Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I won't become a poster boy, but I am an advocate. In less than a month since I got my Commander, I traded my wifes Liberty Renegade in today so now we both have 2006 Hemi Limiteds... Mine is Steel Blue, Hers is Lt. Khaki. Both have identical options, so there will be peace in my house! :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very nice!!!!!! No chance of getting my husband to get a Commander, as he just bought a 2006 TJ Rubicon Unlimited 2 months ago. We actually do fight over which Jeep to take.

However, a friend of ours up the street who owns a Cherokee and an older Wrangler, is looking at Commanders for his wife, she saw mine and liked it, she would be trading in her Windstar, exactly like I did. :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We took hers this weekend and ran some trails with it. It did suprisingly well for as deep as some of the ruts were and it being bone stock. The only casualty was the plastic deflector under the engine. But we both had alot fun!!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Hemi05WJ said:
The only casualty was the plastic deflector under the engine.
You mean the little "air dam" that runs along the front? Just remove it. That was the first thing that changed after getting mine home from the dealership. The vehicle looks better without it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rubicontrail.net said:
You mean the little "air dam" that runs along the front? Just remove it. That was the first thing that changed after getting mine home from the dealership. The vehicle looks better without it.

Nope, I know what you are talking about... this one is underneath covering the lower engine/oil pan area.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Oh the shield thing that is supposed to catch fluid drips? I am kind of confused why they include that anyway... I would prefer to know that my vehicle is dripping something not have the vehicle hide it from me.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Dabitz said:
Would you post a picture without it?
A picture without the shield to catch drips or a picture without the air dam? I still have the shield to catch drips on there (was just confused at why they put it on there).

However here is a picture of my Commander without the air dam.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congrats on the second Commander. Thats one way to resolve conflicts!:)
Also, be aware of something when removing a front air dam. On a previous vehicle I heard that removing the air dam could cause overheating probs because the dam deflected air up into the engine compartment at higher speeds. Don't know if its similar in the Commander or not.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
BBcommander said:
On a previous vehicle I heard that removing the air dam could cause overheating probs because the dam deflected air up into the engine compartment at higher speeds.
So far, there are no over heating issues and I live in toasty warm Arizona.

Also the owners manual actually instructs you to remove the air dam if you plan to do any off roading.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Funny thing, before your thread, it looked to low and might break during a snow storm... Is it easy to remove?

Regarding the shield, mine is all messed up with oil thanks to the the dudes at Strauss that changed my oil & filter. I guess that provides some off-roading protection as well.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Dabitz said:
Funny thing, before your thread, it looked to low and might break during a snow storm... Is it easy to remove?

Regarding the shield, mine is all messed up with oil thanks to the the dudes at Strauss that changed my oil & filter. I guess that provides some off-roading protection as well.
I left my shield in place too. I figure it adds a little bit of protection too... and I guess it will keep any oil from dripping on the garage floor.

On your other question, the air dam is super-easy to remove. On mine there were three white fasteners. You turn those about a quarter turn and pull them out. Then work from one end to the other pulling the air dam off. It requires no tools and takes about five minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts