Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The left turn signal in my 2007 randomly activates while driving. If you take a right turn, the force of the turn signal lever returning to the middle position frequently activates the left turn signal, even though the lever remains in the middle position. At other times, just hitting a moderate size bump in the road will cause the left turn signal to activate, still while the control is in the middle position. The only way to get the signal to stop blinking is to lightly jiggle the turn signal control lever. Anyone have any ideas on cause, and instructions on how to fix and/or what to replace? :icon_confused:

·
Registered
954 Posts
The left turn signal in my 2007 randomly activates while driving. If you take a right turn, the force of the turn signal lever returning to the middle position frequently activates the left turn signal, even though the lever remains in the middle position. At other times, just hitting a moderate size bump in the road will cause the left turn signal to activate, still while the control is in the middle position. The only way to get the signal to stop blinking is to lightly jiggle the turn signal control lever. Anyone have any ideas on cause, and instructions on how to fix and/or what to replace? :icon_confused:
It sounds like it might be the stalk, you can order a replacement and they're very easy to replace. You might also want to try to remove it and do a visual inspection for anything that might look like it could be the cause. There are three screws to remove from underneath the steering column then it splits apart in half (top & bottom) then there is one screw that keeps the stalk in place, you disconnect the small harness and the stalk slides right up.

Good luck!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well, I know the problem I had and not the same as what you were describing, but my multi-function switch (turnsignal, headlights, dimmer) went bad. It was causing my headlights to start to flicker on and off, when that would happen I could see my radio backlighting go brighter / dimmer as the headlights turned on and off. It is very easy to replace, took me no longer than 15 mins to change. Part cost 100.00 from dealer. It's a self contained assembly. The multifunction switch sounds to be what is the culprit in your situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not having any problem with the head lights or anything dimming. I did however notice that after posting yesterday, that when I flash the brights to on position the turn signal temporarily activates, on the left for a few seconds and does the same when brights turned back to low. So the only symptom I have is the darn left turn signal being "touchy" So do I go with the stalk, or with the multi function switch????

·
Registered
954 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Left Turn Signal Stuck

So I'm having a similar issue, but my left turn signal is just stuck on. If the switch is in neutral or to the left, its blinking. Bad news is the multi switch is back ordered and i fear it will be months till i will be able to get one. If I put pressure against it towards the dash while its in the neutral position it does go off. Before I take it out and possibly break it worse anyone have any input?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Remove it and try cleaning it with some contact cleaner. Really easy job. Should only take 5-10 mins, if that.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any resolution on this guys? My left turn signal is doing the same thing. Always stays on unless you put the right signal on or hold it up to the right a bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lt Turn signal stays on

Mine started doing this and after looking at the forum. I replaced the multi function switch ($131.00 at dealer) at the dealer "with discount". That was it although they said a "clock spring" ($400.00)could also cause something similar.
I could have found it cheaper probably but they were about to close and I didn't want to drive around next week with thing aggravating me.
T20 torx thin if possible. Take 3 screws out of lower Steering column cover plate. Remove them, take out 2 small silver T20 screws, slide the assembly towards dash, wiring will disconnect, reinstall. Now go have a beer and try not think about what else you could have done that money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts