Jeep Commander Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
Thats what I wanted to hear..I guess I'll put that on my to do list.
I think it's a worthwhile investment.

I also like that you change the tune to towing, regular everyday driving or what have you.

It's nice to have the ability to adjust your engine's performance to the task at hand.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have lifted it 3" new complete brake setup all around, NGK iridium plugs someone here recommended, shocks, struts, springs, control arms, sway bar links and bushings for sway bar, HD tranny lines, black led fogs, powder coated factory gunmetal rims to matte black which are more gloss bc of so much clear, 265/70/17 (I think) Goodyear wrangler Duratracts. The engine swap started today. My 1st thing after the engine is in (Wednesday we hope) is a cold air, roof rack, and the port n pol throttle body. I have no desire to Dyno it till it's got a winter on it with all the new parts and my 1st commander..I just wanted to see what easy inexpensive ways to add some power were without killing the 3.**** engine. Engine only has maybe 15k at most on it. It's a daily driver and I have 6 months of snow here coming and 3 months of back "non maintained" roads to deal with next week. When I got 4 guys in it with some deer in that rack I don't wana have to bury the pedal to get up and down the hills. So I think all I'm Gona do is the tuner, Build a Cold Air, TB, and that will get me where i wana be.. It's on my list but considering archery starts next weekend and I got laid off today I'm going with what I can afford for now and quick. Bumper, light bar n putco's are Gona have to wait a month. unfortunately i can't do it all at once like planned.. But itl still be good enough for what I need.. Knowing me one winter and up for sale and get a newer one w a hemi if I like the commander....Thats my $600 commander. Will post when she's out of surgery!!
Btw blue ever look at that bumper?

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
Btw this new model 3874 allows you to turn off the TPMS. I remember reading previous versions only allowed you to change the PSI threshold but not turn off TPMS.
This is not true.

Based on the pictures I'm posting and the experience I'm getting ready to share, I'd surmise that the option to adjust ANY settings related to the TPM sensors is not available on Jeep Commanders - and here is my reasoning:

According to the manual (pictured below) the TPM sensor settings are supposed to be in the "Tire Pressure" sub-menu under "Quick Options".

The manual goes on to say that "The availability of the following features depends on the year & model of your Jeep".

Now my F5 is basically brand new - received it a couple of weeks ago and I just updated it again yesterday and I don't even have a tire pressure sub-menu under Quick Options.

These are the only options I have available for my 2008 Commander under "Quick Options" - see the below photo:

The only conclusion I can come to, is that F5 (3874) Flashpaq does not give you access to the Tire Pressure sub-menu, which means you have no access to any TPM sensor settings on Jeep Commanders.

Now I have re-programmed my engine with the 93 Octane performance tune (which I'm quite happy with);
I've also cleared all the old Diagnostic Trouble Codes that were stored and I've successfully adjusted my speedometer by programming in my larger tire size, so it is a very useful tool.

If there is anybody else on this forum that knows something pertaining to this TPM sensor issue that we haven't touched on, by all means, please share whatever usable information you have.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for clarifying this. Your conclusion makes sense. I had called Superchips to confirm what was supported for the Commander and the rep said (confidently too) that I'd be able to turn the TMPS off. Apparently he was talking off the cuff.

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
Thanks for clarifying this. Your conclusion makes sense. I had called Superchips to confirm what was supported for the Commander and the rep said (confidently too) that I'd be able to turn the TMPS off. Apparently he was talking off the cuff.
Well, if you were just skimming through the book, it sort of leads you to believe that you can at least adjust the tire pressure level that activates the TPM sensors under the Tire Pressure sub-menu.

You wouldn't really know any different, until you hook it up to your vehicle, read your engine file and then go into the quick options sub-menu and see what options you actually have available - or don't have available.

It's only at this point, that you really know, what you can and what you can't do with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
PHP:
The flashpaq will do everything you just mentioned. It has a 91 octane performance tun, not 93 octane but that won't make a difference. I'm currently running the 91 tune and some gas stations here have 91 some have 93. Plus you can disable TPMS if you'd like, mess with the transmission shift points as well as several other things
So I'm a bit confused after checking out the Superchips site, I did not see anything about a 91 octane setting, only tow, economy and power level 3. What's the advantage of using a tuner if you have to spend more on the higher octane fuel, is that necessary?

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
So I'm a bit confused after checking out the Superchips site, I did not see anything about a 91 octane setting, only tow, economy and power level 3. What's the advantage of using a tuner if you have to spend more on the higher octane fuel, is that necessary?
If you are going to load your engine with a performance tune, (my F5 3874 Flashpaq loads the 93 octane performance tune) you will typically be told to run super-unleaded gas, to maximize the effectiveness and overall performance of the tune.

Is it a necessity to use 93 octane gas when you load the 93 octane performance tune?

No it's not, it's just recommended to see the best results.

You could run the 93 octane performance tune on regular unleaded gas without any adverse effects.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you are going to load your engine with a performance tune, (my F5 3874 Flashpaq loads the 93 octane performance tune) you will typically be told to run super-unleaded gas, to maximize the effectiveness and overall performance of the tune.

Is it a necessity to use 93 octane gas when you load the 93 octane performance tune?

No it's not, it's just recommended to see the best results.

You could run the 93 octane performance tune on regular unleaded gas without any adverse effects.
Thanks, makes sense :smile2:

·
Registered
326 Posts
I read that Superchips boasts a 20% gain in power. For a 3.7 that's 40+ HP and is a generic Jeep tuner which I find hard to believe because Hypertech could only get 25 HP on the 3.7L which is a Commander specific tuner and specific engine tunes.

That being said, it looks like the 3874 Flahpaq F5 might be the better product overall.

Has anyone used this on a 3.7 yet or the Hypertech mudule?

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
I read that Superchips boasts a 20% gain in power. For a 3.7 that's 40+ HP and is a generic Jeep tuner which I find hard to believe because Hypertech could only get 25 HP on the 3.7L which is a Commander specific tuner and specific engine tunes.

That being said, it looks like the 3874 Flahpaq F5 might be the better product overall.

Has anyone used this on a 3.7 yet or the Hypertech mudule?
20% on a stock 2008 4.7L is 61 HP.

I wouldn't believe the 20% claim based on my experience using it, loading the 93 Octane performance tune.

I think a 20 HP gain is realistic.

·
Registered
326 Posts
20% on a stock 2008 4.7L is 61 HP.

I wouldn't believe the 20% claim based on my experience using it, loading the 93 Octane performance tune.

I think a 20 HP gain is realistic.
With your experience using it so far would you say the performance is negligible or very noticeable?

P.S. I know you're still on post, but figured I'd ask.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
With your experience using it so far would you say the performance is negligible or very noticeable?

P.S. I know you're still on post, but figured I'd ask.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, the difference in performance is definitely noticeable in my opinion - especially during off the line acceleration.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Okay, anyone on here have experience w the SuperChips TrailDash2? other peeps on FB are getting it for their v8 Commanders but people hear have more experience and expertize. so anybody?

21 - 40 of 70 Posts