Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 commander 4.7 starting issue. Turn key to start and only hear the relay click once. All lights come on all windows work. Was driving 20 min prior to shutting it off. Ignition switch? Starter? Fuse? Already tried hitting the starter.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Sounds like the battery may be shot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried jumping it and nothing happened. It was running just fine and starting fine. Battery wouldnt go to **** within 20 min would it? Like i said all lights work, the dumbie lights come on, the windows all work, and the power locks work just fine. If the battery is shot you think that all that wouldnt work?
plus you would hear the famous starter clicking if the battery was dead

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had this happen last week... 1 click and nothing. Tested the battery and it was fine. It was the starter :( I paid $320 at a local shop and they put a mopar starter on it. Here is a video of exactly what mine sounded like:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine doesnt even do that. You can hear a faint relay click the first time you turn the key. And to hear it click again you have to tune the key off, wait for the dumbie lights to go out then turn the key again

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the 5.7, but had similar issue. Check the cables to the starter first before you start replacing. Mine had come loose and was causing a loose connection. Several threads on ths.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have the 5.7, but had similar issue. Check the cables to the starter first before you start replacing. Mine had come loose and was causing a loose connection. Several threads on ths.
I went through 3 starters on my 06 before they replaced the wiring harness which took care of my starter problems.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Im going through this nightmare still right now. Im Trying to have it fixed next weekend. I spoke to a jeep tech and he said the factory starter is a poor design drwing too much current through the harness, As a result it chews through the harness making a intermittent start issue, It engages the solenoid (Click) but not enough current to turn over the starter until you get lucky. He said the repair is a new starter and Harness. Dealer quoted me 315 just starter installed. Awaiting call back for the additional harness quote.

·
Registered
20 Posts
X2

Take a look at the wire that runs into the started. Can't remember what color the wire is but it will/may come loose and the issue with this if this is your problem is that the connector part is exposed and not properly covered and may cause a bit of corrosion.

Easy way to see it is lift the front end like an oil change and remove the black protector cover and grab a flashlight and you will see the starter toward the back of the engine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Update: dealer in jersey is charging me $425 otd for a new harness and starter. Not a bad price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually had this happen to me today also.2 minutes in dunkin donuts. And the dreaded click. Replacement starter put in at dealership out of pocket 405$ wish I would have seen these forums a Kong ago when I purchased my 06 Commander. Either way, you guys all have wonderful knowledge

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Update: dealer in jersey is charging me $425 otd for a new harness and starter. Not a bad price.
Ouch! The starter alone cost me about $100 (aftermarket, lifetime warranty) and took me just a bit over an hour. Only required a box-end-wrench and socket to do the whole job, without even lifting the car. Gotta love how simple domestic cars are made to maintain.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Believe me I would have been on the ground doing it myself too if i was not in Jersey with my tools in Florida :4: Although the harness looks like a PITA.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts