All cars could use a trip on the dyno :)

Dave
I don't really have a desire to race mine, but I have to admit, a run on the Dyno is tempting - just because I want to see how much power I'm actually making now. There is a shop not too far from me that is set up to Dyno 4x4's.

I can tell you that since I programmed mine with the 93 octane performance tune and programmed my computer with the correct tire size, I can feel the difference in the gas pedal responsiveness.

It definitely feels like Big Blue has quite a bit more pep and the acceleration response is much sharper now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't really have a desire to race mine, but I have to admit, a run on the Dyno is tempting - just because I want to see how much power I'm actually making now. There is a shop not too far from me that is set up to Dyno 4x4's.

I can tell you that since I programmed mine with the 93 octane performance tune and programmed my computer with the correct tire size, I can feel the difference in the gas pedal responsiveness.

It definitely feels like Big Blue has quite a bit more pep and the acceleration response is much sharper now.

Thats what I wanted to hear..I guess I'll put that on my to do list.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts