Jeep Commander Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
SuperChips TrailDash2?

Okay, anyone on here have experience w the SuperChips TrailDash2? other peeps on FB are getting it for their v8 Commanders but people hear have more experience and expertize. so anybody?
Zero experience with it - I've never even heard of it until just now.

I went to superchips site and checked it out - looks like a dash mounted unit.

https://superchips.com/shop/jeep-traildash2-42050

I read the product features and I don't see that it offers that much more than the F5 Flashpaq 3874 that I already have - and it's $120.00 more expensive.

If you don't already have a tuner, it might be worth a shot - if you don't mind ponying up the $500.00 which is what it will cost with tax and shipping.

Not all the reviews on it are great either - here are a couple that caught my eye:

So I thought I'd be able to control and change most of the settings on my Jeep. Install was cake, took 5 min, setup was cake too, but some of the more important parameters I was hoping to change are not available. TPMS where you can view all 4 tire pressures and the cooling fan on/off temp are both not an option on the TD2, which is surprising for the cost of it. I'm still waiting to see if the gas saver tune will actual save some since it actually seems even more touchy with the pedal. All in all, it looks cool, and does monitor a ton of different fields but I have no need for it so I probably won't keep this long. Bummer.
Really didn't do anything but make the pedal touchy. I have a cold air intake and exhaust and would have liked a way to control those mods better. Mpgs didn't change when running any of the tunes, neither did performance with 35's on. and when running the "eco" mode I actually get 3 mpgs worse. I'm very upset with performance part of it. Nice to have the screen in front of you to have what's going on with temps and changing things on the go that's why I gave it 3 stars instead of 1. Wouldn't recommend if your looking to enhance your performance. Just save your money and get the cheap flash cal and change your tire size because this is all it does. Overpriced not happy with my choice

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's great Kaiser, post a follow up here once you have a chance start toying with it.
Well, just got done with the tuner, reading and attempting to clear codes. Found the following which were indicated on the dash before scanning (except for battery and ignition codes):

C100A, left front wheel speed sensor circuit
C2100, Battery voltage low
B2185, Ignition unlock run/start control circuit high
C1458, Transfer case diff clutch worn
UO415, Invalid data from ABS control mod

Unfortunately, attempts to clear the codes failed, even though the Flashpaq screen said clearing codes was successful. On startup, still getting "service 4WD system" message and dash indicators of ABS and ESP issues.
User's manual states that if DTC persists, this could indicate a vehicle malfunction. Isn't that obvious or there would not be a warning message or idiot light in the first place?

My disappointment is that I can't clear the codes, which means I can't enable 4WD LOW range, etc. Certainly if there are actual mechanical/electrical issues I want to know about them, but I already did without the scanner. Of course, I still have the tuning options.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, just got done with the tuner, reading and attempting to clear codes. Found the following which were indicated on the dash before scanning (except for battery and ignition codes):

C100A, left front wheel speed sensor circuit
C2100, Battery voltage low
B2185, Ignition unlock run/start control circuit high
C1458, Transfer case diff clutch worn
UO415, Invalid data from ABS control mod

Unfortunately, attempts to clear the codes failed, even though the Flashpaq screen said clearing codes was successful. On startup, still getting "service 4WD system" message and dash indicators of ABS and ESP issues.
User's manual states that if DTC persists, this could indicate a vehicle malfunction. Isn't that obvious or there would not be a warning message or idiot light in the first place?

My disappointment is that I can't clear the codes, which means I can't enable 4WD LOW range, etc. Certainly if there are actual mechanical/electrical issues I want to know about them, but I already did without the scanner. Of course, I still have the tuning options.
Well I tried again and still could not remove warning messages by clearing DTC's but I do have my 4WD LOW back. Interesting that the service 4WD system warning is still displayed along with ABS and ESP lights but I can engage 4WD. This all occurred after clearing codes 3 times in a row and then scanning for codes again. Upon last scan, I did not show any transfer case or drivetrain codes but still have "service" message as stated above.

I have not tried any of the custom tunes yet.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well I tried again and still could not remove warning messages by clearing DTC's but I do have my 4WD LOW back. Interesting that the service 4WD system warning is still displayed along with ABS and ESP lights but I can engage 4WD. This all occurred after clearing codes 3 times in a row and then scanning for codes again. Upon last scan, I did not show any transfer case or drivetrain codes but still have "service" message as stated above.

I have not tried any of the custom tunes yet.
Where these codes existing before you got the tuner or did they happen after you started programming?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Where these codes existing before you got the tuner or did they happen after you started programming?

I'm sure the codes were present as I had warning lights on the dash for ABS, EPS and the "service 4WD system" warning message before scanning. I haven't programmed any of the tunes yet. Looks like my next stop is with my mechanic to determine if something truly mechanical is at issue.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm sure the codes were present as I had warning lights on the dash for ABS, EPS and the "service 4WD system" warning message before scanning. I haven't programmed any of the tunes yet. Looks like my next stop is with my mechanic to determine if something truly mechanical is at issue.
Ok, there are some codes that need to be cleared by the dealer or you can buy a higher level reader.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I read that Superchips boasts a 20% gain in power. For a 3.7 that's 40+ HP and is a generic Jeep tuner which I find hard to believe because Hypertech could only get 25 HP on the 3.7L which is a Commander specific tuner and specific engine tunes.

That being said, it looks like the 3874 Flahpaq F5 might be the better product overall.

Has anyone used this on a 3.7 yet or the Hypertech mudule?
Legofan,

Did you end up getting the Superchip? Like you, I have the 3.7 too. I received an email from lady at Superchips and she said her master tech said "no, we don’t have any tuning for the commander with the 3.7 engine." So, I'm curious if anyone else tried it with the 3.7 and/or if there is a 3.7 option on the program itself.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Legofan,

Did you end up getting the Superchip? Like you, I have the 3.7 too. I received an email from lady at Superchips and she said her master tech said "no, we don’t have any tuning for the commander with the 3.7 engine." So, I'm curious if anyone else tried it with the 3.7 and/or if there is a 3.7 option on the program itself.
I haven't got it yet. AFAIK the the one Big Blue has is for 3.7 to 5.7 hemi.

Hypertech, though, has one built more for the 3.7 which gives 25hp increase with dyno specs.

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/vehicle-results.aspx?AAIAID=293444

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/Perfor..._Mitsubishi_Truck_SUV_Tire_and_Gear_52501.pdf

Edit: Checked the website and you're right, the Flashpaq is only for the V8s.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Legofan! I'm going to email Hypertech and see what they might recommend for me. I'm looking to get something asap. Thanks again for you help!

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
I haven't got it yet. AFAIK the the one Big Blue has is for 3.7 to 5.7 hemi.

Hypertech, though, has one built more for the 3.7 which gives 25hp increase with dyno specs.

Hypertech

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/Perfor..._Mitsubishi_Truck_SUV_Tire_and_Gear_52501.pdf

Edit: Checked the website and you're right, the Flashpaq is only for the V8s.

Hey, if that's the case -sorry for the bad information.

The add on the Quadratrec website - where I bought it - said its for ALL Jeeps 98-14, it doesn't say anything to the effect of for V-8 engines only.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/17609_5003.htm

·
Registered
18 Posts
No big deal Big Blue! I just got an email back from a Bailey at Quadratec, they said I should not have an issue with the Superchips 3874 Flashpaq F5 Programmer with the 3.7. I think I may error on the side of caution and not go with the Superchips one, since the master tech at Superchips said it works for the V8's. Pity, I liked the looks of the Superchips one better than the Hypertech.

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
No big deal Big Blue! I just got an email back from a Bailey at Quadratec, they said I should not have an issue with the Superchips 3874 Flashpaq F5 Programmer with the 3.7. I think I may error on the side of caution and not go with the Superchips one, since the master tech at Superchips said it works for the V8's. Pity, I liked the looks of the Superchips one better than the Hypertech.
I really don't think you will either after using it and seeing how it interacts with the ECU.

But definitely use whatever you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hey, if that's the case -sorry for the bad information.

The add on the Quadratrec website - where I bought it - said its for ALL Jeeps 98-14, it doesn't say anything to the effect of for V-8 engines only.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/17609_5003.htm
No problem at all, I wasn't implying there was misinformation here. While Quadratrec is not wrong and it will work one all Jeeps models MY98-14, it doesn't cover all sub-models. As far as using the unit as a OBD II unit, yes, it will work for all those models. As for the tuning bit, it's the V8's only.

No big deal Big Blue! I just got an email back from a Bailey at Quadratec, they said I should not have an issue with the Superchips 3874 Flashpaq F5 Programmer with the 3.7.
She is correct, but you do not have tuning ability on the 3.7 unfortunately.

This is the info on Quadratrec's site on what XKs it is compatible with.

• Jeep Commander (XK)
  • 2009 Jeep Commander (XK)
  • 2008 Jeep Commander (XK)
  • 2007 Jeep Commander (XK)
  • 2006 Jeep Commander (XK)
On the contrary, Superchips website says it will work on all XKs MY06-10, 4.7 and 5.7 only. There's actually nothing available at all for the 3.7 on the Superchips website.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I did not realize that, assumed that if the specs say "read and clear DTC's" that it actually does that.
True, but not all OBD II readers have the ability to clear higher level DTCs. Obviously, if it is a failure, you can't clear it. The cheap units you can buy at Pep Boys can't clear much and if your vehicle uses CANBUS then you'll need a vehicle specific unit. I don;t believe the Jeep uses CANBUS.

So, it's possible that it just doesn't have the software to clear those codes.

Here's a higher level reader you could use, but I would save the Superchips unit as a tuner only device IMHO.

www.icarsoft.us_Chrysler_Scan_Tools

I have the i906 and its a great unit. It's Volvo specific and it's saved me hundreds of diagnostic dealer fees.

The i810 will work with Chrysler products.

https://scanneranswers.com/best-obd2-jeep-scanners/

41 - 60 of 70 Posts