Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows tinted, 15% up front, 5% in the back, brown pinstrip removed...

Radio install complete.

Next up, 1 12" sub and adding backup camera...I want to black out the turn signals and rear tail lights but I'm afraid it won't come out looking good. I even bought the Nightshade paint and everything! :lol:

Last step will be adding 20" Stock wheels from Grand Cherokee SRT-8 in the Spring.

The radio is the Pioneer AVH-4200DVD. In the pics above, I'm running a Data DVD for the songs and the movie. I was FINALLY able to get my 640GB HDD to be recognized by the damn thing. Simply had to format to FAT32.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Looks good, moved your thread over here and opened at as a garage thread, keep posting your mods here!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Backing up sucks enough with the stock rear tint let alone 5%! I hope you install that backup camera asap. I wish I had one.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks for the pics, keep them coming!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good looking install!

Have you thought about removing the 3rd row, building a box and sub in that space?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good looking install!

Have you thought about removing the 3rd row, building a box and sub in that space?
Nah, I think I'm going to hold on to the third row...probably will NEVER use it, but you never know, and would be nice to have to be able to like "rescue" someone if the need arrives. :lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got the 12" sub in, I had left my amplifier at home (was a last minute decision) and just wired it to the factory amp for now, may change later. No pics of that at the moment, too much junk in my trunk right now. :lol:

But I also went ahead and blacked out the turn signals and the tail lights as well...it came out much better than I had expected! Don't really have any before pics other than the ones in my previous posts, but here's the after!

Need to do a few hairs of touch up on the front, and also I'll try to take some pictures at night as well later on. :)

[EDIT]
Night shots! I had some over spray a bit on the right side and didn't blot out the side of the tailight. Trying to decide which I would like to have.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks good man, any chance your gonna do a write up on blacking out the lights?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good man, any chance your gonna do a write up on blacking out the lights?
As far as a write up, there's surprisingly not a whole lot to it. I was honestly scared to actually do it and had purchased the materials and didn't actually do it until maybe 6 days later. :lol:

As far as the materials needed...

Plastic cover (for over spray)
Painters tape (self explanatory)
1 Can of VHT Nightshade
1 Can of Plastic Clear-coat
1 or 2 Heaters help the dry process (especially in the cold!)
1 Can of Adhesive Remover (to clean up over spray)

I would have taken more pictures of the process, but I was doing it at my friend's house in his cramped ass garage with my big ass truck. There was very little room to maneuver, so here's all I came up with for pics...

Before shot...all we did was wipe the lens down with a paper towel and water...

Pretty much an "after" shot...3 coats of the VHT Nightshade, and 3 coats of Clear-coat...

Kind of hard to see here, like I said, little room to step back...just as dark as the speaker! :lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thx for the write-up ... I really want to do it but alittle nervous myself :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
i blacked mine out as well and just a suggestion the tail lights come off very easy. might wanna take them off and paint them if anyone else ever tries this. haven't gotten to the front turn signals yet. too cold! lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
just a suggestion the tail lights come off very easy. might wanna take them off and paint them if anyone else ever tries this. haven't gotten to the front turn signals yet. too cold! lol
Thx, for the tip, I think I will just break down and do it. Alittle cold here in Michigan as well, probably the only real reason I haven't done it yet, oh and the fact that I can see myself getting pulled over.. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Twinsen, Yours turned out VERY nice. Looks great with the white!

For those scared to do this for themselves, any local paint shop will gladly do this for some side money. takes minutes and they can make between fifty and a hundred bucks. Although, I'm not scared to do the work myself, I'm ridiculously picky about getting it right in color and gloss. the paint shop will maintain that factory appearance. I'm actually thinking about buying a set of LED tails and bringing them to a paint shop to apply 3 parts black with 2 parts clear.

06Commander, I LOVE the color of your Jeep. I'll be honest, I'm a little jealous

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please excuse the dirty engine bay as I've been lazy in cleaning it out. I also did this mod weeks ago, but have also been lazy on updating my thread with this! :lol:

Thanks to a fellow member on here, I was able to pick this up half off!

There is a HUGE difference in sound, and I think I even may have gained 1MPG. I was used to seeing between 10-12MPG with the built-in computer. I now regularly see 11-13MPG between fill ups. I don't accelerate too quickly, but I do average 80MPH on the interstate, but I don't even care anymore at this point. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts