Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I failed safety inspection today. I replaced the 3rd brake light assembly, the 2 side bulbs on the back which are working fine, and the 2 side turn signal bulbs on the front. They are blinking when I put them in. But stop shortly after. On both sides. I don't know where to go from here. Electrical is not my forte. Any advice on what I should do next?

On an additional note, the driver side brake light bulb is intermittently dim. Think a new bulb will fix it? It illuminates. But doesn't get bright when you apply brakes like its supposed to. It does intermittently. But not always. I double checked the bulb and it isn't burnt out. And the little assembly the bulb plugs into is snug. And the bulb is installed properly.

·
Administrator
6,824 Posts
So I failed safety inspection today. I replaced the 3rd brake light assembly, the 2 side bulbs on the back which are working fine, and the 2 side turn signal bulbs on the front. They are blinking when I put them in. But stop shortly after. On both sides. I don't know where to go from here. Electrical is not my forte. Any advice on what I should do next?

On an additional note, the driver side brake light bulb is intermittently dim. Think a new bulb will fix it? It illuminates. But doesn't get bright when you apply brakes like its supposed to. It does intermittently. But not always. I double checked the bulb and it isn't burnt out. And the little assembly the bulb plugs into is snug. And the bulb is installed properly.
Take your tail lights apart and check the bulb sockets for rust/corrosion.

You may need a new tail light wiring harness if the sockets are corroded - or you could try to clean them up with a wire brush;

If the sockets are rusty/ corroded, I'd just replace the harness which would come with all new sockets - and of course you'd need new bulbs as well.

This is what the tail light wiring harness looks like;

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I mess with any of that, I use CRC electrical connection cleaner before I plug anything back in. Also can use some dielectric grease on the outside of the connections to protect/insulate. Check the front fuse box and fuses. Mine started corroding (I guess due to the battery off-gassing and causing rust on the bottom of the fuse connections. I was able to fix my brake light issues that failed inspection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts