Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the dipstick on the hemi supposed to twisted or straight? My dipstick looks like it has been twisted at least a dozen times.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with your dipstick!

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Twisted dipstick sounds like the name of a new age rock band!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
How can you be sure...? ;) :stickpoke: hahahaha... :rofl::rofl::rofl:
There might be something wrong with your dipstick, but the others are ok:rofl:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Is the dipstick on the hemi supposed to twisted or straight? My dipstick looks like it has been twisted at least a dozen times.
that's normal .. to me it's a poor design ... a little bit extra twist or a bit less the the calibration of the oil fill would be out by a quart or two :(

I planned to do a COMPLETE oil drain ... then an EXACT fill to specs so I could calibrate the dipstick ...

.. but I added a remote aftermarket filter with two oil lines and never seem to manage to do an oil change without spilling some :(

So I just keep the oil level between the lines and hope it's right.

Next change I will try again and measure the aftermarket filter volume and the crankcase separate as I drain it and compare to specs

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im confused. Why wouldnt the oil level be right if its between the lines?????

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Im confused. Why wouldnt the oil level be right if its between the lines?????
If the exact factory twist is still in the dipstick it will be accurate ...but what if it's twisted or untwisted a little bit?

The cross hatched "safe" area is only what 2% of the dipsticks over all length? a small amount of "un-twisting' could make the dipstick's over all length a certian amount longer, causing the engine to be low on oil even if you haven't filled within the crosshatched "safe" area.

Try this take two 1/8" wide pieces of paper the exact same length ... now twist one around and around a dozen times and see how much shorter it gets then the straight one.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Oh, I see what your saying. I thought you were refering to not knowing if the level is right due to you adding the remote aftermarket filter.

I really cant see anything happening to the dipstick though causing a bad reading.

My Commander takes the exact amount of oil that the owners manual states and puts the oil level right where it needs to be on the dip stick.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Oh, I see what your saying. I thought you were refering to not knowing if the level is right due to you adding the aftermarket filter.
Ahhh ... yes that part was OK ... no worries there.

I really cant see anything happening to the dipstick.
[/quote]

It's not unheard of for dipsticks to be inaccurate from the factory ... stranger things have happened :) .. but you never know what happened or could happen when the Commander is out of our gentle care :( ... I'm thinking if a previous owner or careless garage drove over the dipstick or even just walked on it for a while for two examples.

My Commander takes the exact amount of oil that the owners manual states and puts the oil level right where it needs to be on the dip stick.
That's definitely a good practice we should all check that during an oil change ... That's actually comforting too AND the last post that says other cars use a twisted dipstick ... I have no experience with them and am speculating .. but I'm also going to defiantly check out the capacity when I do my next oil change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts