Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some twisted engineer who decided to put the O2 sensors or at least the connectors in the most difficult place to get to ought to he slapped. I was getting the O2 sensor codes which progressed to Cat inefficiency codes. Replaced the 4 O2 sensors yesterday, that's an all day job to drop the "Y" pipe and reinstall by the way. And if you try to tell me it can be done in the car I'd like to see you do it. I've been shade a tree mechanic for 40 years and never seen anything like that. I was wondering since the O2 codes have gone away, but still have the Cat codes if over time with the right air/fuel mixture if the cays will clean themselves? I can=t see replacing the whole "Y" for those two little Cats. Any thoughts?
:redcap:

·
Registered
147 Posts
my commander was throwing o2 codes when I bought it. They told me it was bad o2 sensors and an exhaust leak. I took it to my mechanic he changed out a coil pack and fixed a wheel bearing. Not saying this is your case but those codes can be misleading.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Some twisted engineer who decided to put the O2 sensors or at least the connectors in the most difficult place to get to ought to he slapped. I was getting the O2 sensor codes which progressed to Cat inefficiency codes. Replaced the 4 O2 sensors yesterday, that's an all day job to drop the "Y" pipe and reinstall by the way. And if you try to tell me it can be done in the car I'd like to see you do it. I've been shade a tree mechanic for 40 years and never seen anything like that. I was wondering since the O2 codes have gone away, but still have the Cat codes if over time with the right air/fuel mixture if the cays will clean themselves? I can=t see replacing the whole "Y" for those two little Cats. Any thoughts?
:redcap:
Ummm I replaced all 4 of my o2 sensors on my 4.7 liter Commander without having to pull the Y pipe. It took about 20-25 minutes to replace all 4 (not using a lift, laying on garage floor under the jeep). I even had mud caked in the connectors which made it more difficult

BTW I hope you used o2 sensor from the dealer and not a local auto parts store. Ask me how I know this lol

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ummm I replaced all 4 of my o2 sensors on my 4.7 liter Commander without having to pull the Y pipe. It took about 20-25 minutes to replace all 4 (not using a lift, laying on garage floor under the jeep). I even had mud caked in the connectors which made it more difficult

BTW I hope you used o2 sensor from the dealer and not a local auto parts store. Ask me how I know this lol
Same. Did all 4 in the driveway, about a half hour. Anything less than Mopar will throw codes and hesitate, attempt to stallw when pulling out after startup. Also found out the hard way. Mine were bosch.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Haha yep. I tried going cheap and replacing all 4 with Bosch. Found out the hard way they don't work on our jeeps even though they're listed as "direct replacement" o2 sensors. Made the jeep run like hell, misfires on multiple cylinders etc. If you look at them you will see the Bosch wiring is color coded differently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts